My Lazada waterproof watch lasted 30 seconds in the water...lol

redwood1

Just now, BritManToo said:

Surprised anyone still buys a watch.

Your phone and Google can tell you the time.

Have you tried swimming with your mobile phone ( this thread is about a watch in water )  just so you know what the time is  or even floating on your back in the water whilst holding the phone in one hand using the other to Google as you suggest ?  I suspect wearing a watch is so much easier.

4 minutes ago, Excel said:

Have you tried swimming with your mobile phone ( this thread is about a watch in water )  just so you know what the time is  or even floating on your back in the water whilst holding the phone in one hand using the other to Google as you suggest ?  I suspect wearing a watch is so much easier.

Look at your phone before you start swimming.

Look at your phone when you stop swimming.

I'm retired, time doesn't really matter to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Surprised anyone still buys a watch.

Your phone and Google can tell you the time.

The time is rarely of importance to me, but I like to have something to remind me what day it is, and, as you say, that phone does that fine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Look at your phone before you start swimming.

Look at your phone when you stop swimming.

I'm retired, time doesn't really matter to me.

But not everybody is retired and some like endurance swimming , not a 5 minute splash then out.

One of the good things about Thailand is the lack of nanny style regulations for nearly everything.

However one glaring exception for me is the way shysters can claim that their latest snake oil concoction can cure any malady afflicting the human race. 

Recently had to sit through a sales pitch for some sort of rice husk oil that the sellers insisted cured covid, AIDS, cancer, liver and kidney disease, and if I had asked, even the bubonic plague. They are probably killing a few stupid people who use this rubbish instead of genuine medications. 

In the end I said no way and walked away telling my wife "she's your sister, up to you".  Wifey bought a few overpriced bottles of the stuff, later threw them in the bin and hasn't talked to her sister since. 

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

Me too, but the ‘gold’ fell off the hands and then jammed them up lol

I had the submariner. Cost me 600 baht I think about 11 years ago to have another autowinder fitted and the hour marks came un-stuck which cost me another 100. so I guess in 30 years it has cost me around 1400  baht including the original purchase so not too bad at all. 

I think people have the wrong idea. These meter things mean something different same goes for quality watches

• 30m - Water resistant up to 30 meters, when in reality 30m means that your watch can withstand water droplets and quick handwashing
  • 50m - Water resistant up to 50 meters means it can withstand swimming and cold showers. Hot showers are different as hot water would allow the watch to expand and potentially allow water to get in.
  • 100m - Water resistant up to 100 meters means it is possible to swim or snorkel with the watch on, but it is not appropriate for diving.
  • 200m - Water resistant up to 200 meters, usually means you can dive with your watch on. Still, over time the water-resistance will become less effective as the seals are exposed to different elements.