WISE - On Thaiphones-Problem??

Do anybody have any information if WISE (former Transferwise), if that is a problem

to set up and work that app in a thai phone here in Thailand??

thanks for your input..

glegolo

Edited by metisdead
ALL CAPS removed from topic title.

Over half a mil AUD transferred in the last 4 years with no issues whatsoever. 
I managed to send $80K to the wrong bank once and it bounced back a day later, I sent it to the right bank obvs. 
Great service in my experience 

• Like 1

Tried to register for an account as I have an IBAN account in Germany. It's asking me to provide a German phone number which I no longer have. This same requirement applies to PayPal which I was hoping to link to my German bank account and credit cards. Is there a way to bypass this requirement?

• Like 1

I'm in dispute with them regarding a transfer from Nationwide BS in UK. It's still be investigated by both parties. It was only £20 as  it was a trial transfer. Despite the love in here from bods, I don't trust them.

Two UK pensions now sent to Bangkok Bank.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Ironically, just opened this posting just after ordering my June monthly transfer via Wise. I have used them close to a decade after my U.S. investment company could not make direct deposits in Bangkok Bank’s NYC Branch. Now I have Wise deduct $2200 directly from my U.S. bank account and it will be deposited on Monday into my Bangkok Bank here in Thailand. Wise states the amount of transfer being limited if large to a handful of Thai banks. Not an issue for me.

• Like 1

Works perfectly for me on my Huawei android, accepts biometric login and is a "trusted device". I suggest you use a VPN when you set it up, not necessary once you are registered unless you are paranoid.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phutoie2 said:

I'm in dispute with them regarding a transfer from Nationwide BS in UK. It's still be investigated by both parties. It was only £20 as  it was a trial transfer. Despite the love in here from bods, I don't trust them.

Two UK pensions now sent to Bangkok Bank.

Why not get a Wise Borderless Account, and debit card, so you can transfer as and when you want to, in almost any currency. 

(That is Wise, formerly Transferwise)   555

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Why not get a Wise Borderless Account, and debit card, so you can transfer as and when you want to, in almost any currency. 

(That is Wise, formerly Transferwise)   555

Can you please explain the benefits of their debit card / Borderless Account . Can it be used in an ATM ?  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, superal said:

Can you please explain the benefits of their debit card / Borderless Account . Can it be used in an ATM ?  

Yes. I have used it in UK, Dubai, Italy & Thailand. And if there is not enough of a particular currency in your account, an automatic transfer takes place. Brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Am on True Move with an Oppo phone.

Only problem I have is that the in app link to NatWest hasn't worked for the last 2 mths.

Wise blame NatWest and NatWest blame Wise.

Annoying to have to come out of Wise app to access NatWest to make payment. Otherwise works fine.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Am on True Move with an Oppo phone.

Only problem I have is that the in app link to NatWest hasn't worked for the last 2 mths.

Wise blame NatWest and NatWest blame Wise.

Annoying to have to come out of Wise app to access NatWest to make payment. Otherwise works fine.

So why not go into your banking app first, transfer money to Wise, then do the transfer to wherever you want.

Or use WiFi instead of Mobile Data.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Yes. I have used it in UK, Dubai, Italy & Thailand. And if there is not enough of a particular currency in your account, an automatic transfer takes place. Brilliant.

I understand now . So really the benefit is that whilst travelling to various countries where you do not have a bank account and would normally have to use your country of residence debit card and incur charges , you use the Wise card ? What are their transaction charges ,    same as their normal charges ? Do they pay interest on funds in their Borderless account ?

4 minutes ago, superal said:

I understand now . So really the benefit is that whilst travelling to various countries where you do not have a bank account and would normally have to use your country of residence debit card and incur charges , you use the Wise card ? What are their transaction charges ,    same as their normal charges ? Do they pay interest on funds in their Borderless account ?

No interest. It is still classed as a 'foreign' debit card over here, so probably get the Bht 220 added on.

I do not use it over here as I do a monthly transfer to my Bkk Bank for IO reasons.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mvdf said:

Tried to register for an account as I have an IBAN account in Germany. It's asking me to provide a German phone number which I no longer have. This same requirement applies to PayPal which I was hoping to link to my German bank account and credit cards. Is there a way to bypass this requirement?

Register for account from your current address and phone.  You can have accounts in other countries.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Register for account from your current address and phone.  You can have accounts in other countries.

Yes, that worked! Just did the 20 Euro transfer.

Thank you!

On 6/4/2022 at 7:08 AM, mvdf said:

I don't know if this works universally, but what I do is I have a skype telephone number which is for my home city in the USA, and I have that telephone number set up to forward all calls to my Thai phone. So, anybody calling or texting my local (skype) phone number reaches me here in Thailand and they have no idea where I actually am. Works great, hope it can work for you outside of the US. Skype number is quite cheap, around $56 a year.