10 wounded in South Carolina mass shooting, mayor confirms

onthedarkside

Screenshot_6.jpg.d121b1f3d6fbd1744c688956f4628fdf.jpg

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) - Charleston Mayor John Tecklenburg said 10 people were wounded in a mass shooting last night in downtown Charleston late Monday night.

Charleston Police Chief Luther Reynolds said an officer responded to noise complaint about a loud party at a vacant lot in the 40 block of South Street.

“Immediately the officer took gunfire,” Reynolds said. “Two shots went into his cruiser, and let me tell you something: as we stand here right now, we’re lucky we don’t have a dead cop or dead citizens or dead community members.”

The shooting victims include one 17-year-old and nine adults, Reynolds said.

(more)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/watch-live-10-wounded-in-charleston-mass-shooting-mayor-confirms/ar-AAXUIAC?li=BBnb7Kz

Screenshot_7.jpg.292bd8d6e0681aae614cc8f08ca05ac9.jpg

• Sad 2

This tally below includes the South Carolina shootings reported above:

9 killed, more than 60 injured in Memorial Day weekend mass shootings

The Gun Violence Archive said it recorded at least 14 mass shootings, in which four or more victims were shot or killed, across the nation over the long weekend.

Amid calls for gun control after last week's massacre at a Uvalde, Texas, elementary school, shots rang out across the country over the Memorial Day weekend, with more than a dozen mass shootings in the span of 72 hours.

According to the Gun Violence Archive, which tracks shootings in the United States, there were at least 14 "mass shootings" in the country over the weekend, from early Saturday to late Monday.

The archive defines a mass shooting as an incident in which "four or more people are shot or killed, not including the shooter."

(more)

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/memorial-day-weekend-marked-dozen-mass-shootings-us-rcna31179

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrfill said:

Yes. The texas shooter legally purchased two AR-style rifles in the week before the attack, after turning 18.

OK, raise the age to 25 to buy, and instead of 19k firearm deaths a year, you'll lower that by <50 for year IMHO.

Mass shooting rarely carried out by legal gun owners IMHO ... so problems solved ???  I think not.

Banning firearms completely wouldn't have stopped the shooting in this news-blip IMHO

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

30 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

OK, raise the age to 25 to buy, and instead of 19k firearm deaths a year, you'll lower that by <50 for year IMHO.

Mass shooting rarely carried out by legal gun owners IMHO ... so problems solved ???  I think not.

Banning firearms completely wouldn't have stopped the shooting in this news-blip IMHO

So, what should be done?

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Whether or not mass shootings are rarely carried out by legal gun owners is not a matter of opinion, but a matter of fact.  Not that I'm saying you are wrong, just that it isn't an opinion.

1 minute ago, Slip said:

Whether or not mass shootings are rarely carried out by legal gun owners is not a matter of opinion, but a matter of fact.  Not that I'm saying you are wrong, just that it isn't an opinion.

Most mass shootings are carried out by gang bangers, and I'd be surprised if they are legal gun owners.  We're talking about 2 different things.  You - in school or business mass shootings (TX / NY recently).  Me - everything else, and most of those are gang banger, turf wars.  IMHO

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Most mass shootings are carried out by gang bangers, and I'd be surprised if they are legal gun owners.  We're talking about 2 different things.  You - in school or business mass shootings (TX / NY recently).  Me - everything else, and most of those are gang banger, turf wars.  IMHO

Prepare to be surprised then

Largest ever mass shooting in Las Vegas, 60 or so killed, with legal weapons purchased. 

Sutherland Springs church mass shooting 32 killed with legal weapons purchased

I could go one and demonstrate more but I think thats enough to show you 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Here's an idea. Round up all those politicians in America who refuse to change the gun laws, put them in a school classroom and bring in a gunman or two and see the reaction. After all, those politicians are content for that to happen to others. Over and over and over again.

They did. It's called the Capitol. It still hasn't sorted out the a-holes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

So your proposal is to ignore the problem and pretend nothing can be done? All for the sake of your supposed support for the 2nd amendment? 

• Confused 1

What Do Most Mass Shooters Have in Common? They Bought Their Guns Legally.

From 1966 to 2019, 77 percent of mass shooters obtained the weapons they used in their crimes through legal purchases, according to a comprehensive survey of law enforcement data, academic papers and news accounts compiled by the National Institute of Justice, the research wing of the Justice Department.

New York Times non paywall archive version

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Here's an idea. Round up all those politicians in America who refuse to change the gun laws, put them in a school classroom and bring in a gunman or two and see the reaction. After all, those politicians are content for that to happen to others. Over and over and over again.

Guns have one purpose, and it isn't to defend as some claim. It is to kill and injure. That's it. And guns have no place at all in any civilised society. No good, none at all, can come from them.

