Outrage over Thai public school that forces kindergarten students to wear military uniforms

webfact

People love to defend school uniforms.

The usual go-to argument is that a uniform makes each and every child "equal". Every child above P3 already understands exactly where each fits in the thai social pyramid. Notice that there is no standard mobile phone issued to each student. Everyone knows who the rich kids are, assuming they're even in a government school.

Another argument is that it saves parents money. Yeah, sure that's why pawn shops had to gear up for school supply buying season.

Yes, I'll  stipulate that ISB requires uniforms. Although they look pretty relaxed.

A simple polo shirt, and shorts (for boys and girls) would be sufficient. No number identifier. Allow five different color combinations, leaving it up to students to choose. Ease up on the hair requirements. And provide knee-pads if you insist on prostration.

Time to try new things as the old ones aren't working. Unless you just want to stifle individuality and creativity.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cdemundo said:

Are you referring to the government employees wearing military style uniforms?

I can understand what you are saying.

It's just that I haven't seen it in other nations.

Do other nations have civilian employees in government wear military uniforms?

Laos.

download-_1_.jpg

Edited by dinsdale
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Really? You discuss women's fashion choices, and their "reasoning", with a lot of government employees? That seems skeevy to me, unless you looking for advice. Does this topic just pop up? Do you broach this subject?

Or are you talking about CosPlay? 

Judging solely on recent observations at Immigration/Chaeng Watthana, nearly of the females would disagree with you.

(Maybe it was casual Tuesday, and Thursday when I recently visited?)

Really you do jump to conclusions, my former wife worn a uniform in Australia as did a number of friends such as medical professionals, airline staff etc

I have found over the years that discussing  various topics with people broadens your knowledge and as former lawyer something I did daily as a necessity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lucky Bones said:

Errrrr....I think there is a difference in "uniform" here.

The clue is in the military look-a-like uniforms complete with medals, ribbons, badges and whistles.

All designed to demand, not earn respect.

Yes I will concede on that point re read the article a bit over the top.

Probably started early with uniforms being a Cub then a Scout loved the woggle !!!!  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cdemundo said:

So many uniforms for different days seems excessive and expensive.

Camo seems to have lost its military association as every girl in the world seems to have multiple camo outfits in colors that don't allow a person to conceal themselves. Pink, blue, red camo for example. Men and women seem to have camo patterned clothes that  don't have any military significance.

The military uniforms that a lot of civil servants wear in Thailand seem strange to me as well.

I have a friend whose mother made her clothes when she was a kid, which revealed her family's modest financial means.

She told me "I would have given anything to wear a uniform to school and be like everyone else".

Sometimes there are multiple considerations to a question like this.

But clearly this is not popular with the parents.

It's more than strange to me, it's actually closer to "Brain Washing".

The Idea is down grade/destroy student personality, it's also a form "brain washing". In Australia it's even worse, students wear uniforms but not the Teacher. In the militaries everyone wears the uniform,

including the General!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Does someone have a surplus of camouflage fabric they are flogging off ? guess they don't keep kids sized jackboots. This whole military worship is scary. will they wear them on children's day ?

2013272493_images(24)-Copy.jpg.4196b26f5b01b6ac669cb6c362f522ad.jpg This need to stop IMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cdemundo said:

Are you referring to the government employees wearing military style uniforms?

I can understand what you are saying.

It's just that I haven't seen it in other nations.

Do other nations have civilian employees in government wear military uniforms?

A civil servant gets to wear a uniform to work and "whites" on parades...

to be looked upon as god-like.

• Like 1

When I was still married, I instituted a quite similar uniform schedule in my household -- of course only for the wife:

Monday was French maid uniform day;

Tuesday was sailor uniform day;

Wednesday was catsuit day;

Thursday was au-pair uniform day;

Friday was bunny suit day;

Saturday was bikini day;

Sunday was Catholic nun habit day;

Oh, those happy days! 

Edited by Misterwhisper
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, webfact said:

what appeared to be a military uniform.

Yes indeed, probably training them from an early age for the Thai Civil Service??

