LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

I haven't flew out of Thailand in many years....it's my understanding the current "departure/exit" fee (tax) is included in the airline ticket vs a person paying the fee separately at the airport to to the govt when leaving like it use to be many years ago.   Or said another way the airlines collect the departure fee when selling the ticket and later pass the fee the Thai govt versus the Thai govt directly collecting fee at the airport.

Assuming the departure fee is collected by the airlines are there currently any exceptions?   If none I can understand why airlines don't kick-and-bite too much about collecting such a fee as administratively/software programming-wise it's a lot easier than trying to collect a fee that may have a lot of exceptions....a lot of exceptions like the new proposed "entry" fee.  

Now if the govt can't convince/steamroll the airlines into collecting the new entry fee "with exceptions" (and remember the airlines don't doing such a fee with exceptions) the govt might delete the exceptions just to get the airlines to start collecting the fee OR the govt would have to start collecting the fee themselves as you entered Thailand....another obstacle to get thru....obstacles like immigration, customs, and now payment of any entry fee.....AND/OR the govt could collect the fee on everyone but then offer a refund process for Thai's and some other exceptions....a refund process nobody would probably like.   OR the govt could ????????

Will be interesting to see what the govt and airlines finally agree to (or continue to disagree on).   This entry fee has already been delayed several times due to problems--like how to collect the fee.   Time will tell.

Fortunately it's not an issue in the LTR application process....instead, just some folks wondering if the new fee would apply to those with LTR visas.  

I arrived in bkk last night 4-5-2023 and only received the visa stamp ltrp (evisa and it states multi on it) and not a multi entry stamp along with it. Has it changed or do I need to go to immigration and have multi stamp added? I have my evisa paperwork with the multi listed on it tucked in my passport just in case. 

Regards

1 hour ago, tomm12 said:

I arrived in bkk last night 4-5-2023 and only received the visa stamp ltrp (evisa and it states multi on it) and not a multi entry stamp along with it. Has it changed or do I need to go to immigration and have multi stamp added? I have my evisa paperwork with the multi listed on it tucked in my passport just in case. 

Regards

No need to go to BoI immigration and have a multi-entry stamp entered since your evisa states multi-entry.  Misty entered on an LTR evisa like you just did and visited with BoI on the question you are asking.   See Misty's 19 Dec 2022 post at the bottom and a partial quote from her post regarding your question.

* Regarding stamps in passports, LTR e-visa holders do not get or need any additional re-entry stamps. The LTR e-visa itself (digital pdf and/or print-out) is the equivalent to a stamp in the passport.  On the LTR e-visa, it clearly says "multiple entry" and apparently that is all that is needed. The BoI staff suggested I keep a copy folded up in my passport when I travel internationally. 

Misty's 19 Dec 2022 post below.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Pib said:

No need to go to BoI immigration and have a multi-entry stamp entered since your evisa states multi-entry.  Misty entered on an LTR evisa like you just did and visited with BoI on the question you are asking.   See Misty's 19 Dec 2022 post at the bottom and a partial quote from her post regarding your question.

Misty's 19 Dec 2022 post below.

Thank you for the quick response. I was reading through the responses and saw a picture of the stamps from one of the posters and it had both stamps listed, It looks like I did not read far enough.

Thank you again,

so if you have an LTR Visa wealthy pensioner, is it possible to get a digital work permit, to work on a Thai Company, and do the Thai Company need 4 Thai staff for this work permit?

21 minutes ago, Cocon said:

so if you have an LTR Visa wealthy pensioner, is it possible to get a digital work permit, to work on a Thai Company, and do the Thai Company need 4 Thai staff for this work permit?

Yes you can get a digital work permit to work for a Thai company, and no the 4 Thai staff are not needed.

• Love It 1

7 minutes ago, Pib said:

BoI has just announced on 9 May 2023 an initial list of LTR Visa Certified Agents (CA)....that is, visa agents approved by BoI to assist people in the LTR Visa application process.  See below post for more info.

