How is your haggling & negotiation skills

Ok ..

I found out that in Asia you either learn to haggle & negotiate or you can fail

First how is your haggling skills?

Are you able to be sent to the market & haggle say over a t shirt or you aren't that way inclined?

Now give you this scenario over ...

You order a car/taxi to pick you up from the airport,you already agreed on a price , say 1300 baht for arguments sake to pattaya.,you negotiation with this with the car company before

You arrive at the airport,you wait at the baggage area for 45 minutes waiting for your suitcase, in the meantime the taxi driver is waiting for you in the arrivals and has been there for over a hour .

You finally pick up your bag and head in out to meet him, he is happy& jovial and helps carry your bags to the car.

He doesn't mention or complain about it at all during the ride .

Now if he doesn't say anything about extra payment at the end of the trip ,do you offer more ,if he does say he wants extra do you offer more  or negotiate or just walk off happy you didn't have to pay extra !

Do U feel guilty about that ?

Second scenario which apparently works more because people get guilty is this, 

You come out of the baggage area ,the driver is either angry or starts telling you how long he is waited for you and makes you feel guilty.

He says he needs half more around 500 baht, because his either angry attitude OR attitude with sadness saying he has missed out on fares and has 25 kids to support etc  ,does that make you feel guilty ..do you just pay the 500 extra ,decline or negotiate it?

Are you able to haggle or negotiate or you just give him the 500 or even more !!!

I want to know what kind of person you are .

You see another example,last week I'm travelling with a friend in the Philippines,the GRAB driver is a very good talker didn't even help with our bags etc ..BUT my friend is practically in love with him on our 25 minute trip because the guy had personality.

So he tips him.

But doesn't have any cash left to tip the bellboy who carried out bags up...now today I tipped the room cleaners in my hotel,why ?

Because there is a benefit to me 

Sure I will tip the grab driver maybe 20 baht....but there's more benefit to me to tip the cleaners for more water or to the hotel reception... because I may need something 

I work out people by their tipping.. haggling and negotiation skills 

Can you easily be made to feel guilty to tip more ?

Yes ..there's a art to that !!!

I'm just wondering your psyche...so if your haggling in a markets over say t shirts ...are you the type of person who can do that ?

Also I heard this goes on....a go go bar owner told me....I'm wondering these people psyche though...in the low season they actually get people turning up at a go go bar and negotiate over the drink price 

I admire people who have no qualms with haggling & negotiation

They don't feel guilty over taking more , do you ?

Edited by georgegeorgia

So let me get into this...I was at a soi bukhao book cafe last week talking to a few guys sitting there and we were all talking about haggling & negotiation

The topic came about people such as waitress using "sympathy" & guiltness skills to get more tips.

I spoke about a few years ago a waitress at a fish n chip restaurant in jomtien kept telling me loudly how she didn't have much salary ( all said in front of her farang boss who was listening attentionly and watching  ) and she had 3 kids etc and just asking me as she was serving me can I please tip her .

I had to reply back I will if her service is good to which she replied .."how much you tip me??

Now at the end of my meal she wasn't much special service but as I went to pay I saw her farang boss sticking his neck out from the kitchen to look how much I was giving her all planned .

Now talking to the guys at the cafe about this a Scottish guy said to me ...you must be bloody stupid, Not this little black duck !

She would of got my long bloody Scottish pockets !!

So the psyche of that guy is...he is not a push over !

Not this little black duck he says !

So...are you a pushover or just sympathetic...are U made to feel guilty in giving tips or even in negotiations...

Would you feel guilty in negotiating a driver say to the Bangkok airport?

Edited by georgegeorgia

36 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

You order a car/taxi to pick you up from the airport,you already agreed on a price , say 1300 baht for arguments sake to pattaya.,you negotiation with this with the car company before

[...]

Now if he doesn't say anything about extra payment at the end of the trip ,do you offer more ,if he does say he wants extra do you offer more  or negotiate or just walk off happy you didn't have to pay extra !

Do U feel guilty about that ?

In general I would pay the agreed 1300. If he would have done something special, made my trip enjoyable, or whatever I would maybe tip him a bit. If he asks for a tip he surely wouldn't get one.

38 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

You come out of the baggage area ,the driver is either angry or starts telling you how long he is waited for you and makes you feel guilty.

He says he needs half more around 500 baht, because his either angry attitude OR attitude with sadness saying he has missed out on fares and has 25 kids to support etc  ,does that make you feel guilty ..do you just pay the 500 extra ,decline or negotiate it?

