"Keep wearing masks" says PM as Covid cases in recently opened schools show small increase

webfact

4 hours ago, Carriesatousa said:

What do vaccinations have to do with it? Most of the people where I work that got covid.... are vaccinated. If you're vaccinated, you can still pass it and still get it.

I've been vaxxed, and had Covid since.

I'm sure they have nothing to do with it. So what does?

My question is, if not relax mask mandates now, then WHEN?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, champers said:

I heard on the local Pattaya radio station this morning that all over 60s may be required to keep on wearing a mask. Time to get a facelift, perhaps.

Or start dyeing my hair black to get rid of my gray.   Now that would be a first for me.  Not, I think I'll just keep wearing a mask until they're forced to remove the mandates for all.  I like my gray hair.  They'll probably start checking farang passports again everywhere just to try and make up their deficit like that alone could do it.  555  I think they've already done way too much damage through the last recent years to start bringing back in millions or billions of millionaires or billionaires back to Thailand in masses that they keep dreaming.  Or just ridiculously

delusional.  As said many times before, they keep shooting themselves in their foot.  Or both feet it seems like more and more now with Mr. T and Mr. P shaking hands.  Moving on up or just ???? kissing @$$?

• Haha 1

Today I was a tad drunk in the afternoon and decided I needed some beer from Mom & Pop shop.

Half way walking there, after fending off 6 Soi dogs, I realised I wasn't wearing a mask.

Mom not worried.

Thankfully I got back to my house past the dogs with my beer, having found some discarded blue PVC piping.

Masks? Least of my problems.

Edited by Lucky Bones
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that people should still wear masks in public areas and at large gatherings.

only brainless people do not know that and need someone to tell them 

I guess many of them if not in US and EU, but fortunately not here !

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, tomster said:

Why do people keep saying people in Pattaya don't wear mask?

In the bars obviously they don't but just about everywhere else about 80% of people are masked inside and outside.

I live and work in Pattaya and I drive around constantly, it's just total rubbish that people have stopped wearing masks here.

And most Thai's are also still really scared of Covid as well.

Your last point simply undermines the crass irresponsibility of the Thai government .

If Thais are still terrified of Covid , its suits their masters just fine , keep the populace downtrodden, scared and meek !

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

When people are in close contact with non family members, especially at indoors public places, masks work TWO ways, and numerous studies and research efforts have confirmed it.

1. Wearing a mask will help prevent YOU from spreading the virus to others if you are infected, and especially with Omicron, there are significant numbers of people with no symptoms or few symptoms that they might not notice they are.

2. Wearing a mask helps prevent you from potentially catching the virus from OTHERS around you in close proximity who may be infected.

No, they're not 100% effective, nothing is. But the better the mask, the better the level of protection, with properly worn and fit N95 type masks being the most effective available to consumers.

But any mask properly worn and maintained is going to have more preventive effect that wearing nothing. And the protection improves if both you and those around you are both wearing masks.

Whether people should wear masks and what government masking policies exist should be related to what level of COVID activity/transmission is occurring in that place. 

And for Thailand, I'm not convinced that COVID is not still actively spreading around the country... My guess is, it's just not being tested for and reported as much.

268312987_Screenshot1.jpg.c66a94cd4686e54d4bff4a5ec0a7f60a.jpg

"Consistent use of a face mask or respirator in indoor public settings was associated with lower odds of a positive SARS-CoV-2 test result (adjusted odds ratio = 0.44). Use of respirators with higher filtration capacity was associated with the most protection, compared with no mask use."

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7106e1.htm?s_cid=mm7106e1_w

All the stuff many people here keep shouting about how mask wearing is some kind of government control measure to keep the public subdued or under control is nonsense.

Face mask wearing in a time of COVID is a public health protection measure, period.

Testing has been a shambles and infection figures have been fudged from the start , so you may be right.

How the WHO tools keep a straight face, when lionising Thailand's covid performance, is frankly beyond me.

If the country had a free press and fair elections , the current mob would be out of the door.

One has to decide if covid is still a threat ( and the government has been lying ) or the masks are now simply a symptom of political control ( and the government has been lying ) 

Up to you !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

I'm in France atm. Very very few wear masks now. All restrictions have been lifted except masks still to be worn in medical facilities. Covid is no longer news.. Life goes on. People are happy again except over spiralling cost of living and the war in Ukraine.

Exactly the situation in the UK also 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, champers said:

I heard on the local Pattaya radio station this morning that all over 60s may be required to keep on wearing a mask. Time to get a facelift, perhaps.

LOL! I have been taking Testosterones therapy TRT injections in hopes that this will shave 15 years off my appearance. All though facelifts are a good idea but to expensive. 

• Haha 1

Not. Haven't been wearing routinely for months. Keep one handy if anyone insists or denies entry, but they don't and won't because #1 they desperately want/need the money and don't want it to go elsewhere and #2 have had enough of the Covidiocy, even if still complying. 

Vast majority of foreigners are not masking in Jomtien nor Chiang Mai, where just spent 3 weeks. Most Thais are wearing them, but "looser" with and about them now. It's over. This place is so ridiculous and all for show. Makes the upper idiots feel important and in control. Time for everyone to silently speak up and lose the freakin' masks. :coffee1:

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, tomster said:

In the bars obviously they don't but just about everywhere else about 80% of people are masked inside and outside.

