Regulation signed to make cannabis flowers a controlled herb in Thailand

webfact

3 hours ago, connda said:

Let's see.

It's legal to grow the plant but it's illegal to have a plant with flowers.  So, if you are growing plants for 'personal use' then what should you do if your plants decides to flower? 

So, once signed into the  Royal Gazette, I'm assuming those 3000 prisoners released on possession charges will be tossed back into jail.  Then they better start building more jails because the commoners can now grow the plant, but should the plant flower they can then be thrown into prison.
Of course it's not too late to simple add another sentence to the bill that makes it illegal for the common public to grow that plant in the first place.  Flip-Flop.  Right back to square one.

thats not what it says at all.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

The confusion is that no law was made.. 

120 days before 9th June they took cannabis off the narcotics list entirely.. Extracts made from cannabis (any processing, food, oils, wax, etc) was ether OK under 0.2% and controlled by FDA as a CBD product or over 0.2% as a narcotic and still only possible with a prescription.

They fully expected to create and pass laws in the time between publication and it being law. Conservative voices fully expected all THC parts to be controlled. Somehow Thailand failed to make any law (accidentally on purpose ??) so it effectively decriminalized the plant entirely, not what most officials voted for. 

A law may come, but right now there isnt one 

list.pdf.jpg

286688817_583033026772807_4970533043067256206_n.jpg

T_0001.pdf 302.55 kB · 1 download

So basically, if you use cannabis you don't know whether you're breaking the law or not?  That's a bit too wooly for me - it leaves you wide open to the whims of a police force who's activities have at times been 'questionable'.

People can take that risk if they so wish and will in all probability, be OK - I'll stick to Chang ????.

10 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Apart from the interest generated by what seems to be most of the population...

I have ZERO personal interest!

Hey, thanks for the update. 

No they did not make it a “regulated herb” they can’t I have sources where I live who grow it at home because it’s legal to. They only placed rules on regulated shops so they can only sell to people over 20 and not allowed to sell to pregnant or breast feeding women and supposedly you can’t buy more than a month’s supply per month supposedly but I wouldn’t want to buy that much at once anyway nor have I tried that’s a lot. They’re just treating it like alcohol in the states. 

9 hours ago, connda said:

It's legal to grow the plant but it's illegal to have a plant with flowers.  So, if you are growing plants for 'personal use' then what should you do if your plants decides to flower?

Snip the buds before the flowers develop?

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Arkady said:

The Cannabis and Hemp Bill seems to fill in a lot of the details of licensing, registration for home growers & etc.  Also the ban on sale to under 20s, pregnant and lactating women (how to know if they are in the early stages of pregnancy or lactating?).

I read in one report that import of a small quantity for personal use carried on the person will be allowed.  It will be interesting to see if that makes it through parliament into the final version.

It is quite common in Thai legislation for a law to be promulgated or amended with enabling legislation to follow.  That happens with every constitution with organic laws filling in the details later.  It has also happened with amendments to the Land Code, Working of Aliens Act and many other laws.  Sometimes this laws cannot be put into effect at all without the enabling legislation, e.g. the constitution.  In other cases they can.  The Working of Aliens Act stipulated that the list of reserved professions would be amended by a ministerial decree within 12 months but that amendment was never issued and the law was revoked and replaced by a Royal Decree without any revision to the list of reserved professions. 

In this case one could argue it was inappropriate to amend the Narcotics Act by deleting cannabis except extracts over 0.2% from Category 5 without the enabling legislation. However, I think we can assume this was a case of political expediency.  Anutin had the power the amend the Narcotics Act with approval from the Narcotics Committee simply by issuing a one page ministerial order. The Cannabis and Hemp Bill had to be drafted at length, reviewed by the Juridicial Council and go through three House readings (it is has just passed the first reading).  With the government coming to the end of its term and with the risk of early elections, there was and still is no guarantee the Cannabis and Hemp Bill would be passed before the next elections.  Waiting for this Anutin would have risked going to the polls with his key election pledge unfulfilled. 

Cannabis legalization must have been the main attraction of the MoPH to Anutin.   Who would have guessed back in 2019 he was going to have to deal with a pandemic? With the pandemic and vaccines starting to recede in the rear view mirror, at least for now, Anutin is coming through as a man who, for better or wore, delivers his promises which could put him in a good position to become a future PM.

It’s totally allowed they’ve been selling it for a few years but now suddenly as of this month they’re openly selling flower actually in the shops and they have multiple strains like you’d find in California. He’s only talking about regulations to appease parliament and they are not really putting any rules on it that slows distribution. 

I read it and still don't know what it means?   So anyone over 20 can buy the flowers?  Or anyone over 20 can be prescribed medical stuff?

The headline is a bit alarmist for those like myself who support full legalization. Yes, it will be somewhat more regulated than allowing kids to buy it and use it at school or pregnant women, but as someone has pointed out on this thread they don't mention any of that regarding alcohol which is no doubt even worse for developing fetuses.

