LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

I got my LTR in January and my new US passport a couple of days ago. I'm planning to go to BOI to get the LTR transferred to the new passport and I am expecting that I will get a permission to stay stamp to 5 years from January.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, MPoll said:

and I am expecting that I will get a permission to stay stamp to 5 years from January.

I would think so, although stranger stampings have occurred with the LTR's learning curve. For sure, you'll have five years permitted to stay, regardless of "until" date, since now you have a passport whose longevity exceeds five years.

Since most of us reading this, with in-country LTR stamps, will have to go through this drill -- could you please report on (assuming you interfaced first with BoI LTR, not Imm): Did BoI LTR folks hold your hand in this process, mainly in the interface with Immigration? Any surprises on paperwork required? Could you just "walk in," or would an appointment, or at least a before hand phone call, be advised? Any photos required during this process by Imm (if not, maybe I could have an agent do all of this for me...). Thanx.

Edited by JimGant
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, JimGant said:

Since most of us reading this, with in-country LTR stamps, will have to go through this drill -- could you please report on (assuming you interfaced first with BoI LTR, not Imm): Did BoI LTR folks hold your hand in this process, mainly in the interface with Immigration? Any surprises on paperwork required? Could you just "walk in," or would an appointment, or at least a before hand phone call, be advised? Any photos required during this process by Imm (if not, maybe I could have an agent do all of this for me...). Thanx.

Sure. I can tell you right now that they said I do not need an appointment. I plan to go to the BOI office early Monday morning to figure out what to do. They also have a list of forms & documents/copies needed. 

29 minutes ago, MPoll said:

They also have a list of forms & documents/copies needed. 

As I'm sure you're aware, this link lists 10 items related to transferring your LTR stamp:

https://ltr.boi.go.th/page/transferring.html

Hopefully, the OSS Imm has gotten the word that the US Embassy no longer issues certificates related to transferring stamps from old to new passports. This seems to be a continuing problem at provincial Imm offices.

11 minutes ago, JimGant said:

As I'm sure you're aware, this link lists 10 items related to transferring your LTR stamp:

Hopefully, the OSS Imm has gotten the word that the US Embassy no longer issues certificates related to transferring stamps from old to new passports. This seems to be a continuing problem at provincial Imm offices.

I bet the BoI Immigration is fully aware as they are probably smarter than the average bear immigration office....but then again, maybe not.   

Anyway, a U.S. passport person can download from the U.S. Embassy - Bangkok a letter with letterhead in English and Thai that explains the situation. 

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

As of April 10, 2023, the Embassy/Consulate will no longer issue passport linkage letters with newly issued passports. If a Thai government office requests one, your cancelled passport and your newly issued passport will suffice. You may download this letter (PDF 70KB) in Thai and English that explains the change in Embassy policy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, JimGant said:

I asked them about #3 and #10 on the list. They said some embassies provide these and some don’t. I decided to go to with what I have and work it out from there.

2 hours ago, MPoll said:

I asked them about #3 and #10 on the list. They said some embassies provide these and some don’t. I decided to go to with what I have and work it out from there.

I think #10 is not something provided by a person's home country embassy but the Endorsement Letter a person receives when BoI approves your LTR application.  A very important letter anyone with a LTR visa needs to keep in a safe place even after getting the LTR stamp/evisa LTR approval.....that Endorsement Letter is like the foundation to your LTR house and will be needed in the future for other LTR related things.  It can also be downloaded from a person's LTR online acct.  Now "maybe" when a "Thai Embassy" approves a person's evisa application based on an LTR visa they provide something like #10....I don't know....but I think #10 is just the BoI Endorsement Letter.

10. Notification letter of qualification endorsement which is addressed to the Immigration Bureau

But a lot of these "how to do something" instructions are written in a generic, trying to cover many scenarios which ends up with steps/docs that do not apply to every person.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Pib said:

I think #10 is not something provided by a person's home country embassy but the Endorsement Letter a person receives when BoI approves your LTR application.  A very important letter anyone with a LTR visa needs to keep in a safe place even after getting the LTR stamp/evisa LTR approval.....that Endorsement Letter is like the foundation to your LTR house and will be needed in the future for other LTR related things.  It can also be downloaded from a person's LTR online acct.  Now "maybe" when a "Thai Embassy" approves a person's evisa application based on an LTR visa they provide something like #10....I don't know....but I think #10 is just the BoI Endorsement Letter.

10. Notification letter of qualification endorsement which is addressed to the Immigration Bureau

But a lot of these "how to do something" instructions are written in a generic, trying to cover many scenarios which ends up with steps/docs that do not apply to every person.

