Tourist levy hits further turbulence with fears it could harm airline’s effort to boost flight numbers

webfact

15 minutes ago, austhai said:

My question is for the foreigners living & working here, paying tax & super (some employing many locals & paying their tax & super) so free medical, also like myself with a good hospital insurance, doing a trip abroad, we shouldn't be charged a tourist fee at all. Maybe a bit difficult for tham to think about or separate.  

They thought about it at first, but then poopoed the Idea, because it would be to hard to figure it out not only on their end but the airlines as well.  If they were serious in wanting more money they would just raise the percentage of VAT they take from each ticket and leave it at that.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The fee will provide automatic insurance cover with 11.3% of the money from it going to pay for limited medical insurance coverage for visitors with a ceiling of ฿500,000 for 30 days

It's ACIDENT insurance and I doubt that, that will include any medication especially if its ongoing medication. I can see so many scenarios one being '' No we are not covering you as you were hit by a vehicle, so we are claiming from them'' 

Or knowing how some operate here they'll double dip.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Perfectly normal in Thailand, where someone comes up with an idea and shoots their mouth off without ever thinking the idea through. And typical Thai arrogance in believing that every airline that flies to the country will do as ordered by the government and spend their time processing and transmitting passenger info while in-flight. They have found resistance from the airlines - what a surprise. I'm waiting now for a government minister to threaten to ban any airline that doesn't comply. There's bound to be one, who hasn't thought through what that would mean to tourist numbers.

Remember the proposal a few years ago that all incoming tourists would be issued with a SIM card on arrival, so they could be tracked?

another well thought out scheme that disappeared into the ether. 

• Thanks 1