Half of GOP Voters Ready to Leave Trump Behind, Poll Finds

Scott

On 7/17/2022 at 11:32 AM, ozimoron said:

The expanded use of drop boxes for mailed ballots during the 2020 election did not lead to any widespread problems, according to an Associated Press survey of state election officials across the U.S. that revealed no cases of fraud, vandalism or theft that could have affected the results.

The findings from both Republican- and Democratic-controlled states run contrary to claims made by former President Donald Trump and his allies who have intensely criticized their use and falsely claimed they were a target for fraud.

Yet conspiracy theories and efforts by Republicans to eliminate or restrict them since the 2020 election persist.

https://apnews.com/article/voting-rights-2022-midterm-elections-covid-health-wisconsin-c61fa93a12a1a51d6d9f4e0a21fa3b75

Personally, I think these new restrictions are going to impact non-ethnic voters just as severely.  In the liberal-leaning news outlets in the US the restrictions are deemed racist, anti-Black, etc.  But there are going to be a lot of white people, especially in rural areas, who, when they go to vote and are faced with all the hoops they have to jump through ("what? I gotta drive 40 miles to vote?  And how many ID cards did they say I need?") are going to say "screw this" and stay home and drink beer and watch Wheel of Fortune.  Making it harder for ex-felons to vote is going to affect a lot of white people as well.  In the Black communities there is a lot of awareness of the voter suppression aimed against them (hey there, Stacey!) and hopefully it will be energizing.  

So yeah, I see all these difficulties in the voting process put up by the GOP as potentially shooting themselves in the foot.

I can't find this on the net, maybe need better search criteria, but in 1988, when GHW Bush was running for president, they put together an event where they filled up a stadium of Green Card holders (mostly Mexicans) where they all took the oath of citizenship, presided over by Poppy himself; this was in the southwest somewhere, and I think he was accompanied by Schwarzenegger (who was not yet a politician -- GHW had a few action movie stars in his campaign entourage that year).  ALSO the new citizens were given voter registration forms, and we can guess what party they were encouraged to choose.  Boy, how things have changed!

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, bendejo said:

GHW had a few action movie stars in his campaign entourage that year).  ALSO the new citizens were given voter registration forms, and we can guess what party they were encouraged to choose.  Boy, how things have changed!

The GOP adopted the Southern Strategy under his son.

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's much worse than that..

I am certain that if he runs and if then indicted that he will intentionally rile up his far right wing white nationalist militia groups to "protest" at the courts such as in Atlanta similarly to his criminal activities related to the January 6 coup attempt.

He will then literally have nothing to lose and he doesn't care if he brings down America with his own sinking ship.

It was never really America first with him. It has always been Trump First, Last, and Always. 

Expanding on this.

Yes there will definitely be Trump cult member violence if Trump is indicted.

Walsh doesn't think he will be. I think he will, particularly in Georgia.

But he brings up a worst case scenario. Indictment without being found guilty.

But Walsh ignores the risk of not indicting him which is very real as well. 

Expect 'Major Violence' if Donald Trump Indicted, Joe Walsh Warns (newsweek.com)

Former 2020 Republican presidential candidate Joe Walsh recently said that he thinks that Donald Trump's most radicalized supporters would likely turn violent if the former president is indicted following the January 6 hearings.

"There is a percentage of Trump's followers who would become violent," Walsh, once a supporter and now a vocal critic of the former president, said in a lengthy conversation with Salon.

• Confused 1

On 7/13/2022 at 4:22 PM, Iamfalang said:

- poll finds.  

In 2022, even the sheep know these "polls" are soo worthless.   This literally has as much credibility as : 

- Big Foot declares

- Swamp Man says

The why does the sheep post about it every time there's a poll reflecting negatively on President Biden?

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well I think we can safely assume former Senator Simpson is in that half.

A must watch and on Fox yet.

Stop the Squeal! 

Sorry, I only watch Gutfeld.

• Sad 1

On 7/17/2022 at 4:56 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

That means more than half still support a lying traitor who is also incompetent, thinks he is super smart, and and and.

Really?

Are that the qualities which you want for the American president, the most powerful person in this world?

I understand that people also don't like Biden and many other politicians. So how about voting (in the primaries and later) for someone who at least tries to be honest? How about someone who knows his limitations and doesn't think he knows everything? And how about someone who tries to unite the people in the country? Or is that too much to ask?

Not more than half.  It's still less than half but under the US Presidential electoral college system you only have to win certain states to gain enough electoral college votes (270) to win.  

Honesty?  Not going to happen.

Unfortunately it's too much to ask.  

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well I think we can safely assume former Senator Simpson is in that half.

I'll always remember Simpson as one of those GOP warriors who kicked Anita Hill's _ss at the Clarence Thomas hearings.  Beating up on a woman on her own appearing before a congressional committee takes true grit, something I probably couldn't do.  He even threw in a fart joke during the session. A real class act. Backwards to the future, a true conservative; maybe things will go backward enough so that his ranch is given back to the indigenous people of Wyoming, or how about going back even further so that there is no Wyoming?

If he lives long enough and Clarence's threats become real he can visit The Thomases in prison for violating the revised laws against inter-racial marriage.

Edited by bendejo

On 7/18/2022 at 2:05 PM, Jingthing said:

Yes there will definitely be Trump cult member violence if Trump is indicted.

