Personal Data Protection Law comes into force on June 1

webfact

1 hour ago, Swampy999 said:

Is that why certain internet shopping sites and banks etc have recently amended their terms and conditions ???????? Either click 'agree' or go forth and multiply.

As for assuring the public their data will be protected, will the departments collecting this data have a more secure password, maybe a capital 'A' then 'dmin' ????????

Click (Agree)   (Later)  ????

55 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Didn't see anything about penalties etc for NOT doing it.

So another 100 bt fine? Meaningless and no deterrent . Another seen to be doing but actually in reality, "carry on chaps"

Edit:

It's in the full article;

one million baht fine on conviction.

If the unauthorised use or disclosure of personal data causes damage to other people or subjects other people to hate, shame or contempt, violators may face six months in prison and/or a fine of 500,000 baht on conviction.

I think the key words there are "on conviction"

Will the compensation be more than the legal fees in getting the conviction, if getting a conviction is possible?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

Will the compensation be more than the legal fees in getting the conviction, if getting a conviction is possible?

Agreed, you can imagine the outcome if its a government dept  immigration as an example.

A user’s guide to Thailand’s controversial new data protection law

image.jpeg

The Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) will finally come into force on June 1, 2022. The law aims to guarantee protection for individuals and their personal data and to impose obligations for businesses and state agencies regarding the collection, processing, use, and disclosure of personal information. (Photo by Sai Kiran Anagani)

Postponed twice since 2019, Thailand’s first law on personal data protection will finally come into force this Wednesday (June 1) – despite last-minute efforts by the private sector to delay its implementation for another two years.

The Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) of 2019 aims to guarantee protection for individuals and their personal data and to impose obligations for businesses and state agencies regarding the collection, processing, use, and disclosure of personal information.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The legislation is based on the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation, which came into force in 2016.

The PDPA also applies to data controllers and processors outside Thailand if they process personal data of data owners in Thailand and offer goods and services to, or monitor the behavior of, those data owners.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/a-users-guide-to-thailands-controversial-new-data-protection-law/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-05-31

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

She said that the law will provide assurance to members of the public that their personal data will be protected and will not be used by unauthorised people.

Have they told immigration about this change in the law?  Doubtful or they will just ignore it anyway.

How interesting and what a load of crock! Depending on my sweet talk I can get any bank balance of another account, to find out the address of a phone number you just go and pay a 50 Baht into that number credit and you get a receipt with the address and my credit card issuer informs me yearly, that they submitted my payment record on the payment for my credit card to the National Credit Information something. 
We've seen breaches of databases, governmental as well as the private industry - so welcome to data protection area ???? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lee4Life said:

Pass laws to protect personal information but make vpn's illegal.

Why ultimately trust a VPN  service anyway.

Oh no,  they are knocking at the front door now. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

got to go  !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Orinoco said:

Why ultimately trust a VPN  service anyway.

Oh no,  they are knocking at the front door now. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

got to go  !!!!!!!!!!!!

VPNs are /required for many purposes besides security/data protection!

• Sad 1