I live and work in Pattaya and I drive around constantly, it's just total rubbish that people have stopped wearing masks here.

It simply depends on where you are. Out on the streets, in the Buakhao area say, you will not see much mask wearing. In the Malls you will. It is still a requirement in public places. I also see many wearing masks as they come in and out of restaurants, indoor and outdoor. 

What people do in Denmark, New Zealand or Timbuktu is not relevant.

I agree there are still a lot of Thai still scared of Covid, for that reason I think people should wear them where required, or at least where the majority of people do so.

Comparing it to Gestapo tactics is mind numbing crazy talk!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, tomster said:

Sorry just checking, so the bars are open in Pattaya till 11 pm ?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I think officially it is midnight, but some are pushing it to 2am.... and some keep going later but with lights low. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Purdey said:

So many seem to think not wearing masks is a good idea. Just discovered a woman a few doors down died of Covid. I guess Thailand can afford to accept more deaths but what happens when tourists find out numbers were covered up?

If only people who don't want to wear masks would tell their doctor next time they have an operation that they don't want the surgeon and nurses to wear a mask! But they won't because they don't want to die.

Maybe you should ask yourself why surgeons wear masks during surgery?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

I go out everyday, multiple times. Most Thais are wearing masks, I do see the odd one not wearing a mask. At bars and restaurants only the servers are wearing masks, obviously. If you go into Central Dept Store everyone is wearing masks, cos you have to. But people just walking around in Pattaya and Jomtien are mostly wearing them.You say utter nonsense, I say to you utter nonsense! LOL

@mikeymike100 you need glasses.  no doubt you wear a mask, so to try and justify it to yourself, you delude yourself into thinking everyone else is wearing them.  i don't know what bars you are going in as most girls aren't wearing them in there either.  

Edited by paulikens
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Varies widely, some close on time, some go till the early hours. Depends on how much you pay the police I guess.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Out on the streets, in the Buakhao area say, you will not see much mask wearing.

Agreed that the level of mask wearing there is not the same as elsewhere, but Buakhao is like a microclimate - most other places in Pattaya mask wearing is still at approx 90% and will be until they drop the mandate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, paulikens said:

@mikeymike100 you need glasses.  no doubt you wear a mask, so to try and justify it to yourself, you delude yourself into thinking everyone else is wearing them.  i don't know what bars you are going in as most girls aren't wearing them in there either.  

Pattaya is a reasonably sized city stretching from the Northern end of Naklua down to the South end of Jomtien right out to Pong on the darkside - it's all Pattaya.

Outside of the bar streets that you frequent (which make up about 1% of the population of Pattaya) mask wearing is still absolutely the norm, until you sit down in restaurants. Most Thais will still wear them walking into a restaurant before taking them off when they have ordered their food.

Maybe the bar girls of Buakhao have very strong immune systems after repeated infections of God knows what and therefore don't feel the need to wear them? At the end of the day those bars pay the police a heap of tea money and the police were hurting when they were all shut - there is no way they will enforce mask wearing there.

For the record, I hate masks and think they are not only pointless...

Edited by onthedarkside
misinfo comments removed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, BayArea said:

Like I said before,  Thailand will have a hard time lifting the much awaited masks mandate completely. It has become a vital weapon for this junta to control the mass without firing a single shot. As long they conditioned the population about the risks of covid, they will appear to be in control.  This perpetual fear prevents street protests and large public gatherings to challenge this unlawful government. 

Well said. What is the security apparatus left do do with when no masks?! Right, now they're all over monkey pox.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, paulikens said:

I didn't say everyone is wearing masks, obviously you need spectacles! Some people are not wearing masks as I said in my previous post, but the majority are wearing masks in my observation. You think differently, that's fine. No one is being delusional here.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tomster said:

Pattaya is a reasonably sized city stretching from the Northern end of Naklua down to the South end of Jomtien right out to Pong on the darkside - it's all Pattaya.

Outside of the bar streets that you frequent (which make up about 1% of the population of Pattaya) mask wearing is still absolutely the norm, until you sit down in restaurants. Most Thais will still wear them walking into a restaurant before taking them off when they have ordered their food.

Maybe the bar girls of Buakhao have very strong immune systems after repeated infections of God knows what and therefore don't feel the need to wear them? At the end of the day those bars pay the police a heap of tea money and the police were hurting when they were all shut - there is no way they will enforce mask wearing there.

For the record, I hate masks and think they are not only pointless...

@tomster  actually i did word that completely wrong. what i meant was at least 50% of foreigners weren't wearing them and more than likely more than that.  because as you said a lot of foreigners realise they're pointless. But Thais still have an irrational fear of covid.  and even if they lift the mandate a lot of Thais will carry on wearing them. as Thais don't do logical thinking.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I think officially it is midnight, but some are pushing it to 2am.... and some keep going later but with lights low. 

You are correct, officially its midnight, but some bars either have good connections with the police or deep pockets!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

I didn't say everyone is wearing masks, obviously you need spectacles! Some people are not wearing masks as I said in my previous post, but the majority are wearing masks in my observation. You think differently, that's fine. No one is being delusional here.

@mikeymike100 and i didn't say everyone wasn't wearing masks

• Haha 1