Thai IQ pretty average compared to its neighbors

FYI - A bit of fun fact. According to World Population Review 2022 the IQ results for Thailand and its immediate neighbors as follows:

5 country rank - Country         -World ranking - IQ score

1                Cambodia                 15                 99.75

2                Myanmar                 52                 91.18

3                Thailand                   64                 88.87

4                Malaysia                   73                 87.58

5                Laos                          114                80.99

Must say quite impressed with Cambodia, and Myanmar not so bad either. Citizens of those countries working as migrant laborers and being treated as sub-human by the Thais or even Malaysians can take comfort in knowing that at least they are smarter than them. May be worth posting this in our company lunch room that is made up of 70% migrant workers from Myanmar and Cambodia (Just for laughs). Laos was way off, wonder why. Is it the Isaan influence or may be the other way around? Just kidding, my wife is from Isaan but can't wait to tease her with these numbers when I get home!!! How they come up with these stats is an interesting yet separate topic.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, I went and checked to see who the top 10 countries were.  Interesting that the top 6 are all in Asia.

Top 10 Countries with the Highest Average IQ - Ulster Institute 2019:*

1. Japan - 106.49

2. Taiwan - 106.47

3. Singapore - 105.89

4. Hong Kong (China) - 105.37

5. China - 104.10

6. South Korea - 102.35

7. Belarus - 101.60

8. Finland - 101.20

9. Liechtenstein - 101.07

10.Netherlands & Germany (tie) - 100.74

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/average-iq-by-country

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Out of curiosity, I went and checked to see who the top 10 countries were.  Interesting that the top 6 are all in Asia.

1. Japan - 106.49

2. Taiwan - 106.47

3. Singapore - 105.89

5. China - 104.10

6. South Korea - 102.35

7. Belarus - 101.60

8. Finland - 101.20

It surely is interesting. Strict education in schools and also not having big remote and rural population may have something to do with it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

1. Japan - 106.49

2. Taiwan - 106.47

3. Singapore - 105.89

5. China - 104.10

6. South Korea - 102.35

7. Belarus - 101.60

8. Finland - 101.20

Maybe the Japanese did the survey

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

1. Japan - 106.49

2. Taiwan - 106.47

3. Singapore - 105.89

5. China - 104.10

6. South Korea - 102.35

7. Belarus - 101.60

8. Finland - 101.20

have to disagree with Ulster  institute 2019, placing China and Hong Kong on the top 10 is misleading, lived and worked with both of their professional people, their IQ is much less then 100 really much much less, I don't know which topics were tested by the Ulster, but geography, history, logic, common sense, etc..... are not China and/or Hong Kong average knowledge

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Hammerite said:

Knowledge as such is not measured by OQ. It is supposed to measure underlying intelligence and to factor out the effects of education completely. Many critics say the tests are culturally biased which is why some cultures end up with lower scores. 

And yes I do have a degree in experimental psychology ????

Haven't culturally compatible tests been devised and the results much the same? 

4 hours ago, Hammerite said:

Knowledge as such is not measured by OQ. It is supposed to measure underlying intelligence and to factor out the effects of education completely. Many critics say the tests are culturally biased which is why some cultures end up with lower scores. 

And yes I do have a degree in experimental psychology ????

I did a couple years of Sigmund Freud but it was about theory and social influence of psychology, now I am lost with the definitions applied vs. experimental psychology but the thread is not about that

Edited by Mavideol

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And now we rank the cutest girls in the world.

Thailand is clearly #1.

Who cares if the IQ is a little lower? Let's concentrate on the important things in life! 

If Females are the only thing that interests males , that kind of shows their limited intelligence 

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If Females are the only thing that interests males , that kind of shows their limited intelligence 

everybody likes a different type of tea, nothing to do with inteligence

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Maybe so, but if the only thing that interests you in life are the opposite sex, that suggests a lack of intelligence 

please explain your reasoning .... I seek company of the opposite sex for different reasons, not for the one I think you are referring too, some people from the opposite sex can be challenging/interesting what that has to do with lack of intelligence?

5 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

It surely is interesting. Strict education in schools and also not having big remote and rural population may have something to do with it. 

As might natural genetics. 

