As schools prepare to reopen, what toll has COVID taken on Thailand’s children?

webfact

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The toll will be on how they will now need to learn how to socialize with fellow students whom they have not seen in almost 2 years.

Most of these kids will be OK.  The ones that are going to have trouble are the Mat 1, 2  and as they will be attending new schools and not have the friendships that they had at Pratom.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 4:32 PM, Bkk Brian said:

Refer to my first post in this string, just about covers the circle you've made

The proof will be in the pudding. I think they will be ok but "experts say their emotional and other needs must be addressed as they make the big switch from two years of home learning". Personally I don't think this will be the case. Kids are kids. They'll just get on with. Most will be happy to be back at school and 100% all parents/guardians will be very happy too.

On 5/16/2022 at 5:27 PM, dinsdale said:

The proof will be in the pudding. I think they will be ok but "experts say their emotional and other needs must be addressed as they make the big switch from two years of home learning". Personally I don't think this will be the case. Kids are kids. They'll just get on with. Most will be happy to be back at school and 100% all parents/guardians will be very happy too.

I guess some like to have preperations in place rather than wait for things to happen as they tend to do in Thailand. Fortunatly most Internatinal schools here and all schools in the UK have this in place already

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I guess some like to have preperations in place rather than wait for things to happen as they tend to do in Thailand. Fortunatly most Internatinal schools here and all schools in the UK have this in place already

Well there you go. You have been talking about international schools. Very, very big divide from the top to the bottom. Again I can't see a problem other than disruption in the classroom as they all catch up. It will settle down. Have the kids had some sort of mental/emotional trauma from this? Maybe. How much? Hard to know. More likely they've just got lazier.  Thai schools, not elite/international/private Thai schools, have no councilors/child psycholigists. Again IMO the kids will be fine. As for preperations, what preperations can be put in place in schools that don't have the resources. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Well there you go. You have been talking about international schools. Very, very big divide from the top to the bottom. Again I can't see a problem other than disruption in the classroom as they all catch up. It will settle down. Have the kids had some sort of mental/emotional trauma from this? Maybe. How much? Hard to know. More likely they've just got lazier.  Thai schools, not elite/international/private Thai schools, have no councilors/child psycholigists. Again IMO the kids will be fine. As for preperations, what preperations can be put in place in schools that don't have the resources. 

I was talking about best practice. Pretty simple concept to understand, you may want to refer to my first post in this thread

Edited by Bkk Brian

On 5/16/2022 at 6:17 PM, Bkk Brian said:

I was talking about best practice. Pretty simple concept to understand, you may want to refer to my first post in this thread

Ok so one 'expert' (we all know about Thai 'experts') suggests "that schools devote the first month of the upcoming semester to healing children emotionally." Sorry but this is complete BS and IMO a non-story. Time to move on. Kids are back to school and that's that. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Ok so one 'expert' (we all know about Thai 'experts') suggests "that schools devote the first month of the upcoming semester to healing children emotionally." Sorry but this is complete BS and IMO a non-story. Time to move on. Kids are back to school and that's that. 

I doubt he meant full time but as part of the curriculum as in other countries and only for those who obviously would need it. Jeez

18 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

2 years with no school.

Surely this is a benefit?  No military uniforms; no bullying staff; no Head teachers haranguing the pupils in the playground; no rote learning?  My first Headmaster used to elongate breaks on sunny days, saying, 'the kids'll learn more in the playground then in the classroom on days like today.'

Edited by mikebell
extra thoughts.
  • Like 1

1st day,had some business not far from son's school so mum wanted to call in and see how he was doing.

Caught him just coming out for lunch.

Funny,mum jumps out of car to pamper him in front of other students.

He winks at me and gives the thumbs up.

So mum quickly back in car and we were gone.

All good. 

I teacher from Azhzbectizstoulo.   No worry I do crime check now I saw kids tomorrow and next next day and taught ur kids next next week.

your in gud hands I super English talker

i will never loose faith I learn ok ok thank yiuSir

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

I teacher from Azhzbectizstoulo.   No worry I do crime check now I saw kids tomorrow and next next day and taught ur kids next next week.

your in gud hands I super English talker

i will never loose faith I learn ok ok thank yiuSir

Along with your Filipino friends I now know why my ex's kids had such bad English. 

Edited by Mr Meeseeks

My stepdaughters boy loves dinosars is inquisitive and going to school  will force him  to learn junk and sing songs about a regime that's outdated and irrelevant. ..... educated....not a hope in hell!!