I told them I didn’t know what #10 was and they basically didn’t answer. I will look at my past documents and on the website. Thanks. They were helpful when I got my visa so if there is a document as you describe then I will ask someone in the BOI office to help me download it. 

27 minutes ago, MPoll said:

I told them I didn’t know what #10 was and they basically didn’t answer. I will look at my past documents and on the website. Thanks. They were helpful when I got my visa so if there is a document as you describe then I will ask someone in the BOI office to help me download it. 

Log onto your LTR acct, click Check Status, under the Status column click on Print and a window will pop up offering two documents...each document is a one page memo with a one page attachment.  See snapshot at bottom.   Although they have different titles in the popup menu they are both the same document "except" the first one listed is in English and the 2nd one listed is in Thai.   That 2nd one is titled Report to Immigration Bureau which is probably what that #10 document is.....but take along the English version also.  

These documents are the all important Endorsement Letter....one in Thai and one in English....the foundation your LTR visa house was built on.  Save them to your computer....print them out and store them in a safe place....you never know if they will still be online in the future if you get locked out of your acct, the LTR server gets run over by a truck, etc.  Yeap....important LTR docs they are.

image.png.f1f4ff8d9e47a2c0ddee9c2e7cf71b24.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pib said:

Log onto your LTR acct, click Check Status, under the Status column click on Print and a window will pop up offering two documents...each document is a one page memo with a one page attachment.  See snapshot at bottom.   Although they have different titles in the popup menu they are both the same document "except" the first one listed is in English and the 2nd one listed is in Thai.   That 2nd one is titled Report to Immigration Bureau which is probably what that #10 document is.....but take along the English version also.  

These documents are the all important Endorsement Letter....one in Thai and one in English....the foundation your LTR visa house was built on.  Save them to your computer....print them out and store them in a safe place....you never know if they will still be online in the future if you get locked out of your acct, the LTR server gets run over by a truck, etc.  Yeap....important LTR docs they are.

image.png.f1f4ff8d9e47a2c0ddee9c2e7cf71b24.png

Wow! Got it. Thanks.

My WGC visa was issued today by Los Angeles consulate. Processing time was 14 calendar days. I’m not sure how many business days that represents because of all the holiday days late July/early August this year and not knowing which ones they observe at the consulate. I think it was about 9-10 business days. 

No mention has been made about my existing non-O, which appears to also still be active and valid. Not that I’ll be using it again though!

• Like 2

I just got the mail stating my "qualifications for LTR have been endorsed". That's rather quick. I applied on August 18th with all required documents. Planning to fly to Thailand around August 20th.

I'm confused about in which order I am to do things as of now.

I am outside Thailand and I want the visa to be stamped in Bangkok. What I should do next is "choose the location for LTR issuance" (OSS Bangkok) on the LTR website. Should I do that right now OR after I've booked a flight to Thailand OR after I've landed in Thailand?

There's also the termination of my present visa (non-O) that goes hand in hand with a form bearing the rambling title "CRITERIA AND CONDITIONS ACKNOWLEDGEMENT FORM FOR PRE-APPROVAL PROCESS ...". At which point should I upload said form?  Right now OR after I've booked a flight to Thailand OR after I've landed in Thailand?

When I log in to my status page I don't see any button to "choose the location for LTR issuance". I only see "Please upload the remaining documents and update additional information in order to proceed with the visa issuance". Is that because I already chose the issuance in Bangkok right from the start of my application? I don't remember exactly what I did back then but I have a faint memory I was prompted for that choice already.

Edited by JackGats
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, JackGats said:

I just got the mail stating my "qualifications for LTR have been endorsed". That's rather quick. I applied on August 18th with all required documents. Planning to fly to Thailand around August 20th.

I'm confused about in which order I am to do things as of now.

I am outside Thailand and I want the visa to be stamped in Bangkok. What I should do next is "choose the location for LTR issuance" (OSS Bangkok) on the LTR website. Should I do that right now OR after I've booked a flight to Thailand OR after I've landed in Thailand?

There's also the termination of my present visa (non-O) that goes hand in hand with a form bearing the rambling title "CRITERIA AND CONDITIONS ACKNOWLEDGEMENT FORM FOR PRE-APPROVAL PROCESS ...". At which point should I upload said form?  Right now OR after I've booked a flight to Thailand OR after I've landed in Thailand?

When I log in to my status page I don't see any button to "choose the location for LTR issuance". I only see "Please upload the remaining documents and update additional information in order to proceed with the visa issuance". Is that because I already chose the issuance in Bangkok right from the start of my application? I don't remember exactly what I did back then but I have a faint memory I was prompted for that choice already.

