Air Force To Arm F-35 Fighters With Its Own Weapon Systems

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

THE THAI AIR FORCE will manage to install its own weapon systems aboard US-made F-35 Lightning II stealth fighters which will be procured in the future

Somethin like this perhaps. ???? 

crossbow.jpg

Edited by hughrection

2 hours ago, mania said:

Oh come on!

These are the same guys that tried a few years ago to stop Bangkok flooding by backing up some motor boats & revving the engines trying to hold back the waters

Yet these same nimrods will now design weaponry for something as sophisticated as an F35?

Truth is more likely they will try to buy weapons off Aliexpress (aka China) USA better throw this deal into reverse pronto

Not only that they bought a load of IED Detector Devices, which proved in the end to be a big scam!  I think this statement needs to be thoroughly investigated for transparency.  Personally I don't believe it.

"THE THAI AIR FORCE will manage to install its own weapon systems aboard US-made F-35 Lightning II stealth fighters which will be procured in the future, according to air force chief-of-staff ACM Panpakdee Pattanakul."

The Thai Air Force will install their own weapon system???  What could possibly go wrong?

Thailand's perceived enemies (who are they, anyway?) must be shaking in their boots. Attaching high powered bottle rockets to the wing of a fighter jet make for some amusing pyrotechnics. 

Edited by spidermike007

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand's perceived enemies (who are they, anyway?) must be shaking in their boots. Attaching high powered bottle rockets to the wing of a fighter jet make for some amusing pyrotechnics. 

Precisely why they don't need the weapons while still getting pilots trained on latest generation fighter aircraft.

Should have gone for the Sukhois.  More bang for the buck.
F35?  Most expensive fighter on the planet?  What does Thailand need with the stealth tech of that plane.

3 hours ago, Andycoops said:

The Thais have been told to buy F35s by their Peking masters so they can arrive and dismantled them and see how it all works.

The US would be bonkers to allow such a sale.

Thailand does not make fighter cannon or missiles so cannot arm them.

It does have some indigenous electronic systems capabilities but that's all, they are used on the Saab 340s and Gripen fighters.

There is probably more truth to that then meets the eye.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, connda said:

F35?  Most expensive fighter on the planet?  What does Thailand need with the stealth tech of that plane.

Important to be able to hide from the Burmese foot soldiers hiding out in the jungle? 

Nobody knows the answer to that question, as there likely is none. 

6 minutes ago, connda said:

There is no point in operating a fighter jet at all without stealth tech so if they are going to operate any fighters at all they need the tech.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The air force chief-of-staff has confirmed that the air force currently has airborne weapon systems at its disposal and will equip the Lockheed Martin F-35 multirole fighters with them in the years to come.

What's the mystery? Thailand has AIM-120 AMRAAMS air to air missiles already for its F-16 and Gripen inventory. And these are what the US F-35s carry (albeit more sophisticated variant). Four of these can be carried internally. As for air-to-ground -- the RTAF has laser guided bombs, which certainly can be mounted on a F-35.

• Like 1

Never gonna happen...top line American military hardware restricted to treaty allies who aren't in China's pocket; and in any case, US companies can't give kickbacks so government ministers will quickly loose interest and the country can't afford F-35 fighters in any case.

The aircraft is  just one more fast jet ( and not that fast)  without its electronic data interface with the ground. In fact, its probably not as versatile as the 30 year old F16 they have now when it is  without its western avionics package fitted.  They would be better of with much cheaper, maybe 10 year old, F15Es or Hornets/ Super Hornets . 

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

For those in the F35 cockpit i wish and pray for them NOT to be in a situation whereby they will have to use those 'home made' weapons, Really Thai air force? you fork out the huge sums to buy the planes but you go for home made ammo? its' like buying a top class Ferrari and fitting it with your own home made tyres...

No reference anywhere to the weapons system being "home made"...except from you, of course.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Orinoco said:

This will be about right for them.

Thailand's top weapon's system.

Just got to remember to roll down the window before firing.

Captureeeeeeee - Copy.JPG

"Slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" as teh nong says,Wat could pussably go thong?

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

I used to design guided weapon microwave guidance systems.  Thailand has almost zero capability in this sector.  I'll withhold further comments because it will lead to a suspension by the mods!!

"I'll withhold further comments because it will lead to a suspension"

If I were you I'd withhold any comments until you've managed to read the OP and the link properly.  No where has it been reported that Thailand is designing it's own systems, the report said that the systems would be procured...look it up

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

The F35A variant comes with guns.

The F35B & F35C can carry external 25mm guns underneath.

US Navy I believe uses the B/C without guns. It's a matter of lighter weight, stealth and in the case of the B VTOL.

The F35 was designed as a stealth ground attack aircraft Navy. 

Thailand would do better to buy Gripens.

It already has Gripens

• Haha 1