Four-day holiday with two official events to be observed in Thailand, starting from Friday, Alcohol sales ban on Sunday

webfact

28 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

ploughing cderemony on FRiday the 13th... Looking for the horoscope on a day of unluck ...

A buffalo, a plough and [pre-bought] alcohol what could possible go wrong.

More then wiggly lines. ????

• Haha 2

Just now, dinsdale said:

Today (Fri) is not a public holiday. You would think they could get this right.

My recollection of this 'Ploughing' holiday was always that it was a low key, non-event. Yet I hear immigration are closed, and I am going to get a bunch of relatives paying a visit! 

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

My recollection of this 'Ploughing' holiday was always that it was a low key, non-event. Yet I hear immigration are closed, and I am going to get a bunch of relatives paying a visit! 

As Royal Ploughing Day is a holiday for civil servants and state enterprise workers, and government offices will be closed. Banks and companies carry on as...

Royal Ploughing Ceremony in Thailand in 2022 | Office Holidays

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

S

I am pretty sure that the no alcohol sales are for the actual holiday on Sunday, not sure if it includes the observed day of Monday.  Cant have folks drunk now when they are given reverence to Siddhartha now can we.  I am watching the Ploughing ceremony on the television now, and I am starting to wish I had a drink in my hand right now as I listen to the announcer and watch them walk in a circle.....surely those in attendance are thinking the same thing as it appears to be bloody hot out.

1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:

What exactly is being observed?

From the OP

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Royal Ploughing Ceremony... is to mark the beginning of the rice-growing season in Thailand.

and

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Visakha Bucha Day to commemorate the birth, enlightenment, and death of the Buddha Siddhartha.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I am pretty sure that the no alcohol sales are for the actual holiday on Sunday, not sure if it includes the observed day of Monday.  Cant have folks drunk now when they are given reverence to Siddhartha now can we.  I am watching the Ploughing ceremony on the television now, and I am starting to wish I had a drink in my hand right now as I listen to the announcer and watch them walk in a circle.....surely those in attendance are thinking the same thing as it appears to be bloody hot out.

Yes, dry Sunday only.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I am wondering always why there is an extra holiday after a Buddhist holiday on a weekend.. Alcohol is banned than, so nobody will have a hangover and couldgo to work. Or is it because the alcohol is banned they have to drink the missed glasses/bottles on the extra day off?

If the public holiday is on a weekend there is a day off in lieu of. This also happens in Australia but I don't know about other countries. I suspect it will be the same.

• Like 1

Just now, NanLaew said:

Like Easter Bank Holidays.

And Easter!

Is easter really BS.  I guess if you look at the way it has become commercialized with candy and colored eggs then you could be right. However, from a religious standpoint it is far from BS unless you do not follow the religious aspects and meaning it carries, of course using the true names of the days would be the way to discuss it and not call it Easter.

Royal Ploughing ceremony day is very symbolic for the Thai's, well those that believe, like me using the Farmers Almanac when I planted in the US.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

If the public holiday is on a weekend there is a day off in lieu of. This also happens in Australia but I don't know about other countries. I suspect it will be the same.

Yes same in the US

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

There will be 100's of thousands maybe millions of drunk Thais on Sunday. Just rediculous. Out in the villages getting drinks will not be a problem. It's just the religious right stamping their authority in conjuction with an ultra conservative military govt. 

And this obviously upsets you. Why?