Is police corruption in Thailand the same as elsewhere?

webfact

Corrupt cops in USA don't take bribes so much.

Rather extort with large fines for petty traffic offenses.

And if you don't grovel to their

a- thor-i tie,

the will cuff, beat, and file false charges.

They will shoot to kill at the slightest provocation.

And if some school kids need saving from a mad shooter,

they will cower.

FTP.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

I am currently watching "Narcos" and keep thinking that Thailand is much closer to the Mexico and isn't even close to most of the European countries. 

Here you have a reasonable assessment.

Comparing LOS to Mexico is from my actual personal direct experience's of both places completely unrealistic. 

Compared to my home state, in my home nation an absolute no. Nothing like it. and to the poster who made comments about 'verbaling' by police in Australia as an indication of corruption and subverting of the law and processes of justice this is extremely rare.

I think it is less worse as there are many things, where you could be setup for or bribed for anymore that easily, now Thailand is more developer than for example a country like Cambodia. Sure plenty of things are still corrupt regardless but it is pretty easy to stay away from the majority of risk factors, specially if you would ignore the casual traffic police fine without a receipt.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Does it really matter.?...it is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Yet, the usual sociological comparatives/superlatives require the predictable and deluded examinations/debates......including the always fashionable and twisted whataboutisms into the mix. 

Most have become terribly confused as to how they perceive their highly civilised base to those of the perpetual savage foundations. If we peeked in closer, it might reveal our deeper misgivings as to how things truly are. 

Things are never what they seem to be - so we make up s**t to comfort our questionable character. 

• Haha 1

In my home country (Germany) 99% of the police officers are incorruptible.

Why?

1. They get a reasonably good salary.

2. We have good investigative press outlets that love to publicize corruption cases.

3. Convicted corrupt officials are 100% removed from government service for lifetime. In addition to imprisonment, the right to a pension can also be withdrawn.

4. Anyone with a criminal record can never become a civil servant.

5. There is an independent investigative group that controls the police force and reports directly to the Minister of the Interior.

6. All in all, we have more of the principle: Equal rights for everyone. If you're a super VIP and if you get caught drunk driving; you driving license will be removed and you must "walk" for months as everybody else until you get your license back.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Same Same Everywhere.

Unfortunately, most don't have the ability to recognize as such.

Where else do they charge a few years wages to 'pass' the entrance exam. That's what happened when my sister in law applied a few years ago. They were told the pass mark was 400k, in Bkk.

20 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Because also of the theft insurance I presume she did not have.

(Usually obligatory to have insurance when the car is bought with a loan.)

The victim (a nurse) bought the car; realised it was a useless purchase in Bangkok & handed it over to her Pattaya based brother to rent out.  He rented it to a woman who stole 3 cars from rental companies & sold them on.  The vic's insurance didn't cover rentals.

• Thanks 1

The NACC is charged with combating corruption in Thailand by high-ranking government officials and politicians. 

And they are one of the least sincere and least effective at fighting corruption in Thailand. Same applies to Cha Cha and his band of goons. 

Corruption can be found in the US too. Only it is legal there. 95% of lobbyists, many lawyers and most Washington politicians are highly corrupt. 

So is the judicial system there, when $2 or 3 million will buy you an innocent verdict, due to the legal teams ability to create a doubt in the minds of the jury. Sounds corrupt to me. I smell a fish! 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

Whether the naturally bent are attracted to the 'profession' to the professional bends them is up for debate.

The fact is, cops are paid a pittance. Small corruption is what changes the balance.

Big corruption, i.e., the military, don't often get caught or, at best, offer up a goat for sacrifice who is then quietly released in due course.

The court found him guilty on all sixty-five counts and imposed a five-year prison term for each of the counts, bringing the accumulated jail time to 325 years.

And after bribing the judge he is off at 325 days served.