Repairs on a Rental House

We rent a house, recently the water pump started playing up, the owner come round, they changed it out for a second hand one which was no better. He reluctantly fitted a new one but asked if we would go 50/50 for the cost,  around 6000฿ nope it’s your property, The neighbour same owner has problems with the AC, it’s been ongoing but he apparently saying it’s not his responsibility to repair/replace it. He doesn’t speak English, I suggested to the neighbour a Thai get it repaired and deduct the cost from the rent. There is nothing in the rental agreement which says the tenants are responsible for repairs, ok I don’t mind minor repairs or servicing the AC.

Is normal for a tenant to be expected to pay for repairs ?

Depends what the contract says. That said we tend to go 50-50 with our landlady of 8 years at the same rent with 3 more years just extended at the same price. And we have just done exactly that, 50-50 on a new pump.

Edited by Thailand

Landlords here think they are some half gods who we have to pay, and that that includes taking care of their taxes and repairs. No way obviously.

Yes, in case you have a rental deal for years at 30-40% less than average, you might do a 50/50 replacement. Or in case there is no AC and you do want to add it but not the way you describe it. I would leave, let them feel the pain.

• Like 2

Some years back a friend of mine offered to replace the air-con unit in his rental unit. The landlord agreed. And then put the rent up at the end of the contract since the unit now had a new aircon unit. This was after he had agreed not to do exactly that.

• Like 1

I think anything which is permanent feature that can’t be taken away if you leave should be owners responsibility.

I rented my apartment in the U.K. I was responsible for repairs to the white goods as well as the heating system.

My previous owner was no problem, any repairs just deduct the cost from the rent.

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I think anything which is permanent feature that can’t be taken away if you leave should be owners responsibility.

I rented my apartment in the U.K. I was responsible for repairs to the white goods as well as the heating system.

My previous owner was no problem, any repairs just deduct the cost from the rent.

However, this is not UK but amazing Thailand...:whistling:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The Lease Law says...

Section 550. The letter is liable for any defects which arise during the continuance of the contract and he must make all the repairs which may become necessary, except those which are by law or custom to be done by the hirer.

Section 553. The hirer is bound to take as much care of the property hired as a person of ordinary prudence would take of his own property, and to do ordinary maintenance and petty repairs.

Section 554. If the hirer act contrary to the provision of Sections 552, 553 or contrary to the terms of the contract, the letter may notify the hirer to comply with such provisions or terms, and if the hirer fails to comply, the letter may terminate the contract.

You can read the full law text in English translation HERE.

Your contract may however have special clauses like 50/50...????

3 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The Lease Law says...

You can read the full law text in English translation HERE.

Your contract may however have special clauses like 50/50...????

My contract is very basic, nothing about who is responsible for repairs.

I wouldn't worry about replacing consumables, such as light bulbs, or fixing a leaking tap.

If it's a major repair, or something that needs to be fixed immediately as essential, it's the landlord's problem.

I've never had an issue with any landlord, as I look after their property as if it is my own. I suppose my luck will run out one day.

I do read the fine print of every contract I sign.

Edited by Lacessit

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I wouldn't worry about replacing consumables, such as light bulbs, or fixing a leaking tap.

If it's a major repair, or something that needs to be fixed immediately as essential, it's the landlord's problem.

I've never had an issue with any landlord, as I look after their property as if it is my own. I suppose my luck will run out one day.

I do read the fine print of every contract I sign.

I do minor repairs change leaky taps, I have added additional sockets/lights and taps at my cost, the owner never complains about that. Ask him about AC he says we are using it so we should pay for any repairs, I think his biggest problem is he had to reduce the rent, he or family own 4 town houses on the Soi. From what I know he did not return the deposit to previous tenants when they left.

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I would love to have tenants like you, repairs are the responsibility of

the landlord, the trouble is some landlords think their only job is to

take in rents.

regards worgeordie

Rare as hen's teeth we is! ????

But we really do have a cheap rental and for a long period and a pleasant landlady.

We also rented out our own house which was much too big for us after time and had 5 tenants in 7 years non of whom left the house in condition that did not need a couple of weeks work. 5 of them forfeited their deposits for not completing the contracted term. 

Now sold, and at an acceptable profit.

Our contract and the owner agrees without issue ... if it is part of the house, he takes care of needed replacement, maintenance (lightbulbs, cleaning 4 air conditioners, etc. I take care). 3 years now and he replaced a shower hot water heater, and an air conditioner. Before we moved in he had already replaced to water pump and two air conditioners.

• Like 1

Last landlord I had refused to fix most things. Septic tank finally went and she was forced to fix it. Wanted me to pay for it. I refused. Air conditioner went refused to fix it. I had to purchase a new one and I kept the old one, then when I left I took my new air conditioner with me and had the old one that didn't work reinstalled. 

My new landlord will fix anything I have a problem with. She is even building a swimming pool for me just need to pay additional rent once the pool is finished. 

Edited by PattayaKevin
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 10:18 AM, Jumbo1968 said:

Depends if it's a

1. Thai style rental, cheap rent and no repairs ever. You move when you can't stand it any longer.

2. Foreigner style rental, expensive rent and you call the landlord to fix a dripping tap.

• 2 weeks later...