Face masks to be still needed in Thailand even after the emergency said Minster Anutin this week

webfact

4 minutes ago, Stefanix said:
7 hours ago, sandrew33 said:

Given a comprehensive peer reviewed study was released yesterday which showed ZERO benefit to ANY mask outside a proper fit tested N95 (as worn by health care workers in hospital settings) why are you supportive of masks at all? 

Can you please give a link or a hint how to find this study? I think masks are not necessary in today's situation, but have been effective in times of a certain infection rate and low vaccination rate. And I think THIS has been proven.

He's looking at masks from the singular perspective of protecting the wearer.

sandrew33 has ignored the fact that when it comes to respiratory viruses the reason masks are worn is to protect everyone else just incase the wearer is an an asymptomatic carrier. 

This is the very same reason surgeons and nurses were masks - not to protect the wearer but to protect the patients. 

That said: a well tightly fitted N95 masks has been proven to protect the wearer which sandrew33 points out. 

4 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Really it's time to move on, as most here are against wearing masks. I think they do help as I have been next to people with my mask on talking to them for some time and I haven't got covid yet. It pays to have a n95 mask that may be harder for some to breathe but they do work The cheap easy to breathe mask may be the problem why people still get covid with the masks on?

Exactly. So, if you are not going to make wearing an N95 or N99 mask mandatory, and allow cheap cloth masks to give some the false feeling of safety, why even bother? Or is this about something else entirely? 

• Like 1

Thought i'd be over there on a holiday shortly but i'm not having this*, i've had enough now, going to look elsewhere, the people who run the gaff are thick, power hungry jerks!

*lots of people are non-compliant with the rule i believe but at the end of the day it's still there and can still easily be 'abused' by the BiB.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kevc said:

Well looking at the live CCTV from Samui on YouTube hardly anyone wears a mask.

Samui is an odd one...

In day time....  in places like Central Cheweng people wear masks....  

On the Songthaew transport people wear masks...

Inside any resort, no one is wearing a mask except when walking to their table at the breakfast buffet.

Outside in the night time in the street and all bars and restaurants, no one is wearing a mask.

The rules are sort of becoming ‘self defined’ by society...  

Similar is very slowly starting to occur in Bangkok...  its slowly becoming relaxed with less sanctimony... 

At least until we get the next thread when a foreigner gets into an argument with someone else in a lift after telling them to put on their mask !!! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ty Hareways said:

Thought i'd be over there on a holiday shortly but i'm not having this*, i've had enough now, going to look elsewhere, the people who run the gaff are thick, power hungry jerks!

*lots of people are non-compliant with the rule i believe but at the end of the day it's still there and can still easily be 'abused' by the BiB.

You are cancelling a holiday because you may be in areas were wearing a mask in public is expected??....   erm... :whistling:

Its not as if mask wearing in the beach, pool, resort etc is expected... 

In resort area’s no one is wearing a mask (except walking into breakfast)...  But, if you go on to the BTS, into a shopping mall, supermakert, 7-11 etc... you are expected to pop on your mask. 

Its hardly worth 'cutting your nose of to spite your face’ and spoiling your holiday in a childish petulant manner of protest...  

The police don’t care... no one is getting charged for non-mask wear. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Exactly. So, if you are not going to make wearing an N95 or N99 mask mandatory, and allow cheap cloth masks to give some the false feeling of safety, why even bother? Or is this about something else entirely? 

Most of my friends listened to their wives and wore these cheap easy to breathe masks and they now have covid. Who should walk the walk of shame?

On 5/13/2022 at 7:00 AM, Bkk Brian said:

Well if I was aware I was getting in a lift with a bunch of covid infected people I would wear a good mask. Feel free to try the same experiment without one

...if I was aware I was getting in a lift with a bunch of covid infected people... I'd get off the lift.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I am not sure if it’s the requirement to wear masks that is keeping people away as the tourists I have seen around Chiang Mai in recent weeks are not wearing them.

I would suggest that it’s more likely the requirement to obtain the Thailand Pass and in particular the insurance requirement and prior to its removal the quarantine and testing.

It’s hardly helping though. The idea of going to Thailand and then having to go back in time to mask wearing everywhere isn’t appealing. Even moreso in hot season. 

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You are cancelling a holiday because you may be in areas were wearing a mask in public is expected??....   erm... :whistling:

Its not as if mask wearing in the beach, pool, resort etc is expected... 

In resort area’s no one is wearing a mask (except walking into breakfast)...  But, if you go on to the BTS, into a shopping mall, supermakert, 7-11 etc... you are expected to pop on your mask. 

Its hardly worth 'cutting your nose of to spite your face’ and spoiling your holiday in a childish petulant manner of protest...  

The police don’t care... no one is getting charged for non-mask wear. 

It’s a massive pain the <deleted>. You being in the “just pop one on” group are those who either are used to them or aren’t bothered by them. They are a pain in the <deleted> and definitely impact on my travel choices. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Control control control. Wonder how many heart attacks and stress these horrible things are causing to people in a hot country, let alone the waste and pollution. At least make it only mandatory indoors. Having a lone cyclist in the middle of nowhere mask up is a little extreme, no?