August 18th is two weeks from now, so I think you are the first applicant to be approved in negative time!

As I recall, the email notifying you of endorsement has some fairly detailed instructions. I did mine as an eVisa so I didn’t have the same experience that you will have, but I don’t see how your airline ticket would figure into it at all. If I were you I’d try to get an appointment at the LTR immigration center in Bangkok and then plan your travel around that. (As a data point, even for the eVisa route I was not asked for any airline or hotel reservation info, unlike when applying for the non-O I had most recently.)

Also keep the 60 day limit in mind, as that timer has now started ticking. From what you described of your plans it’s unlikely to be an issue for you but still something to pay attention to. 

I can’t help at all with the cancellation of the existing non-O. My experience was that it may not even need to be cancelled, but presumably if you are inside Thailand, you will have entered on it and thus part of the “cancellation” is about switching you over to the LTR while you’re already in-country. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tai4de2 said:

August 18th is two weeks from now, so I think you are the first applicant to be approved in negative time!

As I recall, the email notifying you of endorsement has some fairly detailed instructions. I did mine as an eVisa so I didn’t have the same experience that you will have, but I don’t see how your airline ticket would figure into it at all. If I were you I’d try to get an appointment at the LTR immigration center in Bangkok and then plan your travel around that. (As a data point, even for the eVisa route I was not asked for any airline or hotel reservation info, unlike when applying for the non-O I had most recently.)

Also keep the 60 day limit in mind, as that timer has now started ticking. From what you described of your plans it’s unlikely to be an issue for you but still something to pay attention to. 

I can’t help at all with the cancellation of the existing non-O. My experience was that it may not even need to be cancelled, but presumably if you are inside Thailand, you will have entered on it and thus part of the “cancellation” is about switching you over to the LTR while you’re already in-country. 

Indeed that was July 18th not August 18th!

To make a sort of update on the issue it seems that this visa is subject to prior formalités with the thai BOI and if approved, one can only then file for the LTR.

Second, it seems that this visa says 10 years but that seems actually a 5 year visa that is granted and once expired, it can be extended  for 5 more years, hence the 10 year mention.

So technically speaking the LTR seems actually an extendable 5 yr visa ?

Please correct me as I am surely missing out a lot here.

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is a 10 year visa which is broken into two 5 year segments.  Near the end of the 5th year the LTR holder will need to provide the BOI with the same type of paperwork provided when they were first approved to verify they still comply with the regulations.  After that is done and they are then re-approved the second 5 year permission to stay will be stamped into the Passports.  The 10 years was paid up front and no further fees are due at the end of the 5th year. 10 years for 50k Thb 

Great, thanks for the extra info, it's much more clear now then what published on the official websites.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pib said:

Yes, the LTR visa is a 5 + 5 visa = 10 year visa.  When approved you pay Bt50K for a 10 year LTR visa and a 5 year permit to stay/multi entry permit is granted.  Note: Same for the Elite visa....even though you might buy a 20 year Elite visa it's only issued in 5 year increments which is the max increment immigration will issue....when that 5 years is almost up you submit a request to the Elite Visa Company for another 5 years and it's issued.   

Summary: immigration only issues out a maximum 5 year permit to stay even though the visa is issued for a long term like 10 years for LTR visa, 5 to 20 years for an Elite visa. 

Back to the LTR visa.  Just before the 1st 5 years expires you apply for the 2nd 5 years which is basically confirming you still meet the LTR requirements for income, health insurance, etc. Assuming you still meet the requirements the 2nd 5 years of the 10 year LTR visa is issued "fee-free" as the initial Bt50K fee also covered the mid term extension/2nd 5 years.

Thanks for the information.

On 8/4/2023 at 9:14 PM, Pib said:

Yes, the LTR visa is a 5 + 5 visa = 10 year visa.  When approved you pay Bt50K for a 10 year LTR visa and a 5 year permit to stay/multi entry permit is granted.  Note: Same for the Elite visa....even though you might buy a 20 year Elite visa it's only issued in 5 year increments which is the max increment immigration will issue....when that 5 years is almost up you submit a request to the Elite Visa Company for another 5 years and it's issued.   

Summary: immigration only issues out a maximum 5 year permit to stay even though the visa is issued for a long term like 10 years for LTR visa, 5 to 20 years for an Elite visa. 

