What are you doing to ensure the integrity of the food supply for you and your family?

In my GF's village, it's a barter system. The next-door neighbor trades bananas for windfall rice from the surrounding rice fields, my GF's brother grows frogs he trades for other foodstuffs. Scorpions are on the menu.

Thailand is known as the food bowl of Asia, unless everything is exported, no food crisis here.

The day market in Chiang Rai is always crammed with fruit and vegetables. The only time I have seen an empty shelf at Big C or Tops was in the early days of COVID, when some Thai guru on social media claimed eggs were a good prophylactic for COVID. I wondered at the time what a Thai with a shopping trolley full of eggs would do when they realized they would need to eat a couple of dozen a day to stop them going rotten.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

It may well be the most significant catalyst for China moving on Taiwan also.

Taiwan is a net importer of food. China therefore would be dumb to invade in the hope of procuring more food.

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

I'm very surprised as well Adumbration. OK, in a food crisis, Mr. Farang Deep Pockets might be able to outbid the starving peasants for a while, but what if there was no food at all? Farang-y boy is going to be at the back of the queue, big time. As far as Thailand being a big food producer, true enough, but most of that is rice, corn, cassava and production which could easily be severely crimped in a major drought.

There is more rice, seafood and some fruits than Thailand can consume. Dumb article.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Really? I think you might want to check on that. Sure, there's seasonal produce, but over all there's plenty of fruits and vegetables coming from China. There's also this misconception that meat sold at farmers markets is coming from small artisan family farms when in reality most of it comes from industrial producers like Saha Farms, Betagro, etc. The local vendors buy pork by the side, and then butcher it themselves. I don't think things are quite as "local" as you imagine.

I don't often agree with Gecko but what he says is entirely true here.  Many of the stall holders at the fresh market just buy their meats at tesco and then resell at the market for a small profit.  That is why many Tescos have a maximum purchase amount on chicken breast and the like.  Also a great deal of the fruit does come from China or other countries (just look at the stickers on apples at your local market as just one relevant example).

Edited by Adumbration
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

The food supply crisis is going to get a lot more serious than you currently think. It is not just going to be about high and rising prices, it is going to be about there is just no food to buy.

Take it you haven't been here very long, wouldn't be the first time the shelves have been empty, but people are innovative and resilient.

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

I'm very surprised as well Adumbration. OK, in a food crisis, Mr. Farang Deep Pockets might be able to outbid the starving peasants for a while, but what if there was no food at all? Farang-y boy is going to be at the back of the queue, big time. As far as Thailand being a big food producer, true enough, but most of that is rice, corn, cassava and production which could easily be severely crimped in a major drought.

The price of rice has remained reasonable for now due to stockpiles and the fact it is not really a perishable food.  But it will soon start rocketing in price like chicken and pork alreay have.  Flag this post for future reference.

Yes Mr farang is also shielded from the reality of the recent price increases because of the arbitrage of our exchange rates.  Who cares if chicken has increased from 42 baht to 110 baht...it is only 2 USD right....

What I want to discuss in this thread is not rising food prices, but the situation where there is just nothing to buy.  And obviously this will be a much more serious issue in urban areas where is it not possible to grow your own produce.

• Haha 2

Reminds me of the old Soviet-Era joke.....

A battalion of soldiers is listening to a speech by a plump general...

"Soon, comrades, all of you will have your own private jets"

One soldier to another:

"Dmitri, why are we needing private jet? What is use?"

"Sascha, you idjiot ! What if you're in Moscva and you hear there is bread for sale in Minsk?"

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Thai with a shopping trolley full of eggs would do when they realized they would need to eat a couple of dozen a day to stop them going rotten.

Eggs last a long time 1 year +, if you rub them with an oily rag before storing.

Then they last even longer pickled.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

You posted previously in another thread that you do not like Thai food.

I did no such thing.  I like Thai food well enough but variety is the spice of life. Although , I will allow that the MIL might be a bit tough when it comes to it.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Adumbration said:

What are you doing to ensure that the integrity of the food supply for your family?

We're all becoming vegans and will live on a diet of pure ganja. Surely you realised there was a solid reason for the government changing the law?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

What I want to discuss in this thread is not rising food prices, but the situation where there is just nothing to buy. 

My woman was a hunter/forager in her early years, they ate what they could find in the jungle.

We're still only 2Km from the jungle, but what she finds is not something I'd choose to eat.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Denim said:

I did no such thing.  I like Thai food well enough but variety is the spice of life. Although , I will allow that the MIL might be a bit tough when it comes to it.

Forget the MiL, plenty of young bar girls to eat.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

My woman was a hunter/forager in her early years, they ate what they could find in the jungle.

We're still only 2Km from the jungle, but what she finds is not something I'd choose to eat.

True enough.  And those that have access to land or sea to gather, forage, hunt or fish will fair much better than those in urban centers.  Personally I have just purchased a larger sea fishing boat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adumbration said:

True enough.  And those that have access to land or sea to gather, forage, hunt or fish will fair much better than those in urban centers.  Personally I have just purchased a larger sea fishing boat.

You can assume there won't be any fuel, so I hope its got oars or sails.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Years  ago i thought about buying a briquette machine to make charcoal out of farm waste.

Went down the path of a cold oil press instead.

Might be time to look again as you will need to cook somehow the food you can get.