16 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I know a guy who has 4 girlfriends at the same time. Serious lady’s man. This is been going on for years and none the women know about the other. Now that requires a great deal of intelligence to pull off. Don’t you think?????????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

I know a guy who has 4 girlfriends at the same time. Serious lady’s man. This is been going on for years and none the women know about the other. Now that requires a great deal of intelligence to pull off. Don’t you think?????????????

So that's the definition of intelligence?  Being a master manipulator and convincing liar?  That and no conscience....5555  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

So that's the definition of intelligence?  Being a master manipulator and convincing liar?  That and no conscience....5555  

Well my friend google’s definition is:

1a(1) : the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations : reason also : the skilled use of reason.

(2) : the ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment or to think abstractly as measured by objective criteria (such as tests)

so yeah a master manipulator fits the definition I guess. As to a liar I suppose it takes some intelligence to convince others of one’s lies. 

I think you’re confusing intelligence with morals. Just about all Bond villains can be regarded as highly intelligent yet always up to no good. Right?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

Must say quite impressed with Cambodia,

On my few visits there I found the kids to be amazingly intelligent with an apparent gift for languages. Walking along the Phnom Penh river front a 10 year old vendor of trinkets approached me to sell something. Her English was excellent and I asked her where she learnt. She said tourists taught her and she wrote down anything new she heard. After an interesting chat ( with a 10 year old for heavens sake ! )  I was ready to move on and tried to give her a little money to encourage her in her studies . 

Refused point blank to sell it and shamed me a bit by telling me she was not a beggar  ! So , I bought one of her wooden armband trinkets , accepted the change and off she went.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

Well my friend google’s definition is:

1a(1) : the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations : reason also : the skilled use of reason.

(2) : the ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment or to think abstractly as measured by objective criteria (such as tests)

so yeah a master manipulator fits the definition I guess. As to a liar I suppose it takes some intelligence to convince others of one’s lies. 

I think you’re confusing intelligence with morals. Just about all Bond villains can be regarded as highly intelligent yet always up to no good. Right?

I didn't necessarily disagree with you.  One can argue that narcissists and psychopaths are generally more intelligent than the population at large.  But they also lack conscience, remorse, or shame.  So when choosing a female companion, for example, perhaps it's better to choose one not so intelligent?  Just sayin.... 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Henryford said:
47 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Worked OK for Boris Johnson.

Same with Donald Trump.  But does that equate to superior intelligence?  Smart in some ways, but not in others.

The magic formula has NEVER been found. Relationships work for a variety of reasons, whose to say what is wrong or right for that person except the person themselves. Each to his own, thats why they are "special" when you get it right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wonder where Viet Nam is in that ranking ?

I thought they are the highest IQ in the developing region ignoring Singapore (developed) ?

Anyway, my money is in Vietnam over next 20 years from these developing  nations.. they are going pull in the tourists and manufacturing from Thailand like nobodies business meanwhile dancing pony gov.t policy makers go round in circles daily - as they seem to be not "samart".

• Like 2

21 hours ago, proton said:

Haven't culturally compatible tests been devised and the results much the same? 

Back in the 70's/80's the government paid a few million to the University of Minnesota (Mecca of psy testing) to develop an IQ test that all ethnicities scored equal on. After three years they (quietly) gave up.  Regardless of the design, it always came up Asian, white, hispanic, black.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DavidAlexander said:

Back in the 70's/80's the government paid a few million to the University of Minnesota (Mecca of psy testing) to develop an IQ test that all ethnicities scored equal on. After three years they (quietly) gave up.  Regardless of the design, it always came up Asian, white, hispanic, black.

True, but people have been cancelled for pointing out the relationship of DNA to intelligence.

2 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

great deal of intelligence from whom the guy or the girls  555

1 hour ago, Denim said:

... Walking along the Phnom Penh river front a 10 year old vendor of trinkets approached me to sell something. Her English was excellent and I asked her where she learnt. She said tourists taught her and she wrote down anything new she heard. After an interesting chat ( with a 10 year old for heavens sake ! ) ...

I made the same experience in Siem Reap 10 years ago with a little boy about 7 years old.... his English was amazing while my 16 years old nephew can't barely speak English while going to a very expensive private school with extra English lessons....