Anyone think the politicians that are for gun restrictions, don't work in, out of a building with armed security.  Don't travel or attend speaking engagements without armed security.

Do as I say, not as I do mentality.  Doesn't everyone deserve the same level of security.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

So your proposal is to ignore the problem and pretend nothing can be done? All for the sake of your supposed support for the 2nd amendment? 

Plenty can be done, see my post, it just isn't done.  Enforce the laws on the books now.  As someone post, somewhere, 1000's are denied gun purchases every year, usually felons, but are they put in jail for attempting to buy ?   Doubtful .... how many of these were prosecuted ?

image.png.0256c94fbf74e7196d7c9dfc3b79d1b5.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Pretty much every day there is a mass shooting in the U.S.

List of mass shootings in the United States in 2022 - Wikipedia

That's why the rest of the world should not worry to much about the power of the US, one part shoots the other part and 75% of the population is obese or has diabetic problems. They are killing themselves but blame us. Pls folks (US people) open your eyes and start to analyze the person you see in the mirror. God, Politics, Guns and cheap gasoline conversations are a no no to most of them.

It's a catch 22 scenario.  Until you can get rid of the illegal guns & owners of, why should legal folks not have the ability to protect themselves, at least with something almost equal to what the criminal carries in his/her waistband.

The numbers prove, police aren't up to the task of protecting people.  This news-blip points that out.  They can't even protect themselves from criminals, and people are suppose to put their faith in them.

Criminals in the USA apparently don't have much to fear from the police or the legal system.  Walk in to any store, fill you duffle or backpack and walk out.   IF you get arrested, you're released, no bail needed.

Repeat violent offenders, get bail and back on the streets.  Talk about a failed system.  But hey, stop the legal gal or guy from protecting themselves.

Someone please rationalize that for me.  Explain why I shouldn't have the right to protect myself, because other prefer to be criminals.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

OK, I'll repeat myself.  Raise the age to buy, high cost for permit to buy, AFTER training / certification.  Require proper gun safe in every home w/guns.    Start enforcing laws, no revolving prison doors any more.  Violent crime, any crime, 25 yrs to life.  Gun crime, any, life, no parole.

Illegal sale of gun used in crime, seller does same time as criminal that used it.  Illegal sale of gun not used in crime, 10 yrs in prison, no parole.

Prisons will have no AC, no heat, no exercise yard, no TV, no internet, no visitation, no medical staff.  And be subsistence farming or manufacturing.  You don't produce, you don't eat.  No pay, no credit, you come in with nothing, if you live to leave, you leave with nothing.

2nd felony conviction, 10 yrs prison, no parole.  Repeat felons don't deserve the right to live among the law abiding citizens.

Legal gun owners are rarely the problem, criminals are.

Oh yea .... close the damn southern border.  Put a simple, inexpensive cyclone fence along the whole border with signs, cross this border, and you'll be turned around.  PERIOD.  No entry, no court date, no asylum, no nothing.  Return a 2nd time, and you get life in prison, and work on chain gang FOREVER.

You will not have a better life if you enter the USA illegally.

Give that 1 or 2 years and watch things change drastically for the good.

Here’s an idea. Just put in place similar laws as there are in other countries where they don’t have the same problems. Give that the same amount of time one or two years and watch gun crime and murders go down. Seems that all the evidence is there already from real life situations rather than opinions.

20 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

Here’s an idea. Just put in place similar laws as there are in other countries where they don’t have the same problems. Give that the same amount of time one or two years and watch gun crime and murders go down. Seems that all the evidence is there already from real life situations rather than opinions.

Are there other countries that don't allow people to own a firearm ... please, point them out.  Certainly not the UK, EU or AU.  So is legal gun ownership really the problem ? 

Am I missing something ?

image.png.6605734be733b4f99a179bfc9f23ba63.png

image.png.c848c63ef90b52212617e9c337d3abfb.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Are there other countries that don't allow people to own a firearm ... please, point them out.  Certainly not the UK, EU or AU.  So is legal gun ownership really the problem ? 

Am I missing something ?

Yes you’re missing a lot. The stricter gun ownership laws and restrictions that other countries have and that work. Do you really need to go down the charts and laws route for me to provide the evidence, it’s already contained in a few links above from other posters.

Take a look at the UK, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Norway. Your results from Google give zero info to your cause

Here are 5 countries that have taken radical steps to eliminate firearm deaths

https://www.businessinsider.com/gun-deaths-nearly-eliminated-in-countries-what-us-can-learn-2017-11

Edited by coolcarer
  • Haha 1

Cue the wringing of hands, the heartfelt thoughts for the victims, the prayers to God, and, perhaps, a few words on looking at tightening gun control laws so this tragedy never happens again.  A respectful pause and then it's back to doing nothing.  Repeat with the next tragedy, likely a few days from now.