Thank you @Pib I know many have been waiting to see what help these agents can give them with the needed paperwork and acting as a go between.  Folks need to remember that these agents will be held to the letter of the policy which BOI has for issuing these Visas.

Applicants need to understand also that a will CA charge their own fee which is "above and beyond" the basic BoI/Immigration LTR visa fee of Bt50K.  I only took a very quick look at those CAs providing a website for more info and one of them lists their fee as Bt85K.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/9/2023 at 8:58 PM, ThailandRyan said:

and acting as a go between. 

I can do my own paperwork, but I'm getting slightly wobbly to travel. Thus, I'd gladly pay an agent to courier my paperwork, and act as my power of attorney, to go to Bangkok to get the visa. But, I guess this isn't part of the package....

3 minutes ago, JimGant said:

I can do my own paperwork, but I'm getting slightly wobbly to travel. Thus, I'd gladly pay an agent to courier my paperwork, and act as my power of attorney, to go to Bangkok to get the visa. But, I guess this isn't part of the package....

I would be interesting to know exactly "what type/level of assistance" a LTR CA could provide for an applicant versus a generic overview of available assistance.   

Of the four CAs currently listed on the BoI website and taking a quick look at the CAs web pages (with the exception of the Thai Relo Services CA weblink which does not work for me as it just opens as a blank white screen and is also an unsecure (HTTP) weblink vs a secure (HTTPS) weblink) the only info I found on the CA webpages regarding the level of service provided was on the True Digital Park CA webpage....see snapshot at bottom....which was very little detail.   And I couldn't find even below level of detail at the other CA webpages...pretty much they all ask that an interested applicant to contact them for more info.   

@JimGant, I see StarVisaServices in your town of Chiang Mai is one of the CAs....if not already done so, maybe contact them for more detail as to how much assistance they can provide.  Heck, maybe these CAs will be given the power to transport an applicant to a near by immigration office/BoI regional office for the final issue of an LTR visa...that is, where they need to take your picture and fingerprints before stamping in the Permitted to Stay LTR stamp.  There is a BoI regional office in Chiang Mai and of course they have a immigration office that you currently use.  But my gut feeling is it's probably going to require a visit to the BoI and Immigration Office in Bangkok at Chamchuri Square for the final inking/issue of the LTR visa when a person selects to have the LTR visa issued within Thailand vs the outside Thailand via the evisa method.  

From True Digital Park LTR CA webpage regarding services provided.image.png.1c1ab4239661ccff8454b7d9ba38a6ea.png''

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Misty Seems you are the only one that has received a work permit using the WP category so perhaps you know this. Are there any caveats to the type of company you can work for besides the normal restrictions for foreigners? Specifically, I guess I want to know if its limited to the HSP targeted categories or BOI promoted companies? You mentioned that you are sponsoring your own work permit via your company. Is your company a BOI promoted company??

For anyone, was it determined if working while on an LTR visa would qualify for PR after 3 years or is that still limited to the NonO and NonB?

9 hours ago, dfg42 said:

For anyone, was it determined if working while on an LTR visa would qualify for PR after 3 years or is that still limited to the NonO and NonB?

I'm only guessing but I expect an LTR visa will qualify as the PR regulation was written saying a person needed a long term non-immigrant visa of 1 year in length for 3 consecutive years because when the PR regulation was written before the LTR visa came into existence last year. 

I would think it's just a matter of the regulation/guidance being updated to include the LTR visa since an LTR via allows a 5 year stay per each Permitted to Stay Stamp which is longer than the 1 year Permitted to Stay stamp of a Non Immigration 1 year visa.....plus, the LTR visa allows a work permit which means the person can work, pay Thai taxes, etc., to meet the other PR requirement. 

Yea, I'm guessing, but I don't see why an LTR visa would not satisfy PR visa requirements.   Hopefully there will be some official, written clarification in the near future....but we all know Thai time many times runs slower than normal time. 

