Good Value Auto Tires

I recently had a severe, extended medical problem.  A good friend was incredibly generous with her time, driving me around to appointments, shopping, etc.    Soon, she will be driving from Pattaya to Phuket to take a new job.  The front tires on her car are noticeably worn so to show my appreciation for all the driving around she did for me, I want to buy her 2 new front tires. 

I can't afford premium tires but want them to be decent.

What value brands do you car owners prefer?  Is there any particular brand that stands out as special value?  

• Haha 1

To many variables here. Has she rotated her tyres front to back yet? Noticeably worn means what exactly - down to the thread wear marker? If the rears are ok you would normally get the same brand as its not normal to mix them. 

I would personally put be ok (and do) put cheaper tyres on my own car but i wouldn't gift them to someone else - in case of the small chance something ever happened. Michelin, Pirelli, Goodyear stick to them.

Give her 3 or 4 k as a gift and let her go to b-Quik herself. 

1 hour ago, dddave said:

can't afford premium tires but want them to be decent.

B.Quik and Cockpit are good for tyres at reasonable prices. 

Continental tyres are a reasonable price. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Jotnar said:

Name brands are dependable, if not fakes.  I would buy from the new car dealer, if they sell, some don't do tires.  As you'll know they are, should be authentic.

Dunlop are good, and I only mention that brand, as lots of fakes around, which I found out the hard way.   

DeeStone is one to stay away from, inexpensive, and you get what you pay for.  Found that out the hard way also.  The worst.

Learn how to 'read' a tire, especially if she dries at speed.  Last letter designated the speed the tire is rated for.  https://www.utires.com/articles/does-tire-size-number-mean/

Obviously, they should be the same as what is already on the car, assuming she will be rotating them.  Unless of course the rear one will be replaced before and rotation schedule.  If just rotating  front to back, then not a big deal, but if mixing during rotation, then could be an issue.  Always best to keep the same.

Ask her how many kms on the brand she has, and where she got them, and may be easier just to stick with them.   Tires are one thing you really don't want to skimp on.  Though they also don't have to be expensive.  No need to buy tires rated for 150 kph, if all she does is 90 kph on the highway.

Dunlop is now owned by various companies around the world using the brand name, in LOS it's Sumitomo Rubber...Many named brands are made in LOS too..

• Like 1

17 hours ago, warrima said:

Give her 3 or 4 k as a gift and let her go to b-Quik herself. 

Great suggestion. No need for the OP to worry about tire rotation, driving styles, fake tires or anything else and up to his gracious friend to either buy new rubber, pay bills or save it for later.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, vidgra said:

I agree that for the $hit cars that people mostly drive, it seems enough, we have some on the farm pickup, but for the benz, we only use Michelin.

Deestone for my Bentley.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, transam said:

Now let's leave MG out of this.....????....................????

Why, are those of us that own one incapable of installing quality tires when the time comes or once again your trolling like you so much like to do.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why, are those of us that own one incapable of installing quality tires when the time comes or once again your trolling like you so much like to do.

Oh, you bought one, but happy you will install better quality tyre than when it was new. 

Look for the encircled "E" on the sidewall, it means it is approved for European use.....????

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, vidgra said:

I agree that for the $hit cars that people mostly drive, it seems enough, we have some on the farm pickup, but for the benz, we only use Michelin.

So it's true - farmers are rich around the world... ????

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, transam said:

Oh, you bought one, but happy you will install better quality tyre than when it was new. 

Look for the encircled "E" on the sidewall, it means it is approved for European use.....????

So Bridgestone tires are not quality to you, good to know......

• Haha 1

Jotnar said:

No need to buy tires rated for 150 kph, if all she does is 90 kph on the highway.

This is very bad advice, they MUST be rated for at least the maximum speed of the car. Handbook will advise.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Lancashirelad said:

Jotnar said:

This is very bad advice, they MUST be rated for at least the maximum speed of the car. Handbook will advise.

