Death penalty concerns delay Thailand extradition for man held 1,200 days in Canada custody

webfact

image.jpeg

In this file image, people line up to be screened to enter the British Columbia Supreme Court in Vancouver, B.C. on Monday, Sept. 30, 2013. (Jonathan Hayward / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

by Andrew Weichel

CTVNews Vancouver.ca Reporter and Senior Producer

A man wanted for murder in Thailand has asked to be released from custody as Canadian officials seek assurances he wouldn't face the death penalty if extradited – a process that has already dragged on for nearly two years.

The case, which was heard last month in B.C. Supreme Court, highlights the constitutional obligations and sensitive diplomacy involved in Canada's extradition system.

The accused – who is named Mzwake Memela, but goes by Prince Michael Obi – was arrested after arriving in Canada in 2019, and according to his lawyer has been in the North Fraser Pretrial Centre for about 1,200 days.

Twice Obi has asked to be discharged, first in 2021 then again in 2022, arguing the government lacks the "sufficient cause" required under the Extradition Act to keep him detained, but both times his applications have been dismissed.

During Obi's latest attempt, Justice Heather MacNaughton reiterated his prolonged detention has been the result of the Department of Justice's ongoing work to ensure he doesn’t face capital punishment – something she noted officials are "constitutionally required to do" before transferring his custody, and is "for Mr. Obi's benefit."

Obi is accused in the murder of Susama Ruenrit, a woman who was found dead by asphyxiation in a Bangkok hotel room in March 2019. There are 35 crimes punishable by capital punishment in Thailand, murder among them.

Full story: https://bc.ctvnews.ca/death-penalty-concerns-delay-thailand-extradition-for-man-held-1-200-days-in-b-c-custody-1.5980115

image.jpeg

-- © Copyright  CTV NEWS VANCOUVER 2022-07-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

So let me get this straight. This POS murders someone in cold blood, calculatedly with malice, murdered, a woman no less, run away after murdering someone to avoid paying for his sickening crime, and then is helped to avoid the laws of the country you murdered someone in by the government of another country. And people are all surprised, incredulous, and peed off that our world is in the state its in ... Blimey!!!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I can't stand people who swallow everything they are told, that said, I would invite this intellectual woke man into my house anytime, as apart from those who sleep all day believing the BS that is put on their plate on a daily basis.

Oh Please ????

• Like 1

This piece of dirt should have been sent back to Thailand months ago.

The fact that he is trying to go free in Canada, shows this. He should go back to Thailand

even though the death penalty still exists in the country, after all he did murder someone.

15 hours ago, Purdey said:

Thanks. The link was in Italian but I found the English version eventually. It doesn't list 35 offences unfortunately. In general, anything that results in death seems to be the norm.

The main text was in English on my lappy.... 

On 7/11/2022 at 9:26 AM, Tropposurfer said:

So let me get this straight. This POS murders someone in cold blood, calculatedly with malice, murdered, a woman no less, run away after murdering someone to avoid paying for his sickening crime, and then is helped to avoid the laws of the country you murdered someone in by the government of another country. And people are all surprised, incredulous, and peed off that our world is in the state its in ... Blimey!!!

NO murderers should go free of punishment, because Thailand have the death penalty. Other countries should respect, that some countries still have the death penalty and that this could be for a good reason. 

Edited by Xonax