Is police corruption in Thailand the same as elsewhere?

webfact

Back in the days of VHS, I used to copy videos and 'let them out' so to speak. 

My girlfriend at the time had a policemen as her father. The amount of movies he 'borrowed' showed he really could not give a hoot. That said, if I had been distributing and selling cocaine it may have been different ! (or more expensive)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Saying it is just better disguised or hidden in the West is facile and doesn't hold up to scrutiny. 

I was once involved in a complaint about police corruption in the UK.

Apparently none of them were corrupt, they just needed 13 police and civilian employees to take further training. And they didn't want to go to court about it, so payed for my complaint to go away (7,000 pounds).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

took sixty-five bribes from the parlour, in exchange for not taking legal action against it for alleged violations of the law.

The court found him guilty on all sixty-five counts and imposed a five-year prison term for each of the counts, bringing the accumulated jail time to 325 years.

Seems a little unfair to me, considering you can hit and run on a policeman and completely get away with it.

Moved to an inactive post would be fairer IMHO.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

A fine with a ticket of 500 THB or without a ticket for 300 THB..... Is that corruption???

Bit of money laundering and tax evasion for the 500 baht part could be tacked on there though.

Edited by userabcd

Sometimes it works for you and sometimes it doesnt. Overall i like the idea that i can pay things of with relative small money. In my home country youve got corruption on a different level which is much more expensive and doesnt change anything in a positive way for you. 

53 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Or even pay graft to get the job.... being corrupt is on the application form!

It is said it costs 1 million for a Pattaya post recoverable within a year.  I was in a room in Dongtan station where a car thief had been 'arrested' by family members.  The fat officer wanted 10K to proceed with prosecuting.  The victim did not have the money & continued paying the bank for FOUR years for a car she did not have!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not only not the same their responsibility and training not the same. 

Like China the whole system is like one big Mafia. 

Whatever cases you read like this story is nothing but smoke to show as if they are doing something but these are small time guys not worth <deleted> that are made examples.

Years back in China remember the lead being used in toys many ended up in U. S.  Just like the poison dog food, medicine,  sheet rock when it got out examples had to be made they take a sorry ass Chinamen ( I can exempt myself from such language since I'm one) one but not sorry A--????

Take him do a photo op,  dig a big hole executed him bury him and millions of the lead toys to set a example then the same officials take the other millions of lead toys and ship them all over Asia including Thailand selling them.

If you think it is the same it isn't people are fooling themselves the reality we use the phrase This is Thailand! 

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Sure, corruption happens in the West too, but there are mechanisms in place that actually function to deal with it and punishments are severe if caught. 

Those mechanisms exists everywhere: Call the Commissioner of Police and there will be apologies and punishment.

Of course, when you are without your phone and constraint to your un-inflamable mattress in a police cell in Germany -- and suddenly burn to ashes, then this is no-ones fault and definitely no case of corruption.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Oury_Jalloh

Oh come on,

This is not even a question

Although Britmantoo came closest with his in Thailand corruption is available to all & it is

But truth is try bribe a cop on the spot in the USA...You would be tazed & laying on the ground belly down in cuffs ????

Trust me I'm not saying it is not nice being able to bribe a cop in Thailand for $6-$150 but you might think otherwise if your the dead guy at the scene

that some perp is bribing his way out of

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

The victim did not have the money & continued paying the bank for FOUR years for a car she did not have!

Because also of the theft insurance I presume she did not have.

(Usually obligatory to have insurance when the car is bought with a loan.)