My CNX Hotel Experience-June 2022

sqwakvfr

20 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Been seeing a lot of these lately, though none set up.  Not really a night person, so explains not seeing in use.

image.png.e4c79403121ddc9b6092b01a47b94458.png

Yes camping is so in with the bangkok elite at the moment.  Shame it did not become fashionable 20 years ago before they cut down and concreted over all the the beachside trees and primary dune areas.

Edited by Adumbration

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Yes camping is so in with the bangkok elite at the moment.  Shame it did not become fashionable 20 years ago before they cut down and concreted over all the the beachside trees and primary dune areas.

There's plenty of coastline to camp at, well, except maybe Phuket.

23 hours ago, dingdongrb said:
On 6/7/2022 at 5:58 PM, robblok said:

Normally i go to cheaper hotels, but as gf is paying half of it its not that bad. 

You must be a real  keeper.

You pay for everything right...  ‘cos thats how you impress the ladies !!!

.... seems you are jealous that someone has sufficient game to date a lady of equal socio-economic means....   You?... I guess you’ll just have to prove your worth by paying for everything !!! ????

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Who gives the hotels their star rating?

I believe they do ... 

... as I posted earlier, found 2, only 2 I actually looked at, and both rated 5*

... 1 had no restaurant

... 1 served breakfast only

Who or what 'agency' would give those 5* ?

5 hours ago, Adumbration said:

No that is not correct.  The Thais like to fence off access to the beach.  Does not happen in other countries to the extent it does here. 

I think you need to get more.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You pay for everything right...  ‘cos thats how you impress the ladies !!!

.... seems you are jealous that someone has sufficient game to date a lady of equal socio-economic means....   You?... I guess you’ll just have to prove your worth by paying for everything !!! ????

I like woman in the same socio economic circle. But hard to find, and this one is above me ???? Or at least as long as her expat contract goes. 100k house + electric (monthly base included in her contract).

But at the same time it also means that dining and stuff is more upscale especially with her friend. She herself can eat street food.  The worst was a 5000bt per pax Omakase  diner (just the food). Her friends paid for me. I told them I would not want to attend. I don't like seafood that much and to pay 5000bt for it even good quality is crazy. Sure these prices are not as high as back in Europe for fine dining. But its just not worth it for me.

Also when i first met her we went to an expensive restaurant and after that her driver picked herr up (i was in shock for her having a driver but was included in her expat contract). Good thing she is relatively easy and comes from modest roots. 

She thankfully does not have too expensive tastes but still its different when with a Thai gf. If you both have the same socio economic status the dynamics in a relation are different. My previous GF's and one wife were also financially independent though because i made a lot more i paid more. (bigger part of joint spendings)  (otherwise its unfair IMHO). 

Anyway i like it when a woman has her own money then at least you partly eliminate the she is with you for the money. However you can get a much prettier woman if your paying for it. I mean i can't have a 20 something gf and expect her to pay. Im not that handsome and my game is not that good. 

So it all boils down to personal preference. I value good English skills a lot and intelligence. Sure looks are important too but having a gf you can actually hold a conversation with and who can help out with stuff is important. Lot of guys just want a pretty lil thing in the bedroom. Their choice not mine. Same goes for kids / no kids.

Same again like in this thread about hotels, i don't need an expensive hotel as long as location is good and its clean and the beds are nice im ok. People have different expectations and needs. That makes this world a fun place.

But for me complaining about no toothbrush is strange. But maybe this guy always travels to high class hotels and that is why he does not have a small toiletry bag with the basics.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

I didn't pick up much of a hotel review from the o/p but more what a sad life that person must have.

Yes.  Your are right.  I do live a sad life.  I have just booked another hotel and  it was only 5000 Baht for one night.  I will continue with my sad life.  

On 6/7/2022 at 10:42 AM, BritManToo said:

Next time book a 500bht hotel.

Then you will have 3,500bht left, enough to pay for breakfast, beer, a toothbrush ........ and a young woman to serve you in your room all night.

Saves evenmore.
Imagine drinking 2 small beer at 250Baht each plus 10%, that's another 550Baht saved.
Lady could get you for that 550 extra, the full program.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

But at the same time it also means that dining and stuff is more upscale especially with her friend. She herself can eat street food.  The worst was a 5000bt per pax Omakase  diner (just the food). Her friends paid for me. I told them I would not want to attend. I don't like seafood that much and to pay 5000bt for it even good quality is crazy. Sure these prices are not as high as back in Europe for fine dining. But its just not worth it for me.

I've never seen the point in expensive dining.

Leo plus pie and chips does me.

Same for expensive hotels,

I just need a room to pass out in.

