Shooting reported at 4th of July parade in Chicago suburb of Highland Park

Scott

Shooting reported at 4th of July parade in Chicago suburb of Highland Park

A shooting was reported at a Fourth of July parade in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park, Illinois, on Monday, the Lake County Sheriff's Office said.

Highland Park Mayor Nancy Rotering tweeted that Highland Park police are responding to an incident downtown and that "Fourth Fest" is canceled.

Highland Park officials are urging people downtown to shelter in place.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/shooting-reported-4th-july-parade-chicago-suburb-highland/story?id=86186529

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Illinois shooting: Six dead in 4 July parade shooting near Chicago

By Marianna Brady in Highland Park and Leo Sands in London
BBC News

Police are still searching for a gunman who shot dead six people at a Fourth of July Independence Day parade near the US city of Chicago, officials say.

The event in the city of Highland Park was suddenly halted shortly after 10:00 local (15:00 GMT), when several shots were heard.

Residents have been urged to stay at home and contact their loved ones to make sure they are safe.

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62042636

BBC.jpg

-- © Copyright BBC 2022-07-05
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

And another shooting in the Greatest Country in the world.  Oh ya, "we need all those guns for protection" says GOP.  And that's why they're called Assault rifles?  Never heard of those "Protection rifles".

• Like 1

Person of interest in custody in connection with Fourth of July parade shooting in Illinois

Robert E. Crimo III, a person of interest in a mass shooting at a parade that left six dead and sent more than two dozen people to hospitals, has been taken into custody near Lake Forest, Illinois, authorities said during a brief news conference Monday night.

Authorities said Crimo was spotted by a North Chicago officer who attempted a traffic stop. Crimo led officers on a brief chase before being stopped. He was taken into custody without incident and will be transferred to the police department in Highland Park, where the deadly shooting occurred earlier Monday.

Crimo has not been named as a suspect. When asked, authorities said he remains a "person of interest" while they investigate and positively connect him to the scene. CNN

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Americans have yet to learn from other countries it is quite possible to have a functioning democracy without every citizen being armed to the teeth.

The Biden administration gets bipartisan support for gun reforms, the Supreme Court expands the right to carry weapons. One has to wonder who is running the country.

Of course, if Trump was still there, it would be the same old "thoughts and prayer

It is becoming increasingly clear that the system is broken. The executive branch is ignored, the legislative branch has been hijacked and the judicial branch is following it's own agenda.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Credo said:

And once again, the weapon of choice was an assault-style rifle.  A doctor on the scene described the immense damage done to some of the killed, who were 'blown apart.'   

It's time to outlaw those weapons.  

Yet we still have the nuts like Tucker Carlson who claim the AR-15 are not assault rifles but bought for protection:

Dr. David Baum, who attended the parade, told NBC Chicago the bodies he saw were “not an image that anyone who’s not a physician would have an easy time processing.” 

"They had horrific injuries — the kind of injuries you'd probably see in wartime, the kind of injuries that only probably happen when bullets can blow bodies up,” he said. “These bodies were gone. They covered them up immediately and went on to trying to get other people out."

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Robert “Bobby” Crimo aka Awake the Rapper seems to have been posting very disturbed materials on internet for the last 10 years, and actually making money from it.  Already removed from newspaper reports.  

Highland Park shooting person of interest left online trail of violent imagery

Social media profiles show he performed as a rapper who went by the name “Awake,” whose recent music videos included depictions of mass murder

Crimo also posted frequently to a message board that discussed graphic depictions of murder, suicide and death. His most recent post to that message board came last week, when he posted a video of a beheading.

Crimo didn’t frequently post about major political figures on his websites, except for two posts about former President Donald Trump.

A video posted to Crimo’s YouTube page on Jan. 2, 2021, appears to show Crimo among a throng of protesters cheering for Trump’s presidential motorcade outside an airport. Crimo flips the phone’s orientation to reveal his face at the end of the video.

(more)

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/chicago-shooting-person-interest-left-online-trail-violent-imagery-rcna36628

I saw an amateur video of a street scene of this horror. In it the shots could be heard clearly. I counted one grouping of shots at 24 in roughly about 5 or so seconds. Assault rifle without doubt.  

I read a post about people criticising the US as if there was some sort of resentment, envy, jealousy, or victimisation of and towards America by those who posted their horror, anger, criticism, and melancholy towards the US.

I assure other members I, now (as a result of the past 5 years of watching the unmasking of the nations psyche) hold the US in a place of pity, horror, compassion, revulsion, and at times yes even contempt.

The last two emotions mostly focused on those people and systems that support this racist, violent culture and those who would actively seek to enlarge these inhumane cultural obscenities. 

None of these feelings and critical thinking responses have the slightest to do with the the preceding assumed position I or others I hold. but rather my far-from-perfect (flawed) love of humanity, and in so doing an open rejection of that which is inhumane. 

To further dispel any 'righteous victim' stances held by others, I hold similar thoughts and feeling for other oppressive corrupt and inhumane systems on our planet. 

• Like 1

Being British, I obviously come from a 'gun controlled' environment and am conditioned as such. In my younger days I saw the gangs in my locality with pistols but then they were hardened criminals. (In my experience the gas propelled pellet guns were not used by such gangs). But this is nowhere near what is going on in the USA today with teens killing other children is schools etc. I don't claim to know much about the US history but from what I have read it seems that the so called 'wild west' was basically responsible for the allowed carrying of pistols and rifles as protection against bandits etc. while travelling prospecting etc. But it seems that even here, there were some towns that required that all residents surrender their guns to the law authority in the town while residing in the town. That type of 'gun control' may have been possible then because, compared to today, towns were fairly small and easier to manage. (What about the population in the eastern towns...did they have any gun laws or not? Perhaps someone here can answer that.) So the mindset was to carry a gun at that time which has since become part the American (accepted) way of life and 'gun control' is going to be a difficult problem because someone might see it as an infringement on their earlier given rights while another will argue there is now a need to curb those rights.

Here are the states with the strictest gun laws in America

6th. Illinois, 14.1 gun deaths per 100,000 residents. Illinois has a higher-than-average rate of gun deaths. A large share of trafficked guns recovered in the state are originally purchased out-of-state. The state has fewer laws to ensure industry and product safety, but checks nearly every box when it comes to limiting guns in public and keeping guns out of the wrong hands. Illinois ranks 27th in gun death rate.

https://www.deseret.com/2022/5/27/23144447/states-with-the-strictest-gun-control-laws-mass-shooting-2nd-amendment-violent-crime-concealed-carry

Illinois is sixth out of 50,thats where this incident took place. Having Guns are allowed by the laws of our Constitution! Millions and millions of law abiding Americans are responsible gun owners .   

There are  some individual's that fall through the cracks ,like the mentally disturbed that at the time of allowance were granted a license ,cause they had no mental issues. Then there are the ones,like criminals  that some how obtain them,  illegal ! 

Edited by riclag