Thailand Affirms Neutral Stance on Russia-Ukraine Crisis

snoop1130

11 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I think, unofficially, Thailand is on Russia's side, but they can't risk saying so.

Thailand is always on the 'money-side', and Ukraine is economically insignificant for Thailand. (Plus, Thailand's best buddy's ????????

best buddy is Russia.)

This is a statement on what's right and what's wrong. It's clear that no one in government is  looking at the death and destruction in Ukraine. They might be focused on the parades in Russia as Putin tells them about all the Nazi's he is killing in Ukraine.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand has affirmed that it will not take sides in the Russia-Ukraine conflict, as the kingdom prepares to join a high-level U.S.-ASEAN meeting next week in Washington, D.C.

Predictable.... good luck later when you want to discuss bi-lateral trade.

According to the premier, the Russia-Ukraine crisis could be discussed between ASEAN leaders and U.S. Vice President Joe Biden during the meeting. However, he said he believed there were more pressing issues, such as the economy, trade and investment, as well as situations in the region that must be resolved immediately.

You might find Joe Biden asking for your answer on Russia/Ukraine before discussing those "other issues"

• Haha 1

According to officials, Deputy Prime Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwon will be in charge of national affairs while the Thai prime minister is in the United States

What a relief ... spare trousers on standby at the double????

5 hours ago, Capella said:

Wise decision. The Ukraine war is none of Thailand’s business, so why get involved?

It's none of the Western world's business either, but the West never can resist preaching and meddling. 

Ukraine is part of the Western world now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Another mindless patriot that doesn't know the backstory. 

Typical and quite predictable.

If you push a dog more and more into a corner he/she will charge at one moment. Is the fact that this dog attacks good??? NO. Is it a good thing to push this dog into the corner that much???? NO.

The story always has 2 sides. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Good news for Putin the rapacious.

I'm sure the irascible demi-man was shaking in his size 5 boots, thinking about the possibility of all those I.C.B.M's  ( inter continental bamboo missiles ) pointing at the Motherland...

The pressing issue is who gets to sing the theme song - Russia's Terry McCann, or Thailand's Arthur Daley ?

6 hours ago, garyk said:

I mentioned this earlier but, IMO all aid to Thailand should be cut and routed to Ukraine. 

That includes all foreign investments in Thailand. Japan and the US are the two biggest FI in Thailand to my knowledge. All US investments should be put on a 5 year withdrawal. 

Alas China would happily take up the mantle in exchange for a small port in the Gulf of Thailand.

Even historically neutral Switzerland has condemned what Putin and his bloodthirsty mob are perpetrating on their neighbor and threatening the rest of the world with nukes. If Cha Cha or anyone thinks for a minute that this doesn’t have worldwide implications they have their head in the sand.

• Like 1

According to the premier, the Russia-Ukraine crisis could be discussed between ASEAN leaders and U.S. Vice President Joe Biden during the meeting.

Well, that inspires confidence seeing as Cha Cha is nearly sixteen months behind the times......

1 hour ago, Cisco said:

Thailand declared neutrality in WWII as well… before joining the Axis.

I'm German by passport, and Germany was part of the Axis in WW2. I have never heard that Thais in WW2 fought side by side with Germany. 

• Like 2