From the Bangkok Immigration Website

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/2.2คำแนะนำอังกฤษ-2565-legal.pdf

image.png.b71d5bd3293ffb85544632ead6107d9f.png

Hi a couple of questions on the Work from Thailand for Professionals LTR visa

1) I will be working for a UK limited company which is part of a much larger international group.. whilst the Uk company does not meet the threshold of $150m the parent company is listed on the NYSE and well exceeds that. Will that be permissable?

2) I currently meet the requirement of having earned over $80k for each of the last 2 years, but it is likely I would have to take a salary sacrifice below this to work in Thailand. The requirements list only talks about earnings in the last 2 years up to the application. Would this be permissable

3) I am thinking of doing a $150 consultation with BE Laws to try and get definitive answers to the above.. does this seem worth it? or can anyone recommend other legal professionals to speak to about this..?

Edited by bobble07

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, oldcpu said:

I finally obtained approval for the LTR visa

Great write up. Thank you for a good description. 

You have to question though, whether the effort you went to, plus the tying up of funds into bonds, plus a trip to BKK - stacks up vs the Elite Visa. 

You could have paid 1M baht, no effort otherwise, and had 20 years hassle free stay.

I can only guess at how many hours of your time was spent on this, hundreds and hundreds judging from the description.

But it is done now, it will be hassle free for you for 10 years, and it sounded like you enjoyed the challenge!

1 minute ago, Pib said:

Getting an Elite visa is indeed easy.....folk-out a lot of money and pass the Thai police check and a person will get an Elite visa   

But for me choosing between Bt1M for a 20 year Elite visa OR assuming the LTR visa program continues for many years 2 times Bt50K (i.e., fee for two LTR visas covering 20 years) for a total of Bt100K I would go the LTR route and smile in the Bt900K savings which will grow a lot of interest and/or buy some very nice things over 20 years.  

That is a bit simplistic isn't it? Keeping a lot of money in Thailand (investment plus self insurance) for 20 years will not be cost free for most.

7 minutes ago, Pib said:

Not simplistic for a top level cost analysis IMO.  For someone who has retired to Thailand, already owns their residence (or plans to buy), and has other investments in Thailand and other countries it pretty much boils down to the visa "upfront/fee" cost being the major cost deciding factor.   

Like oldcpu who initially tried to use a foreign investment/equity account to self-insure but since that investment account is really a bunch of stocks/mutual funds affected by stock market up "and downs" it could not be accepted by BoI.  In the initial months of the LTR program BoI did accept some investment accts but no more.  Instead, it must be a cash/bank type account like a savings/current/money market type acct or even a Foreign Currency Deposit (FCD) acct not affected by stock market up and downs....and that FCD is what oldcpu used since he's had it for years.  Oldcpu didn't have to move any money around between foreign and Thai accts; he just needed to find the right one to satisfy BoI. 

These self insure accounts can be in "any" country; not required to be Thailand accts.  And these foreign or Thailand accts can be used to meet the overall annual income requirement.  It's just when a person's pension/fixed income falls between the $40K-$80K USD that an additional investment of $250K in Thai govt bonds, investments, or property is required.  And if they already happen to own a Thai residence that cost at least $250K then that satisfies the $250K investment requirement when a person pension/fixed income is below Bt80K/year.  No investment required when pension/fixed income is at least $80K

Oldcpu has that Bt900K upfront fee savings to invest anywhere in the world.

I'm not disagreeing with a single word you have written there. I would say though he needed to make an investment in Thai bonds he would not have made otherwise. 

But consider the effort required to satisfy the paperwork BOI needs.

You could apply for Elite in 15 minutes. 

I'm betting oldcpu spent hundreds of hours of time on this. Granted, that's fine and good on him.

Just making that point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

In the initial months of the LTR program BoI did accept some investment accts but no more.  Instead, it must be a cash/bank type account like a savings/current/money market type acct or even a Foreign Currency Deposit (FCD) acct not affected by stock market up and downs...

