Pattaya: Rescue services called as Honda CRV bursts into flames in parking lot - driver baffled

webfact

9pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Naew Na reported on an incident in the parking lot of the Outlet Mall in Pattaya when a car burst into flames yesterday.

Forty five year old Atchalee had arrived to do some business in the store. 

She was soon told by a staffer that her vehicle was on fire.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

637551.jpg

Sawang Boriboon managed to lift the hood and found sparking by the battery. They used water and chemical extinguishers to put out the blaze in ten minutes. 

It didn't cause damage to any other vehicles or any injuries.

The media quoted the owner of the car as saying she was baffled as to how a car can just burst into flames like this. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

637550.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I once picked my truck up from repair after some dimwit had run into the back and I got it fixed on his insurance.... My Mrs was taking it on a drive to Issarn so I had a check under the bonnet.... the battery terminals had just been pushed over the posts and not tightened, and the battery itself was banging around on the tray, as it had not been clamped down.  These cretins can't be trusted..

Sounds like what happened here,loose battery clamps not tightened up

1 hour ago, Ombra said:

It looks like a pretty old CRV.

Yeah, it's probably been to every Somchai mechanic workshops in the area. 

Somchai's workmanship is questionable at times, probably faulty wiring circuit (not fused) caused the fire. 

And right there in the very first Photo, is a Guy lifting the Bonnet of the Car thats on fire.

Possibly a Guy who has not been Trained, and is very lucky to escape without severe burns

The very thing that should NEVER be done, as the sudden rush of air will possibly cause an explosion, or at least a severe flame blast..

Always apply Fire retardant from underneath the car.

21 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:
6 hours ago, webfact said:

They used water

On an electrical fire?

What would you use to extinguish an electrical car fire in Thailand parking lot? 

I know it's not recommended but I would think the only option other than water is sand if available or smother the fire with a blanket or similar. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

Just now, SAFETY FIRST said:

What would you use to extinguish an electrical car fire in Thailand parking lot? 

Dry chemical powder or CO2 would do the job. Also clean agent extinguishers are good for this type of stuff.

As per the article they seem to have used water and dry chem, so perhaps they used water to cool the bonnet so they could open it, who knows?

At our factories and offices we have the correct types of extinguishers depending on the likely class of fire in that respective area, and all our personnel get basic fire training to Thai Dept. of Labour requirements every year. I very much doubt any of them would have a clue what extinguisher to use in the event of a real fire, so we try to make it easier for them and we have designated responders that should know.

• Thanks 1

I have always maintained my tools and equipment and take my truck to Mitsubishi for service there I can be assured I am getting qualified mechanics working on my vehicle. I can see this vehicle is old and maybe poorly maintained. The lack of maintenance and trusting a shad tree mechanic are a problem waiting to happen. 

4 hours ago, Kenneth White said:

and take my truck to Mitsubishi for service there I can be assured I am getting qualified mechanics working on my vehicle.

MB did not top up my coolant during a routine service yet charged me for it. 

You can't trust anyone to do anything properly here. TIT. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

MB did not top up my coolant during a routine service yet charged me for it. 

He checked the level by viewing it on the side of the plastic bottle!