What are you doing to ensure the integrity of the food supply for you and your family?

I think Thailand produces more food than the people here consume, so prices might rise, but there won't be food shortages.

Most people have enough fat reserves to survive a few months on reduced food intake anyway, some people years.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

It is funny that you guys are posting off hand jokes and nonsense.  You need to flag this post.  In the near future you will realise that this is a real and very important issue.  It may well be the most significant catalyst for China moving on Taiwan also.

Stop trying to build your part up.

• Like 2

Anybody who follows the news should be aware that food insecurity is a growing concern worldwide. Most foreigners probably imagine that if things ever got bad they could just hop on a plane and head home until a crisis passes, but that may not necessarily be possible if the SHTF. I maintain about a three month supply of food and drinking water as a precautionary measure.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Really? I think you might want to check on that. Sure, there's seasonal produce, but over all there's plenty of fruits and vegetables coming from China. There's also this misconception that meat sold at farmers markets is coming from small artisan family farms when in reality most of it comes from industrial producers like Saha Farms, Betagro, etc. The local vendors buy pork by the side, and then butcher it themselves. I don't think things are quite as "local" as you imagine.

Maybe where you live. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

It is funny that you guys are posting off hand jokes and nonsense.  You need to flag this post.  In the near future you will realise that this is a real and very important issue.  It may well be the most significant catalyst for China moving on Taiwan also.

I'm very surprised as well Adumbration. OK, in a food crisis, Mr. Farang Deep Pockets might be able to outbid the starving peasants for a while, but what if there was no food at all? Farang-y boy is going to be at the back of the queue, big time. As far as Thailand being a big food producer, true enough, but most of that is rice, corn, cassava and production which could easily be severely crimped in a major drought.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Ridiculous.

This is a very good food producing country there will not be a shortage of food.

Ground water is severely depleted in many areas. Extreme weather is making droughts more frequent and severe. You can't grow [expletive deleted] without water.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Ground water is severely depleted in many areas. Extreme weather is making droughts more frequent and severe. You can't grow [expletive deleted] without water.

Ground is a bit soggy up here in Chiang Mai, klong behind my house is full to the brim.

(see photo in previous post, buffalo swimming in klong, taken a couple of weeks back)

Edited by BritManToo