Fears for the baht as it hits a 15-year low and Thai economic performance in the medium term

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai baht, this week, reached a 15-year low against the US dollar with local analysts predicting that it will breach the ฿36 barrier against the US currency.

Good for everything, tourism, exports, russians . Oh no, sorry.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai baht, this week, reached a 15-year low against the US dollar with local analysts predicting that it will breach the ฿36 barrier against the US currency

35.46 Thb to $1 this morning, not sure why it dropped, but lets see what happens when the banks open.  Waiting on 36 to transfer a chunk needed for a purchase.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, blazes said:

Best to take advantage of US$ strength in the next 12 months or so.  As long as Powell raises rates, all will be well for those of us who want a weaker baht.

But when US rates level off or (worse) float back down as Wall Street cries out for help, so will the exchange rate dollar/baht return to unfavourable (for us expats).

Question is: does Powell have the balls to firmly overcome the present negative rates? 

US 10 yr at ~3.15.

Inflation at 8.1%

That's a reason to play the FX game and transfer as it rises and then transfer back as it descends.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandrew33 said:

Extremely narrow focus of Baht v USD. 

AUD was almost 33 Baht a decade ago it’s now 25 baht. 

Perhaps remove the focus on USD and take a bigger picture view? 

check that rate again. It's been below 25. ( low to mid 24's) for the last month or so. Even though the AUD is not that strong against the USD, it seems to be the only currency that the baht is getting stronger against.

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Fears for the baht as it hits a 15-year low

Really ? The £/baht was higher than currently last week ! Talk about a nonsense headline

With the prices going higher and the Baht going lower this will have a huge effect on the Thai people that don't get a cost of living  increases in pay. example, I get a cost of living increase twice a year on my pension.

• Thanks 1

I don't think anyone really cares about the Pacific Peso except Strayans.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

the growing impact of chronic problems such as household debt and a rapidly ageing population

Considering the current situation in the US I looked last night if abortion was legal in Thailand and I found it was just made legal in 2021. Honestly I'm surprised the current government would allow this now when birth rates are falling and age is rising.

Land feels overpriced in Thailand so maybe population is too high but governments tend to look at the new people as new tax payers so again the timing of this law change is curious.

• Confused 2

exactly

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, kevin612 said:

The baht was strong for many years, let it weaken for one year.  Why the heck this dude want baht stay strong forever.

I agree, just watching the TNN Business channel and they expect the Baht to regain strength by the 2nd quarter of next year and be between 30.5 and 31 to the USD.

• Like 2