Very sad that the BOI made these changes.  So contrary to all expectations the BOI did not use the huge shortfall between forcasted and actual LTR visas issued as motivation to increase flexibility, but on the contrary tightened conditions.  The same apparently also applies to various conditions for the LTR-Work from Thailand visa.  Previously, for this it was enough if you are working for the subsidiary of a listed entity, now the listing requirement is only fulfilled if you work for the listed company itself, but not for any of its subsidiaries as most employees of a large listed group would which does not make any sense whatsoever.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Thanks !  I am happy now that I have the Visa.

Hundreds of hours? No - not by any means.

I did spend some time.

I think I spent (a) just under 2 hours to obtain the documents I thought I would need, back before my initial application on 17-Jan-2023.  (b) 1 hour for initial online application.  (c)  For buying the 2-million THB in Thailand government bonds I spent about 6 hours total: (1 hour visiting 4 different banks in Central Festival in Phuket, checking if any would sell me bonds + about 3 hours (mostly waiting @ bank) to order the bonds, and then 1 hour (mostly waiting at bank) to order bond certificate (which I didn't get) and then 1-hour (mostly waiting) at bank to get letter + amendment to bond book)).  (d) Then for each of 11 information requests, about 30-minutes to 1-hour dependent on request (and whether I phoned BoI as a result).  Say average of 45-minutes for about 8 hours total.

Some other things I did didn't cost me any extra time - as I either had to do such anyway, or I did it while waiting for my wife.  For example, for my Canadian taxes - I had to submit those anyway. Another example:  I did have to go to a Thai bank to get a bank statement to prove the >$100K USA equivalent (in Euros in a foreign currency deposit - because the online did not work for me due to a lack of account activity), but I timed that with a shopping trip (that my wife wanted me to go with her) so while she shopped I was able to get that statement quickly (and I have a Exclusive status with that bank, which means I get to relax in their lounge while waiting for the paperwork).

So in practics, total extra time, 2 + 1 + 6 + 8 = 17 hours. That's probably a massive over estimation. Definitely not hundreds.

Note thou, 11 hours of this ~17 hours were spent on my condo balcony, over looking the sea with a fabulous view, with a laptop computer on a table, my feet up on a stool, sipping cool drinks.  It was not bad at all.  I can not complain one bit.

I looked at the Elite Visa, but spending 1-million Thai baht that neither my wife nor myself would ever see again, didn't appeal to either of us.  Also, I could be dead in 15 years ... much less than 20 years. Perhaps if I was under age-50 I might consider it, but not at age-69.   So I rejected the Elite Visa, and possibly in 10 years time (in 2033) I might reject again going for the LTR Wealth Pensioner visa.

However some do like the Elite Visa - and my view is if they are happy with that approach, then all the more to them and all the best wishes.

Many thanks.   Being able to do the vast majority of the application and paper submission from the comfort of my condo made a truly MASSIVE difference.

As noted - I am happy I now have the LTR Visa.

As we all have said, it isn't about the time spent putting it all in the system, but it is about what the LTR Visa brings to the table for us.  The other issue which we have discussed in the OP is that you can stay in the country for the next ten years, if you wish without leaving, and you only need to do a 1 year report, and we will not pay any annual extension fees like you would with an Elite Visa.

At the end of the 5th year it is just a resubmission of what's already in our files, and the paperwork they gave us all, after approval, indicating the Visa type and no further monies are needed , and we are good for another 5 years. 

As @Pib has stated at the end of the 10th year it is a recycle of our documents showing we still comply and off we go for another ten years for only 50K Thb.  So for me it was a no brainer.  With the changes to my Wifes Visa status, as we are now married, and the upcoming documentation under the dependent category, we will then be able to travel in and out without her needing a re-entry permit to keep her soon to be old extension of stay (Myanmar) from expiring.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If I have the kind of income specified for this “visa”, the country involved had better be prepared to kneel and shine my shoes with their tongue. Thailand seems not to understand that when THAT kind of investment is made……..we OWN you.