Children!

Yeah, I'm over it (covid situation) too.

Everyone should get vaccinated and move on as normal

1 hour ago, Stefanix said:

Can you please give a link or a hint how to find this study? I think masks are not necessary in today's situation, but have been effective in times of a certain infection rate and low vaccination rate. And I think THIS has been proven.

Feel free to provide your proof. ???? (As long as it’s not that long discredited Bangladesh “study”) 

https://academic.oup.com/jid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/infdis/jiac195/6582941?login=false

7 hours ago, DezLez said:

What a stupid comment to make regarding the mask/epidemic/pandemic discussion!

I suppose you want the surgeons etc. to wear the same dispossable masks that we are mandated to wear because of the epidemic and not proper surgical masks?

I think he was making a joke

• Haha 1

Just now, sandrew33 said:

It’s a massive pain the <deleted>. You being in the “just pop one on” group are those who either are used to them or aren’t bothered by them. They are a pain in the <deleted> and definitely impact on my travel choices. 

I hate them and avoid wearing them where ever its sensibly appropriate. 

They are also pain in the backside... 

They fog up my sunglasses, so I don’t wear them outdoors. 

They make slightly heavier breathing uncomfortable so I don’t wear them when riding a bicycle etc 

I think they are dangerous when riding a motorcycle, so I don’t wear them.

I live in Bangkok, the last time I wore a mask was a few days ago in a shop. 

You are correct though, I am in the ‘just pop one on group’....  because ‘bigger picture’ how hard is it to just put on a mask for a few mins in a shop ???? 

So... I ‘pop one on' when in a busy area because that is simply respectful of those around me.

There are far bigger issues which impact my travel choices than mask wearing... I can’t say I’d ever be that petty...  

On 5/13/2022 at 2:13 PM, sandrew33 said:

Why do surgeons wear masks ??....    to prevent the spread of any virus they may be carrying into a sterile environment. It's not to protect themselves. 

When you quoted the effectiveness of N95 masks you did so from the perspective of protecting the wearer not society in general and in doing so you have not understood the primary reason mask wearing became a a requirement. 

Mask wearing remains an effective tool in preventing the spread of Covid-19 and any other respiratory virus such as colds etc.

IF someone has a cold, wear a mask, if someone has Covid-19, wear a mask, it will help prevent others from catching when out and about. 

There are plenty of studies out there which supports mask wearing - I’m not going to find them for you. 

Now... mask wearing is uncomfortable and annoying... so, there is also no need to wear them at all times. 

But, if in proximity to others on public transport etc, or if someone has a cold, wearing masks does make a difference.

6 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Read my post again for clarification and the post I was replying to without your own assumptions on what I will do in the future

Okay, I'll bite. You said "Well if I was aware I was getting in a lift with a bunch of covid infected people I would wear a good mask. Feel free to try the same experiment without one".

Pray tell: how would you become 'aware' of their Covid status?

And you'll wear 'a good mask' because of this knowledge. So ... if you were aware it was a bunch of Covid-free folk, you wouldn't wear a mask? Or perhaps not wear 'a good one'? 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

to make sure that the public, including foreign tourists, continues to wear face masks even after the virus has been declared endemic i

Why??? Does "Mister Concrete" own a face mask manufacturing company?

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

wear a mask out of courtesy to others, and to avoid fines

Who has ever been fined for not wearing a mask (apart from Prayuth)? 

Down here in the lower Sukhumvit area I walk past those reprehensible Tessakit City Police guys every day without a mask and they couldn't care less. Their attention is solely focused on fleecing hapless tourists for dropping cigarette butts (it's like the first cuckoo of spring ... the Tessakit re-appeared last month w=along with the first tourists).

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Okay, I'll bite. You said "Well if I was aware I was getting in a lift with a bunch of covid infected people I would wear a good mask. Feel free to try the same experiment without one".

Pray tell: how would you become 'aware' of their Covid status?

And you'll wear 'a good mask' because of this knowledge. So ... if you were aware it was a bunch of Covid-free folk, you wouldn't wear a mask? Or perhaps not wear 'a good one'? 

I wouldn't become aware, it was a hypothetical scenario about the risk of being in an enclosed space with infected people please see my reply to this direct question in a previous post, it may make it easier to understand for you:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1259498-face-masks-to-be-still-needed-in-thailand-even-after-the-emergency-said-minster-anutin-this-week/?do=findComment&comment=17356339

11 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Control control control. Wonder how many heart attacks and stress these horrible things are causing to people in a hot country, let alone the waste and pollution. At least make it only mandatory indoors. Having a lone cyclist in the middle of nowhere mask up is a little extreme, no?

Children!

A local plod told Mrs Possum to tell me I must wear a mask riding my bike for exercise or I will get fined. I told her to point him out to me and we will see if I get fined.

• Like 1

I have stopped or reduced since i caught covid to the bear minimal i hate the damn things

And the mask muppets on thai TV are stupid looking.

I lived in spain last year didn't catch covid or wear a mask

Will tourism accommodate those who wont? or will they be asked to "Mask in amazing Thailand"