I've been trying to visualize what that would look like.  I also sense that the way DT abandoned all those 1/6 patriots has caused bitterness in the ranks.

For strictly entertainment purposes check out the series Homeland, season 7 episode 4. 

For something less fictional:

The vigilantes running wildfire checkpoints in Oregon are the latest right-wing militants to take advantage of a crisis.

and this one:

The True Story of the Antifa Invasion of Forks, Washington

If the various Federal enforcement services buy into it there will be no good for any citizen of any political polarity.  Except those running the show.  And do bear in mind most of the things that come out of the mouths of the MAGA patriots are ridiculous, so they really don't know what the hell they'd be fighting for, just listen to the personal interviews done outside of DT events.

4 minutes ago, bendejo said:

I've been trying to visualize what that would look like.  I also sense that the way DT abandoned all those 1/6 patriots has caused bitterness in the ranks.

For strictly entertainment purposes check out the series Homeland, season 7 episode 4. 

For something less fictional:

The vigilantes running wildfire checkpoints in Oregon are the latest right-wing militants to take advantage of a crisis.

and this one:

The True Story of the Antifa Invasion of Forks, Washington

If the various Federal enforcement services buy into it there will be no good for any citizen of any political polarity.  Except those running the show.  And do bear in mind most of the things that come out of the mouths of the MAGA patriots are ridiculous, so they really don't know what the hell they'd be fighting for, just listen to the personal interviews done outside of DT events.

It might look like January 6th. Obviously I don't know exactly. If it's in Atlanta, that seems an especially rich venue for the white nationalist warriors. A heavily black very blue great big city smack in the middle of tres rouge Georgia.

Of course a huge mess which all could have been avoided if the trump had simply conceded his defeat like every other losing presidential candidate in history. Indicting and convicting him could spark a civil war and also not indicting him could spark a civil war as well. For example, he gets nominated, loses again ... because as we all know, he can't ever lose. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 7/19/2022 at 1:25 PM, Phoenix Rising said:

The why does the sheep post about it every time there's a poll reflecting negatively on President Biden?

As Oz politicians always say during an election....the only poll that means anything is the one on polling day to elect a government...my guess is that applies to America as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Evidence on the ground shows that this OP is more wishful thinking than reality. News that Liz Cheney, the RINO's darling, just got utterly trounced in the Wyoming Republican primary to patriot and Trump supporter Harriet Hageman is more than welcome.

"

Trump called Cheney’s loss “a complete rebuke” of the House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol. Cheney is the panel’s vice chair.

“Liz Cheney should be ashamed of herself, the way she acted, and her spiteful, sanctimonious words and actions towards others,” he wrote on his social media platform. “Now she can finally disappear into the depths of political oblivion where, I am sure, she will be much happier than she is right now. Thank you WYOMING!”

https://www.oregonlive.com/nation/2022/08/liz-cheney-loses-wyoming-republican-primary-to-harriet-hageman.html

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Evidence on the ground shows that this OP is more wishful thinking than reality. News that Liz Cheney, the RINO's darling, just got utterly trounced in the Wyoming Republican primary to patriot and Trump supporter Harriet Hageman is more than welcome.

"

Trump called Cheney’s loss “a complete rebuke” of the House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol. Cheney is the panel’s vice chair.

“Liz Cheney should be ashamed of herself, the way she acted, and her spiteful, sanctimonious words and actions towards others,” he wrote on his social media platform. “Now she can finally disappear into the depths of political oblivion where, I am sure, she will be much happier than she is right now. Thank you WYOMING!”

https://www.oregonlive.com/nation/2022/08/liz-cheney-loses-wyoming-republican-primary-to-harriet-hageman.html

It seems we are once again seeing the difference between opinion polls, and elections.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Where is there that difference?

The topic of the thread suggests a poll shows voters are leaving Trump behind.

The election suggests anyone opposing Trump is being dropped by voters.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The topic of the thread suggests a poll shows voters are leaving Trump behind.

The election suggests anyone opposing Trump is being dropped by voters.

I thought you were referring to an opinion poll predicting the outcome of that election.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

"

You really think Wyoming sets the trend for the entire USA?  Seriously?  There's more people in DC than the entire state of Wyoming. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JonnyF said:

It seems we are once again seeing the difference between opinion polls, and elections.

It seems that once again, some people are understanding things wrongly. The opinion poll cited in this article was taken nationally. There actually were opinion polls also taken for this particular primary. Do you really need me to cite what those results showed? Here's the last one:

UW Survey Finds Hageman Leading Cheney in Wyoming GOP Primary

Wyoming Republican primary candidate Harriet Hageman is leading incumbent Liz Cheney by nearly 30 points in the primary race for Wyoming’s lone seat in the U.S. House of Representatives, according to a new survey by the University of Wyoming’s Wyoming Survey and Analysis Center (WYSAC).

The survey was conducted July 25-Aug. 6, yielding 562 responses from Wyoming residents identified as likely voters in the Aug. 16 Republican Party primary. The margin of error for the primary survey is plus or minus 4 percentage points.

https://www.uwyo.edu/uw/news/2022/08/uw-survey-finds-hageman-leading-cheney-in-wyoming-gop-primary.html

On 7/21/2022 at 6:20 AM, wombat said:

As Oz politicians always say during an election....the only poll that means anything is the one on polling day to elect a government...my guess is that applies to America as well.

Tell that to the right wingers posting on the thread about Biden's low numbers in the polls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1