Some waiting time is normal at the airport due to immigration, customs etc. should be no surprise to him.

Him demanding 500 baht from me, which is of course a ripoff anyway, would make me feel so uncomfortable that I wouldn't want to spend 2 hours in a car with him. So I would just tell him that and wish him a nice day, then find another taxi.

And same as above, if somebody asks for a tip I won't give one. Same in your last example with the waitress.

If I haggle on a market depends on the type of market. There are markets where prices are basically fixed (usually having price tags), and there are markets (mostly for tourists, no price tags) where you have to negotiate to pay a reasonable price, so I act accordingly.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

! ? . 

Can someone make you feel guilty to tip them?

Can you negotiate over matters or you just accept them?

Now using this psychology, if the waitress said to you loudly in front of others that she needs a tip ,do you do that because everyone is watching 

Tips depend on what work it is, I tend to tip well in poor countries, so yes, there’s part guilt at being well off.

Taxi drivers at airports know there is a waiting time. They check the arrivals, if it’s a company they usually have a few hanging round near. Whatever, I call them on landing to let them know. 
I always tip and if it’s a long safe drive, I give more. I usually ask for lady drivers, safer. 
Restaurants i go to very often , I still tip, because they’re good, and there’s a communal tip box .

If someone asks me for a tip, I would be slightly offended. Depending on where, and who serves me, I might, or might not, tip. All depends on the circumstances really in every case. 

Just now, georgegeorgia said:

Can someone make you feel guilty to tip them?

Can you negotiate over matters or you just accept them?

Now using this psychology, if the waitress said to you loudly in front of others that she needs a tip ,do you do that because everyone is watching 

No

Yes

Definitely not . 

That's the kind of person I am , not American , so rarely tip.

Regards Worgeordie

Never that good at haggling. (But on occasion I did well, like when I haggled the price of a taxi ride; "Sorry, no meter...", down to 200 baht from 800 baht. The driver made sure to arrive at the destination with 199 baht on the meter - he shortly after leaving turned it on... LOL.)

I am certainly not enjoying it, so I usually just buy where prices are clearly displayed.

As for the taxi, it depends. If I think, he wants to take advantage of me, I usually just walk away. If I can't, cause I have too much luggage, and I know all drivers are in it, then I bite the bullet, but don't give a tip, even if the driver helps with the bags. (He wanted 300 baht more, well, enjoy your big tip then!) - Then again, if it is reasonable, like an extra 50 baht for a ride into town, no problem. Also, for a friendly and helpful driver I usually have a tip.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

24 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

In general I would pay the agreed 1300. If he would have done something special, made my trip enjoyable, or whatever I would maybe tip him a bit. If he asks for a tip he surely wouldn't get one.

shall he wear a jester hat as well my lord. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

So let me get into this...I was at a soi bukhao book cafe last week talking to a few guys sitting there and we were all talking about haggling & negotiation

The topic came about people such as waitress using "sympathy" & guiltness skills to get more tips.

I spoke about a few years ago a waitress at a fish n chip restaurant in jomtien kept telling me loudly how she didn't have much salary ( all said in front of her farang boss who was listening attentionly and watching  ) and she had 3 kids etc and just asking me as she was serving me can I please tip her .

I had to reply back I will if her service is good to which she replied .."how much you tip me??

Now at the end of my meal she wasn't much special service but as I went to pay I saw her farang boss sticking his neck out from the kitchen to look how much I was giving her all planned .

Now talking to the guys at the cafe about this a Scottish guy said to me ...you must be bloody stupid, Not this little black duck !

So...are you a pushover or just sympathetic...are U made to feel guilty in giving tips or even in negotiations...

There's not a hope in hell she would have gotten a tip from me.

My general rule is: if she asks for a tip, she gets nothing.

Hi GG how ya doin? So when your nom de plume gets boring do you use this account?  Unfortunately you have fallen into the routine with overly long stories, replying to yourself multiple times and rubbish stories.

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I pay the price plus 20 baht. Simple. No need to think.

Do not haggling at all these days, and can't remember I went to buy something at the marked where I needed to either. Pretty much know when I find decent T-shirts of quality, and also know the prices. But again, do not shopping much at all where haggling is a must. My gf do the shopping and talking, and in most cases she is getting the correct price. 

Taxi we use fixed prices and if we are delayed they know by flight number or we informed them. Before COVID I had the same driver for 3 years, so no need to haggle, but more important to give tip.