LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

17 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

As we all have said, it isn't about the time spent putting it all in the system, but it is about what the LTR Visa brings to the table for us.  The other issue which we have discussed in the OP is that you can stay in the country for the next ten years, if you wish without leaving, and you only need to do a 1 year report, and we will not pay any annual extension fees like you would with an Elite Visa.

If your plan is to spend 100% of your time in Thailand with zero travel, it makes sense to bring the bulk of your assets to Thailand and avoid the need for annual extensions. The LTR WP visa is then ideal. Do most financially secure retirees fall into that category?

20 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

folks with that money will go to the south of france not a 3rd world country

Your wrong with that view.  There are plenty of us already here who have the new Visa class.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One 'perk' that I wish the LTR Visa had, which to the best of my knowledge it doesn't have, would be exemption from having to submit a TM30 every time I return home from traveling overnight outside of my condominium here in Thailand. 

I forgot to ask BoI (when I was in their office receiving my 10-Year LTR WP visa) if I would be TM30 exempt (even thou I (pessimistically suspect ) I know the answer).

I return to Phuket soon from Bangkok, and its my plan to enter my return in the TM30 database.  I am also curious to see if there is an entry in that TM30 database (for the LTR Visa) to select beside my name, when my wife and I register my return to my abode in that database.

5 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

One 'perk' that I wish the LTR Visa had, which to the best of my knowledge it doesn't have, would be exemption from having to submit a TM30 every time I return home from traveling overnight outside of my condominium here in Thailand. 

I forgot to ask BoI (when I was in their office receiving my 10-Year LTR WP visa) if I would be TM30 exempt (even thou I (pessimistically suspect ) I know the answer).

I return to Phuket soon from Bangkok, and its my plan to enter my return in the TM30 database.  I am also curious to see if there is an entry in that TM30 database (for the LTR Visa) to select beside my name, when my wife and I register my return to my abode in that database.

According to the latest guidance (unfortunately not followed by all immigration offices) you only need to submit a fresh TM30 report if (i) your permanent residence changes; or (ii) you leave Thailand and re-enter with a fresh permission to stay. As far as I know, there has been no official word on whether re-entering with an LTR visa should be treated as a fresh entry under the guidance. (It has been explicitly stated that coming back with a re-entry permit is not a fresh entry.)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, BritTim said:

According to the latest guidance (unfortunately not followed by all immigration offices) you only need to submit a fresh TM30 report if (i) your permanent residence changes; or (ii) you leave Thailand and re-enter with a fresh permission to stay. As far as I know, there has been no official word on whether re-entering with an LTR visa should be treated as a fresh entry under the guidance. (It has been explicitly stated that coming back with a re-entry permit is not a fresh entry.)

Thanks for that info.   I confess I do not know what Phuket's immigration's policy is on this.  There have been a couple recent articles in the local english language press about Phuket immigration handing out 'yellow cards' to both foreigners and their Thai landlords for failing to send TM30s to immigration.

After returning to Phuket, my wife and I went to the online Immigration database for TM30 and entered my return (address) to my condo. We checked the drop down menu (which lists various Visa types) and there is NO mention of the LTR Visa (ie that website has not been updated).  

However in the Thai database, to enter the Visa type as part of the online TM30 completion is an optional field.  One does not have to fill in the Visa type - and so there being no LTR Visa field in that drop down menu is rather a mute point. 

Plus as you point out, dependent on the immigration office, the guidelines you point out suggest one may not need to do the TM30 for nominal domestic travel.

Edited by oldcpu

I have a question, i want to apply for the LTR Visa but for some papers  i have to translate, but they write "a notarized translations" but this we don't have in our country we have a certified sworn translator....does anyone know or this is ok?

1 hour ago, Cocon said:

I have a question, i want to apply for the LTR Visa but for some papers  i have to translate, but they write "a notarized translations" but this we don't have in our country we have a certified sworn translator....does anyone know or this is ok?

As I understand the requirement, you need the translation to be notarised by the Thai embassy in your country, and subsequently have the notarisation validated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand. If I am mistaken, someone will no doubt correct me.

On 6/6/2023 at 8:15 PM, Mike Teavee said:

What folks with an income of $80,000 a year? 

For those of us over 60 we started working during a time when pensions were more common. If you stuck with a company or industry for 30+ years it is reasonable to expect that a work pension or work pension + Social Security (US citizens) can be above $80k/year. Particularly for those have rose to management level positions. 

17 hours ago, Cocon said:

It would be best to ask BoI via their Contact form or email address, but I expect translation via certified sworn translator is acceptable "if that is what is used in your country." 

BoI has been answering inquiries pretty fast (within hours to a few days).  Be sure to identify your country and how they use certified sworn translators in your inquiry.   I expect BoI has dealt with applications from "many" countries and know what type of translations are available in each country. 

https://ltr.boi.go.th/

Now in BritTim's response that's the procedure for getting a document "legalized" which is typically used for those folks wanting to register a marriage with the Thai govt were the marriage was accomplished outside of Thailand.

• Like 1

Hello,

Just a quick question. Will BOI accept US Medicare  supplemental Plan F for the min health insurance requirements? Or alternatively, what is the best option for health insurance coverage, keeping in mind applying for LTR from overseas and unable to do insurance check ups before reaching Thailand?

Out of interest what has been the take up # of LTR.

Read many posts almost bragging about wealth level to along lines ...

I have LTR.

Congratulations.

What are the total LTR issued so far.

Only a guess but thinking SFA. 

PE (elite visa) stats are available.

Assume LTR also. 

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Out of interest what has been the take up # of LTR.

The number is very small and orders of magnitude smaller than what the BOI was originally aiming for.  If you scroll though this thread, you will find various numbers announced.  Please however note that these are only numbers of applications, not the even smaller number of visas actually granted and issued.

3 hours ago, sustanon said:

LTRW "Wealthy Global Citizens".
Is 1 million in assets enough to apply or do you also need to have 80k a year in income ?

The qualification requirements are summarised on the page https://ltr.boi.go.th/

WEALTHY INDIVIDUALS HOLDING AT LEAST USD 1 MILLION IN ASSETS

• At least USD 1 million in assets

• Personal income of a minimum of USD 80,000/ year in the past two years

• Investment of at least USD 500,000 in Thai government bonds, foreign direct investment, or Thai property

• Health insurance with at least USD 50,000 coverage or social security benefits insuring treatment in Thailand or at least USD 100,000 deposit

• Applicants must fulfill all of the above requirements to be eligible for Wealthy Global Citizens application

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

The qualification requirements are summarised on the page https://ltr.boi.go.th/

Yet for the LTR-WP, wealthy pensioner, as has been discussed in this thread, all that's needed for it is to have a pension or such of 80k USD at least r if between 40K USD and 80k USD an investment of 250K USD in Thailand.  If you qualify you qualify.  There are other classes of LTR Visas available as well such as the one in the quote, and then a work from Thailand Visa or work in Thailand visa which also includes a work permit,