French tourist’s body found after drowning near Koh Chang’s Lonely Beach

webfact

image.jpeg

PHOTO: MGRONLINE

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Koh Chang, Trat – A French tourist’s body was found this morning, July 11th, after drowning and going missing for a day near Koh Chang’s Lonely Beach in the Trat province.

Koh Chang District Chief Mr. Sirisak Phadungchok revealed that he and twenty other rescuers resumed a search for Mr. Ramkurrun (last name withheld), a 22-year-old French tourist who went missing after swimming in a stormy sea with another Spanish tourist Ms. Canellas, whose body was already discovered yesterday, July 10th.

The search began at 7:30 AM and lasted for two hours before the second victim’s body was found around 40 meters from the Lonely Beach, Sirisak said.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/07/11/update-french-tourists-body-found-after-drowning-near-koh-changs-lonely-beach/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-07-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Sad 2

28 minutes ago, webfact said:

22-year-old French tourist who went missing after swimming in a stormy sea with another Spanish tourist Ms

Sad story. 

I read they had been drinking, enjoying themselves, then going for a swim, something I've done a hundred times. 

In Australia we're aware of the dangers of the surf, if you are caught in a rip, undercurrent you can be taken out to sea, hundreds of meters. 

It's happened to me, I was lucky, I swam with the rip and found a guy on a surf board, waiting for a wave, he paddled me back to shore, probably saving my life, I was exhausted. 

It was a long walk along the beach to find my gf. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

In Australia we're aware of the dangers of the surf, if you are caught in a rip, undercurrent you can be taken out to sea, hundreds of meters. 

Going out in those conditions without fins was a mistake. The girl was found 300 meters South. Not all rips are outbound. This was as I suspected a side rip along the shore. Either from tidal current or waves hitting a point at an angle and water forced along shore.Then at the other point the water is outbound. In any case, as you did, just go for a ride and get picked up later.These two most likely started struggling as they lost control of their position. 

Edited by morrobay

8 minutes ago, morrobay said:

These two most likely started struggling as they lost control of their position. 

This is a common condition when caught in a rip, struggling etc.

We lose alot of tourists in Australia from people panicking. More education is needed, teach the unaware how to manage their safety if they get caught out. 

I was very lucky being Australian, we get taught how to swim also how to deal with the oceans hazards at a young age. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I was very lucky being Australian, we get taught how to swim also how to deal with the oceans hazards at a young age. 

Right you certainly don't read about any Californians or Australians drowning in Thailand. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, morrobay said:

Right you certainly don't read about any Californians or Australians drowning in Thailand. 

I'm an Aussie and am considered a 'waterman' in my home beach country and I can say without reservation that lots and lots (the vast majority) of Aussies while they can swim, cannot swim sufficiently well and understand beach water motions well enough to not drown if caught in a strong and persistent rip.

I've been part of teams that have saved many people as a volunteer lifeguard in my days on patrols from Manly Beach NSW to Burleigh Heads Qld.

• Thanks 1

I'm an Aussie and am considered a 'waterman' in my home beach country and I can say without reservation that lots and lots (the majority) of Aussies while they can swim, cannot swim sufficiently well and understand beach water motions well enough to not drown if caught in a strong and persistent rip.

Hundred of locals Aussies are rescued each year in OZ.

I've been part of teams that have saved many people as a volunteer lifeguard in my days on patrols from Manly Beach NSW to Burleigh Heads Qld so I got some cred. on this subject.

• Drinking, or other drugging and swimming is ALWAYS a very BAD idea - even in a pool!
  • Don't swim after eating a meal - wait for it to digest
  • Swimming and diving under waves and being comfortable with turbulence and 'hold-downs' by churning water is an art to learn
  • if you come from European 'still-water swimming' then open beaches with running swell are NOTHING LIKE what you are used to and will kill you quickly - like these two unfortunate fellas.
  • Unless you are a very strong swimmer AND know powerful surf - even a very strong surf experienced swimmer is best not to enter rough high wave water alone or without a floatation device
  • Lifeguards only do this sort of water entry to rescue and to train in with lots of safety support when they do so average joe should not
  • If there is no adequate lifesaver rescue service on the beach and a swell is running DO NOT enter the water.
  • Swim between the flags!!!!!
  • NEVER dive into any water unless you know where the bottom is and are sure of no shallow banks or objects underwater. - Remember beach contours change all the time especially; when swells are running so one day the water can be 4 ft deep 3 feet from the shore the next day it can be 18 inches deep!
  • Swim safe and smart ????????
  • I always go to the lifeguards and say hi and ask about conditions and let then know where  i will enter the water - if warned not to I don't go in.
  • If a strong swell (for me above 5ft - depending on beach type also) I have a swim floatation device e.g. personal floatie with harness, or maybe my surfboard.
  • Flippers are good but won't save you from drowning should you become exhausted. 
  • Swim smart and swim safe ????????
  • If you are a poor swimmer and like to swim - get lessons, train, and develop your skillsets
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Sad story. 

I read they had been drinking, enjoying themselves, then going for a swim, something I've done a hundred times. 

It's happened to me, I was lucky, I swam with the rip and found a guy on a surf board, waiting for a wave, he paddled me back to shore, probably saving my life, I was exhausted. 

Many people every year drown on Koh Chang in bad weather conditions, but never heard of an OZ, mostly Thais or people from Mediterranean countries. just standing knee high you can feel the currents/rips but sadly people lack this basic knowledge.

On 7/12/2022 at 3:42 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Was she looking for you too, or still working on the tan ? ????

Like tropposurfer I’ve spent a lot of time in the saltwater and yes it takes a lot of experience to be completely comfortable in the ocean

still surf but these days when I beach swim I always wear some swim fins it’s good insurance