Pool, Jacuzzi, breakfast ..... widely available for very little cost outside the hotels.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Pool, Jacuzzi, breakfast ..... widely available for very little cost outside the hotels.

Expensive dining is not for me. (ok I don't go for the really cheap stuff but the really expensive dining is not for me). Its not value for money IMHO. But people have different likes and dislikes. I spend a lot on my computer or gym others dont. Not up to me to judge.

As for hotels as long as location is good, clean and bed is good im ok. But not judging people who see it different.

57 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It depends on the restaurant... I won’t pay $800 for a gold covered steak in Salt-Bae’s restaurants, I think thats just stupid....  

But, last meal I paid for was 12,000 baht (4 adults, 2 children) - steaks were excellent, plenty of wine, sides, starters, desserts...  we were there for about 4 hours and had a great evening (kids too). 

It was expensive, but I didn’t mind, it was an excellent evening and can’t be compared to eating noodles or at sizzler etc. I don’t see any value in eating at Sizzler etc. Yet I do see value in eating a Wine connection... Bottle of wine, a reasonable rib-eye etc... Wife and Son have plenty of choice... 

Ultimately, I want to see value in things... and thats the same for a hotel.

I’ve been comfortable in 1000 baht bungalows, I’ve been comfortable in far more expensive hotel rooms, location is also a factor in price, as is how long we’ll spend in the room etc....

For example, if we are going to a beach resort - paying more for a beachfront bungalow may be worth it, it may not - the decision making is always based on plenty of factors. 

If I’m on my own, cheap and clean is fine...  with my family I pay a lot more attention to what we are getting, size of room, location, bathtub & shower, type of room, space for son to sleep (i.e. an extra bed or on a sofa) etc... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It depends on the restaurant... I won’t pay $800 for a gold covered steak in Salt-Bae’s restaurants, I think thats just stupid....  

But, last meal I paid for was 12,000 baht (4 adults, 2 children) - steaks were excellent, plenty of wine, sides, starters, desserts...  we were there for about 4 hours and had a great evening (kids too). 

It was expensive, but I didn’t mind, it was an excellent evening and can’t be compared to eating noodles or at sizzler etc. I don’t see any value in eating at Sizzler etc. Yet I do see value in eating a Wine connection... Bottle of wine, a reasonable rib-eye etc... Wife and Son have plenty of choice... 

Ultimately, I want to see value in things... and thats the same for a hotel.

I’ve been comfortable in 1000 baht bungalows, I’ve been comfortable in far more expensive hotel rooms, location is also a factor in price, as is how long we’ll spend in the room etc....

For example, if we are going to a beach resort - paying more for a beachfront bungalow may be worth it, it may not - the decision making is always based on plenty of factors. 

If I’m on my own, cheap and clean is fine...  with my family I pay a lot more attention to what we are getting, size of room, location, bathtub & shower, type of room, space for son to sleep (i.e. an extra bed or on a sofa) etc... 

around 2000 at a steak house is not that strange, it would be value for money for me. However I don't often go there as its not something i need that much. Everyone has their own standards. When I eat with my parents on a holiday the prices are also higher then what i would do when eating alone. But when you eat steak expect to pay a lot if you want some quality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

around 2000 at a steak house is not that strange, it would be value for money for me. However I don't often go there as its not something i need that much. Everyone has their own standards. When I eat with my parents on a holiday the prices are also higher then what i would do when eating alone. But when you eat steak expect to pay a lot if you want some quality.

Yes that's fair, "you get what you pay for", as they say.

Think OP believed he'd paid for a "steak" and ended up with a "beef-burger".......sh%t happens - as they also say !

1 hour ago, robblok said:

In 2001 I paid over $300 dollars for two at the steak house at the Bellagio Hotel in Los Vegas.  This was before the U2 Concert at UNLV(of course this cost an arm, leg and a vital organ). So paying 2000 Baht($57) could be considered a relative bargain as long as the steak is a quality cut of meat.  I have only had steak onca in LOS and was not impressed.  The best steak I ever had was at a Ruth Chriss in Beverly Hills.  .  

20 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

In 2001 I paid over $300 dollars for two at the steak house at the Bellagio Hotel in Los Vegas.  This was before the U2 Concert at UNLV(of course thisi cost an arm, leg and a vital organ). So paying 2000 Baht($57) could be considered a relative bargain as long as the steak is a quality cut of meat.  I have only had steak onca in LOS and was not impressed.  The best steak I ever had was at a Ruth Chriss in Beverly Hills.  .  

You like to name drop and brag a lot. But you really blow it in the end when you say Ruth Chris, yes with one S, which is simply a medium level chain steak house which has now closed all the branches. Long gone.

Edited by marin