The second thing Anutin is talking about, is  another new head scratcher, like he just woke up a few days ago and stumbled onto an old dog-eared and dusty handbook about growing cannabis at home and how if you grew your plants well you could achieve flower buds with 12% THC. Well, yes Anutin, the buds have that and a lot more these days, they are supposedly up to 30% and more if you like, if the cannabis seed retailers are to be believed and they probably can be. So, yes, what was all that about 0.2%, where did that come from? Anyway, anything that is at a mere 12% I would imagine does not get that much interest from most smokers these days, it should be more like 18-26% THC. I myself would probably rather stick to old school 12% though.

Anyway, near as I can place it, he's just throwing miscellany into the pot (no pun intended) to make it sound like he has strict limits but he hasn't yet said anything about how they are going to limit bud THC, but you wonder if thats a hint. Really though they are making a hash (no pun intended) out of this, likely due to the fact they are stepping on all kinds of powerful people's toes, probably even pissing off other ASEAN countries like Singapore whose citizens will probably be flocking enmasse for stoned out holidaze in Thaistick land, so they have to make noises like "And oh my god! The cannabis flowers have 12% THC! We'll all lose our minds if we don't charge heavy taxes on 12%+ buds, we need to limit how much people smoke by putting it out of reach cost-wise! We really do care about our people's health! We do! And keep burning your plastics by the way we want Thailand to be plastic free by 2025! "

On 6/16/2022 at 4:10 PM, ezzra said:

And how they are going to police all that? Thailand needed this marijuana business like a hole in the head as if the don't have million others problems to deal with they added this bizarre free marijuana on top of all their problems...

Welll they police very little atm so adding to their workload will increase it by the sum of zero. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Gilligan In Drag said:

The headline is a bit alarmist for those like myself who support full legalization. Yes, it will be somewhat more regulated than allowing kids to buy it and use it at school or pregnant women, but as someone has pointed out on this thread they don't mention any of that regarding alcohol which is no doubt even worse for developing fetuses.

The second thing Anutin is talking about, is  another new head scratcher, like he just woke up a few days ago and stumbled onto an old dog-eared and dusty handbook about growing cannabis at home and how if you grew your plants well you could achieve flower buds with 12% THC. Well, yes Anutin, the buds have that and a lot more these days, they are supposedly up to 30% and more if you like, if the cannabis seed retailers are to be believed and they probably can be. So, yes, what was all that about 0.2%, where did that come from? Anyway, anything that is at a mere 12% I would imagine does not get that much interest from most smokers these days, it should be more like 18-26% THC. I myself would probably rather stick to old school 12% though.

Anyway, near as I can place it, he's just throwing miscellany into the pot (no pun intended) to make it sound like he has strict limits but he hasn't yet said anything about how they are going to limit bud THC, but you wonder if thats a hint. Really though they are making a hash (no pun intended) out of this, likely due to the fact they are stepping on all kinds of powerful people's toes, probably even pissing off other ASEAN countries like Singapore whose citizens will probably be flocking enmasse for stoned out holidaze in Thaistick land, so they have to make noises like "And oh my god! The cannabis flowers have 12% THC! We'll all lose our minds if we don't charge heavy taxes on 12%+ buds, we need to limit how much people smoke by putting it out of reach cost-wise! We really do care about our people's health! We do! And keep burning your plastics by the way we want Thailand to be plastic free by 2025! "

Well said. Only in Thailand would the plant be legal but the bud need its own legislation. Last time I was at school, which was many moons ago now, I seem to remember learning that the flower was in fact part of the plant.

Edited by starky
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Smithson said:

Has anyone tried the expensive buds? I've heard they're not thay great. Possibly due to growing techniques.

Well if you can believe the hype they are supposed to come from some decent overseas strains. I also know that Taratera the company behind The Dispensary in Bangkok is a fully professional hydro set up run by foreigners so you would think the growing techniques would be world class

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If I were selling for 2,000-3,000bht/3.5gm I'd give free home delivery.

Thats why im thinking of setting up my own shop get a massive hydro set up and retire happy and mellow lol.

1 hour ago, starky said:

Well if you can believe the hype they are supposed to come from some decent overseas strains. I also know that Taratera the company behind The Dispensary in Bangkok is a fully professional hydro set up run by foreigners so you would think the growing techniques would be world class

Two friends have reported it's not that strong and with little fragrance. I think this could be caused low light levels. Would be interesting to hear from others.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Smithson said:

Two friends have reported it's not that strong and with little fragrance. I think this could be caused low light levels. Would be interesting to hear from others.

My experience, modern hybrids don't seem to have that strong a smell. I went to all the expense of a carbon filter, then found I didn't need it. I've only ever encountered one stinker, and that was an old variety, White Widow. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 10:54 AM, Arkady said:

I have only started looking into the legal aspects of cannabis in Thailand in the last few days out of curiosity.

I have a question for those who know more about it.  Is hashish considered an extract over 0.2%?  I believe it is made of pressed cannabis resin.  Therefore it is not strictly speaking an extract like cannabis oil.  However, it hasn't appeared on any of the dispensary price lists I have seen which leads me to think it might be considered an extract.  The resin in Thailand may just be left with the buds to increase their potency. 

Hashish is definitely an extract. It begins as a cannabis plant and is separated from the bulk of the plant's structure by various means, I.e. "extracted".

Used to think it lovely stuff. Nothing smoked anymore, with the possible exception of salmon.????