Back to the LTR visa.  Just before the 1st 5 years expires you apply for the 2nd 5 years which is basically confirming you still meet the LTR requirements for income, health insurance, etc. Assuming you still meet the requirements the 2nd 5 years of the 10 year LTR visa is issued "fee-free" as the initial Bt50K fee also covered the mid term extension/2nd 5 years.

Two questions:

1. For example, if you are granted the 10 year visa on 1 Jan 2023, but you enter Thailand on 1 April 2023, will the 5 year permit is from 1 Jan 2023 to 1 Jan 2028 or from 1 April 2023 to 1 April 2028? 

2. Unlike Elite visa, if at the end of the first 5 year permit, you can not qualify for LTR, for example, laid off or salary reduction, etc. will the second 5 year permit still be granted? if not, will BOI refund the visa fee? Since you paid 10 year visa fee at the first stage.  

1 hour ago, JJJJJJJJ said:

Two questions:

1. For example, if you are granted the 10 year visa on 1 Jan 2023, but you enter Thailand on 1 April 2023, will the 5 year permit is from 1 Jan 2023 to 1 Jan 2028 or from 1 April 2023 to 1 April 2028? 

2. Unlike Elite visa, if at the end of the first 5 year permit, you can not qualify for LTR, for example, laid off or salary reduction, etc. will the second 5 year permit still be granted? if not, will BOI refund the visa fee? Since you paid 10 year visa fee at the first stage.  

#1 This is a little unclear to me. Read my next post about transferring my LTR to a new passport 

#2 Just a guess but I wouldn’t expect a refund.

LTR transfer experience 

I transferred my pensioner LTR to a new passport - my experience 

For the Americans out there - I sent in my old passport to the American embassy in Bangkok in June 2023. I sent it from Sisaket province. It was returned to Sisaket province 4 weeks and 3 days later.

I got my original LTR stamped into my passport on 4 January, 2023.

Today I arrived at the BOI office on the 18th floor at Chimchuri Square, when the office opened at 8:30am. 

I gave them 

• My old & new passports 
  • My form to transfer my visa to a new passport 
  • My BOI LTR endorsement letter 

The BOI asked me for the new passport linkage letter. I told them that the American embassy doesn’t provide those anymore. That apparently was acceptable.

The BOI made all the required copies of pages in my passports. They then gave me the package of documents and an immigration queue number 

Across the hall, at Immigration section E, I waited 30 minutes to turn in my documents. They were returned to me 1 hr 10 minutes later. I checked my stamps and also went back to the BOI office to ask if I had all the proper stamps.

A total of 2 hrs and all went smoothly.

My stamps

• Two stamps showing that I arrived in Thailand in 2017 on an OA visa
  • Another showing I got my LTR in January with an initial permission to stay until 2024, the date my previous passport expired.
  • The next stamp is my LTR  visa until December 2032. That appears to be the date the visa was approved. I didn’t come in to get the stamp in my passport until the next month, January, 2023.
  • Another page of permission to stay stamps 2024 and 2028
  • Next and final page is a permission to stay stamp from 7 Aug (today) until 4 Jan, 2028

I’m not sure what is going on with the Dec and Jan dates. When I get close to those dates I will ask some questions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JJJJJJJJ said:

Re 2 definitely no

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, K2938 said:

Re 2 definitely no

Agree 100% that no refund will be forthcoming as they issued the 5+5 year 10 year LTR in good faith that one would still qualify at the renewal time for the second 5 years.  For the Wealthy Pensioner category and the Wealthy Global Citizen, there should be no problems qualifying again at renewal times as most on Pensions or with money in the bank should not have any issues unless the banking industry collapses worldwide.

• Like 1

Here's a question I recently asked LTR BoI:

I have an LTR-P visa, issued in July, and for future planning purposes,
was wondering whether or not I would have to go to BoI/OSS to get my new
five year permission of stay stamp in July 2028? I'm sure most of the
re-authorization information could be provided online, as was the
original application. But having to travel from Chiang Mai to Bangkok is
becoming more difficult as I age. So, just hoping, after you issue me a
new five year qualification endorsement, that I can take this to my
Chiang Mai Immigration office for the new five year stamp.....?

Or, if not, could I have an agent do it for me at BoI/OSS?

Oh, speaking of agents: When my passport expires in six years, I note
that I need to get the transfer LTR Visa stamp applied at OSS
Immigration? Much can change between now and then, I'm sure -- but if
not, can I get an agent to do this for me?

Here's the prompt email response I received:

Currently, our LTR Visa office is located in Bangkok, and for visa extensions, you will need to visit our office in person once your extension has been approved. The in-person visit is required as the Immigration authorities will need to take a current photograph of you.