Yikes ... I hope that really doesn't need to be pointed out.  When did buying tires become complicated.

The book will tell you, the dealer will tell you, what's on the car will tell you.  When the salesperson suggest something you'll feel safer with on the Autobahn with, well .... nuff said.

They do NOT have to be rated for the maximum speed of the car, unless you plan on driving that fast.  If you put tires on rated for a top speed of 100 kph, guess what your new recommended top speed of your car should be ?

If you only do 90 kph, you don't need rating of 200 kph.  Just buy the proper tire for the car, and that info is in multiple places.  Top speed is optional, as long as you buy the recommended minimum or more, and of course, don't drive over the rating.

Not rocket science.  Hmm ... hope nobody asks about torquing rocker arms or shimming a drive shaft ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And with rainy season here, decent tires/tyres  shouldn't be skimped on. 

Condition of the brake pads and fluid, road, rubber and speed directly influence braking distance.

Sometimes by just a few inches. That's what she said!

1 minute ago, kwak250 said:

I have seen good deals on a set of 4 bridgestone tyres for a pick up 

16k now i asked a few places and they want 24k 

Whats the chances of the lazada tyres being fakes?

That's an interesting question, never seen a fake tire before. However, I have seen tire companies claim they had steel belt radials tires but instead were selling Bias belted tires. Lawsuits abound.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/408/1219/1873698/

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

That's an interesting question, never seen a fake tire before. However, I have seen tire companies claim they had steel belt radials tires but instead were selling Bias belted tires. Lawsuits abound.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/408/1219/1873698/

A fifty year old trademark claim, seriously? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

A fifty year old trademark claim, seriously? 

Why, do you find my post out of context based upon the reply regarding fake tires.  Since the days of tires blowing out on Ford Explorers and others I have never seen a claim of fake tires thanks to the lawsuits that abounded and keep the industry on the right side for the consumers.  Now if you can give me examples of fake and unstable tires that come from Lazada I would appreciate it just as the poster I responded to asked.  If not <deleted> off, since you always attack my posts no matter what the OP is on.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why, do you find my post out of context based upon the reply regarding fake tires.  Since the days of tires blowing out on Ford Explorers and others I have never seen a claim of fake tires thanks to the lawsuits that abounded and keep the industry on the right side for the consumers.  Now if you can give me examples of fake and unstable tires that come from Lazada I would appreciate it just as the poster I responded to asked.  If not <deleted> off, since you always attack my posts no matter what the OP is on.

No, I just found it amusing that one would say something about not needing to worry about getting fake when ordering tires from Lazada in Thailand because of the numerous lawsuits that prevent it, and then linking to a fifty year old US trademark lawsuit that had nothing to do with fake tires. 

I would not worry about getting fake tires, but I would worry about getting blems/seconds. 

I am something of a piker, but given how long tires last, how important they are, and how relatively little they cost, I do not see enough upside to buying them from a non-reputable supplier. 

• Like 1

I am about to purchase these i asked at 2 of the most popular tyre places and the best they can do is 24k 

This is a 8k saving but will have to go to a small tyre shop to fit them might be a bit cheeky to go back and ask how much to fit the tyres i just bought cheaper on the internet would be,

Only concern is do they sell fakes for tyres as i have heard they do with some .

Screenshot 2022-05-19 033920.jpg

41 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

I am about to purchase these i asked at 2 of the most popular tyre places and the best they can do is 24k 

This is a 8k saving but will have to go to a small tyre shop to fit them might be a bit cheeky to go back and ask how much to fit the tyres i just bought cheaper on the internet would be,

Only concern is do they sell fakes for tyres as i have heard they do with some .

Screenshot 2022-05-19 033920.jpg

Can't say I have ever heard of counterfeit tyres, out of shelf life dates, yes.

But, If the tyre sidewall script says "Dunlup" or "Blidgestone", then walk away.....????

Remember, the tyres must have the encircled "E" on the sidewall, if not, again, walk away..????

• Like 1