Back in the days when I lived in Thailand in Khon Kaen Province, this is what greeted me on a Monday morning (uniform day) when I went to pay my PEA electricity bill - the lady cashier dressed in military uniform complete with medal ribbons!! Totally over the top IMO. (stock photo - not the cashier):

คลังเผยจัดเก็บรายได้ 4 เดือนเกินกว่าเป้า 2.8 หมื่นล. -เงินคงคลัง 1.88 แสนล.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

People love to defend school uniforms.

Schoolsuniforms for students always create  discussions. It can be a way toshow that everyone is equal, because if you are poor, you can't afford expensive clothes and everyone will see that you are poor and the rich will their best to show off their brand made clothes.. and sometimes they are bullying the poor to tell them that they are wearing cheap clothes and are nothing. So schooluniforms take that away. But the teachers and Government officials don't nee to wear  a uniform army based... the same fabric for all teachers ok, but the army uniforms with stars and stripes and color strips should be forbidden. also for Government officials.. There is enough policemen and army that looks the same..You should be proud to have a own identity and wear what you want.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

When I was still married, I instituted a quite similar uniform schedule in my household -- of course only for the wife:

Saturday was bikini day;

Oh, those happy days! 

Photos or it didn't happen ????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

No wonder every uniform wearer in this country seems to have a paratrooper badge attached to their garb. I also guess they are cheaper if you buy them by the dozen.

It is the "airborne spirit"!

Mind you, having had some experience over the years of the organisational techniques and forward planning of, umh, our airborne brethren, it may go some way towards explaining the atmosphere of confusion, muddle and contradiction which surrounds so many official ventures and activities in the kingdom!

Paras feel free to bash a "hat"!

????

This discussion of militarism entrenched uniforms within the ranks of all government/civil service is surely missing the questioning base as to it's origins and stayed tradition. 

I suspect only a handful of sagacious individuals can comprehend the whys and wherefores - without mention. 

The crux that continues to handcuff the social order. 

14 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Uniforms, points deduction for not standing correctly at the National Anthem, deduction for not singing well enough, army uniform a day in the week now,. Same haircuts and so on...all brainwashing starting with the kids instead of free thinking and expression of feelings. I am wondering how long the people of Thailand will take these rules...But if the people will come in action there will be a new general in charge.. the country has stay in control

I doubt it will ever change. In 1997, when I came for the first time to Thailand, I was flabbergasted by all those uniforms everywhere. Having been to almost 30 countries in my life (incl. China, and Belarus, where a good number of uniforms can be seen on certain days), I have yet to see so many people in uniform day in, day out, as in Thailand.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Does someone have a surplus of camouflage fabric they are flogging off ? guess they don't keep kids sized jackboots. This whole military worship is scary. will they wear them on children's day ?

2013272493_images(24)-Copy.jpg.4196b26f5b01b6ac669cb6c362f522ad.jpg This need to stop IMO

Wonder what will be next; German WW2 uniforms with little swastikas?

Edited by StayinThailand2much

6 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Saturday was bikini day;

Oh, those happy days! 

If I had known you back then you most likely would have been my best friend and I would have visited every day.????????

• Haha 1

Yup Thailand has many uniforms, for almost every job. 

I guess getting these young kids to start getting used to wearing a uniform

may be great in the minds of the GM, PM and others in the military, however

I thought that Thailand was not a Military country, except for having a military.

I seem to remember that the military forces, The Airforce, the Army, the Navy

all have people besides their generals at the top.  That however should not factor in

some poor little kids in kindergarten being forced to wear some military looking uniform to attend school.

Just saying...

Very very disingenious title. Anyone with kids here would know thats pretty much par for the course. I dont agree with it per se but hardly something new.

And on a side note when i was a young bloke i would have loved the army uniform over the school uniform. So it would sports uniform 2 days a week and fatigues 3 days for me ????

Edited by starky

16 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Revoke his permit I would say.

You mean after an investigation, right?

I honestly don't know for sure that this is a private school, I assumed it is not but much of the reporting suggest that it is a "public" school. But it's not referred to as a government school.

https://www.facebook.com/MTlikesara/posts/560363505447116

It would be interesting to see what the rules are re: uniforms. I think there is some flexibility, if only for regional/cultural variations.

I did not know there is an all white uniform for buddhist holidays.