However, for visa transfer, you can have a representative do it on your behalf, so you don't have to be present in person for this process.

In case you need to transfer a LTR Visa to a new passport, you must apply to have your LTR Visa transferred at the Immigration at One Stop Service Center for Visa and Work Permit (OSS).

So, I can hire an agent to go to OSS to do the stamp transfers when my old passport is replaced with a new one; but I can't hire an agent to get my new five year permission stamp, 'cause Immigration needs me there, in person, to take a picture....

But why, as they say, do I need to go to Imm/OSS to get my second five year visa permission? Certainly, if they need a picture, this could be done at my home Chiang Mai Imm office. And, certainly, CM Imm has one of those square admit/until stamps, whereas they might not have the LTR Visa stamp that Imm/OSS has -- necessitating going to Bangkok to get that LTR Visa stamp transferred to a new passport.

So, when BoI re-authorizes my second five year stay, and issues a qualification endorsement -- flashing this endorsement to any Imm officer with a square permission of stay stamp should suffice. Heck, all the folks with LTR Evisas or stickers issued at Embassies never had to visit BoI/Imm OSS; they got their five year "until" stamp at the airport. And what if I'm out of Thailand when I have to get my new qualification endorsement from BoI? Can't I just, then, flash this endorsement at the airport, when I re-enter, and get my new five year stamp there, akin to what the Evisa and sticker folks did....?

Anyway, this will all sort out in the several years we have to do it in.

9 hours ago, JimGant said:

Here's a question I recently asked LTR BoI:

Here's the prompt email response I received:

So, I can hire an agent to go to OSS to do the stamp transfers when my old passport is replaced with a new one; but I can't hire an agent to get my new five year permission stamp, 'cause Immigration needs me there, in person, to take a picture....

But why, as they say, do I need to go to Imm/OSS to get my second five year visa permission? Certainly, if they need a picture, this could be done at my home Chiang Mai Imm office. And, certainly, CM Imm has one of those square admit/until stamps, whereas they might not have the LTR Visa stamp that Imm/OSS has -- necessitating going to Bangkok to get that LTR Visa stamp transferred to a new passport.

So, when BoI re-authorizes my second five year stay, and issues a qualification endorsement -- flashing this endorsement to any Imm officer with a square permission of stay stamp should suffice. Heck, all the folks with LTR Evisas or stickers issued at Embassies never had to visit BoI/Imm OSS; they got their five year "until" stamp at the airport. And what if I'm out of Thailand when I have to get my new qualification endorsement from BoI? Can't I just, then, flash this endorsement at the airport, when I re-enter, and get my new five year stamp there, akin to what the Evisa and sticker folks did....?

Anyway, this will all sort out in the several years we have to do it in.

Five years is a long way off. I doubt the BOI knows what the procedure will be. They are just quoting today’s procedures.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/7/2023 at 2:14 PM, MPoll said:

Two stamps showing that I arrived in Thailand in 2017 on an OA visa

I see a potential issue there: if for any reason we lose our LTR visa they might reverse to the OA rules, hence the need for a "worthless Thai health insurance"...

Ok, ok, clearly sinking too much.

Edited by Ben Zioner

59 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

I see a potential issue there: if for any reason we lose our LTR visa they might reverse to the OA rules, hence the need for a "worthless Thai health insurance"...

That would be logical and fair. I’m not sure how we would lose the LTR but going back to your previous visa makes sense. Note that the OA was the only visa I’ve had in Thailand.

Also the LTR has an insurance requirement. The insurance I used for my OA qualified me for the LTR. As for the Thai insurance being worthless - I purchased my Thai insurance 10 million baht policy in 2018 before there was an OA insurance requirement. It costs me less than my previous US insurance.

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

You would obviously need to revert to a New Visa so (currently) could get the Non-IMM O which (currently) doesn't require Health Insurance. 

For me one of the downsides in swapping my Non-IMM O Visa for a longer term Visa (& this is more the Thailand Elite than LTR)  is I would give up any Grandfathering rights that might apply to existing Non-IMM O Holders...

E.g. If somebody was 50 & they lost the LTR at 55 & during that time Thailand raised the Retirement Visa age to 60, they would be screwed... Whereas if they were on continuous Non-IMM O Extensions during those 5 years there is a high probability they would be "Grandfathered" in and  allowed to keep extending that

Visa. 

A lot of "If, Buts & Maybes" but just the thought process I've been going through when trying to decide whether to get a 20 year Thailand Elite Visa (I won't qualify for the LTR for a couple of years as I'm too young to draw my pension). 

• Thumbs Up 1