Expats in THailand can't use PayPal anymore as of October, 2022

A message from PayPal:

We greatly value our customers in Thailand however, as we are using the NDID platform to authenticate customer identities as a pre-requisite to transferring their PayPal accounts to PayPal Thailand, we sincerely apologize that we will not be able to continue extending our services at this time to customers in Thailand who do not have a Thai national ID.

You may now click the "X" on the top-right to end this chat session. Thank you for contacting PayPal.

This is Paypal overinterpreting the rules again, earlier this year it was everyone in Thailand can't receive money on Paypal unless they had a business registration, after much complaining, the shut everything down and now this, which many Thais who had to get lawyered to get their business registered is now moot, but then another problem surfaces

2 hours ago, Bagwain said:

So much for attracting the digital nomads.

Typical LOS shooting the foot again! ????????

biting their nose off to spite their faces..... amazing Thailand that keeps us going  555

• Like 1

I did have a PayPal account in Thailand and I may still have despite numerous attempts at closing it. I haven't used it in years.

I also have a Pink Thai ID card but nothing I see in PayPal attracts me anymore.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, billd766 said:

I did have a PayPal account in Thailand and I may still have despite numerous attempts at closing it. I haven't used it in years.

I also have a Pink Thai ID card but nothing I see in PayPal attracts me anymore.

I just closed it. Logged in, then under Account Settings chose Close account. It warned that if I proceed, it's irreversible and I clicked Close account button again - and it was gone. Received mails of all the "contracts" being cancelled (like eBay, Skype and other auto-pay options I've added over the years), and that was it.

If you want to get rid of it, it's actually very easy. Not like social media...

• Like 2

You'd think that a large and well-established global company such as PayPal could have worked something out, after they had already annoyed us earlier this year with their botched/postponed account transfer to PayPal Thailand.

For some strange reason, neither TrueMoney nor Rabbit LINE Pay require expats to enroll in NDID (which, of course, they can't) to use their services. They've put an alternative process in place, and while that can be painful, it works. It's mind-boggling that PayPal Thailand can't or won't do something similar. 

In the other thread on this topic I mentioned that I'd messaged Paypal to ask why I couldn't link my account to my UK bank or credit card. There was a fairly quick response, asking me to submit a copy of my passport, which I did. This was acknowledged, and they would get back to me "within 48 hours". 2 weeks later I've heard nothing..

I just called PP and they told me they will send me a mail and give the date when i can no longer use my account. I asked them if it was possible for my account to be changed into my wifes name and that was a no go.

They informed me my wife can open a new account but it must be business only, there is no personal account available for Thai nationals

• Sad 1

On 7/12/2022 at 2:07 PM, Isan Farang said:

I just called PP and they told me they will send me a mail and give the date when i can no longer use my account. I asked them if it was possible for my account to be changed into my wifes name and that was a no go.

They informed me my wife can open a new account but it must be business only, there is no personal account available for Thai nationals

So who exactly is making up these discriminatory rules? Is it a Thai government department, The NDID entity (whoever THEY are), The soon-to-be Paypal Thailand or Paypal head office USA?

• Like 1

I decided to take the approach of contacting PayPal and asking them how their new discriminatory decision fit with their polices on the subject.  Every time I chase and answer they tell me that they have 'escalated' the issue.

This leads me oi the simple and obvious conclusion that the decision does not comply with PayPal's published policies.

I suggest everyone who is as <deleted> off as I am to do the same.  Contact PayPal's support and ask them to identify the clause in their terms and conditions that allows them to discriminate in this way.  If enough people do it then they might get the message.

• 4 weeks later...

Got another message from paypal

This user agreement is a contract between you and PayPal (Thailand) Limited ("PayPal"), a Thai company governing your use of your PayPal account and the PayPal services. If you are a business, the business must be organized in, operating in, or a resident of Thailand to open a PayPal account and use the PayPal services. If you are an individual, you must be a resident of Thailand and at least 20 years old.

I don't know... but I am not a Thai citizen but I am a resident. Has anything changed?

I also read something about they are going to do something about trying to use Singapore as a by pass ... maybe but I can't find that anymore...

14 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

Got another message from paypal

This user agreement is a contract between you and PayPal (Thailand) Limited ("PayPal"), a Thai company governing your use of your PayPal account and the PayPal services. If you are a business, the business must be organized in, operating in, or a resident of Thailand to open a PayPal account and use the PayPal services. If you are an individual, you must be a resident of Thailand and at least 20 years old.

I don't know... but I am not a Thai citizen but I am a resident. Has anything changed?

I also read something about they are going to do something about trying to use Singapore as a by pass ... maybe but I can't find that anymore...

It depends on what's their definition of resident. 

Some don't consider one year visa as resident, it could mean permanent resident.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

I don't know why merchants still want to use Paypal when the exchange rate is bad and with restrictions like this.

Wouldn't it be better to just use Wise to do a money transfer?

I know you are right... but I buy many things off ebay and that is the biggest reason I use Paypal... many sellers don't sell if I don't use PP.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone got any updates on Paypal Thailand's discriminatory dictat about barring anyone who is not Thai from using their platform? After all it contravenes the UN Declaration on Race and Racial Prejudice, Article 2.2 .....2. Racism,  of which Thailand is a signatory!

Another beef I have is they have not defined what they term as a 'resident'. Do they mean someone who resides (ie. lives) in Thailand? Or do they mean someone who holds a Residents Permit. The latter definition makes no sense as a Residence Permit holder is obviously not a Thai national.

This whole sorry saga is nonsensical at best, and racist at worst!.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jaray said:

Anyone got any updates on Paypal Thailand's discriminatory dictat about barring anyone who is not Thai from using their platform? After all it contravenes the UN Declaration on Race and Racial Prejudice, Article 2.2 .....2. Racism,  of which Thailand is a signatory!

Another beef I have is they have not defined what they term as a 'resident'. Do they mean someone who resides (ie. lives) in Thailand? Or do they mean someone who holds a Residents Permit. The latter definition makes no sense as a Residence Permit holder is obviously not a Thai national.

This whole sorry saga is nonsensical at best, and racist at worst!.

Yes my update.

closed account last week.

Not interested in paypal at all now.

They can <deleted> off.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just a thought, if my Thai wife opened a new account with Paypal and went through all the NDID rigmaroll but used my email address, would THAT 'work'? - Oh..... what about the 2-step log-in - when I log-in on my PC, Paypal send me a log-in code which I must use. The log-in code would go to HER mobile phone so she would need to be next to me when I wanted to log-in?...... just trying to find a work-around!

I am using my 'local' PP account with a Thai address and Thai CC, that works as well

However still trying to get Thai PP confirmed; reply as below

Other forms of identification which do not have a 13-digit Thai national ID number, such as a non-Thai passport, work permit, non-Thai Identification card (pink ID), or Thai Permanent Resident Permit cannot be accepted as of the moment.

So this morning I asked them if my Thai TAX ID card would help, no feed back yet