You still think you can live on less than 50k a month month

7 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Er no.... I don't yet draw my UK state pension.  When I do (in 3 years from now), it will add about 30,000 baht a month to my income ????

With an income like this, you might think I'd be beating of the hookers and gold-digger women!  Nope....  I have more important things to spend my little funds on than money-grabbing partners ???? I've learnt to live modestly and look of modest means.

120,000 baht isnt modest. Id being doing 3 women a week on that.

• Like 2

I can no longer respond as a single male and I am not Australian. My U.S. Social Security is $1385 USD per month. Certainly not enough to live on the USA nor Thailand. But I currently do live on the required imported funds of 65,000 baht a month … for a family of three so do think, if I were single 50K baht a month would be fine … for me alone.

12 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

There are no ATM fees for a Thai card in a Thai ATM, withdrawing funds from a Thai account.

You kidding? I just got charged 20 baht to withdraw in another province.

• Like 1

40 years old, no drinking, no bars, no massages or any paying for sexy times

3500 rent (4x5 meters simple room) including water and electric, 50 meters from the beach
750 baht gigabit fiber home internet and 20GB mobile (combined)
150 baht per day for food  = 4500
60 baht for 4x 20L delivered jugs of drinking water
1900 baht per year for visa extension (160 per month)

1000 baht per month for grain free food for dogs

all in, simple life but about 10,000 a month

my internet is paid yearly, not monthly with a discount so it's not technically in my "monthly" budget but it would be if they'd let me pay per month so I include it.

I "need" nothing else.. it's about 10% of my income and I just save the rest.

so yes, I still think I can live on less than 50k a month and I've been doing it for almost 10 years now

and in 10 years, the only thing that went up for me is the rent, the landlady jacked up the price because of "electric" by 500 baht twice by now.

Edited by kekalot
  • Like 1

It is not the amount of pension it is what you do with it....how you spend it... Would you do the same if you lived in your own country?? eating in a restaurant with wine?, go massage every week/day/ drink alcohol everyday? travel everywhere and sleep in hotels and many more......Why do it here than and complain you don't have enough money

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

Me and my wife live on around 25,000 Baht a month, quite easily. I don't drink or smoke, we eat very well, have a car, motorcycle, internet, 2 big screen TVs, subscribe to beIN, and True, for the football. Don't throw money away on hookers and massages!  lol

No beer, massages or hookers? Not really living.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Pity the solo fool that can't figure out how to live on 50 k a month in Thailand....can you live in a fancy condo, go to top level restaurants, have a few hot gals at your beck and call? NO. 

Are Bangkok and Phuket more expensive than Pattaya or chiang mai?  you bet.  Do you have to live in the most expensive neighborhoods in the most expensive cities?  NO

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I average 55,000 baht per month, that's living as I want to. I could probably pull it back to 30-35K a month without a GF. She's not a big spender, but it all adds up.

The Australian pension is about 48,000 /month on current exchange rates, I don't have much slack to pick up with investment income.

IMO life would a lot more expensive in Pattaya and Bangok, Chiang Rai is cheaper on a number of fronts.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Easy ... Because I know how much she'll be driving it and how long it should last.  That's not rocket science. 2+2 still equals 4.

You are making the assumption she will be giving the vehicle the same level of maintenance as you do. IME many Thais don't.

14 minutes ago, pomchop said:

Pity the solo fool that can't figure out how to live on 50 k a month in Thailand....can you live in a fancy condo, go to top level restaurants, have a few hot gals at your beck and call? NO. 

Are Bangkok and Phuket more expensive than Pattaya or chiang mai?  you bet.  Do you have to live in the most expensive neighborhoods in the most expensive cities?  NO

It is not what you spend on average that matters, it what you have when deleted hits the fan, and what you have left for your earned holidays from your daily life 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Laundry is expensive here in Pattaya

Just looking at the bill

T shirt 25b

Collared shirt 40

Shorts 20b

Those are 4-5 star hotel prices. I could do a full laundry basket for 40 baht in Chiang Rai if I needed to.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Maintenance ... ????

image.png.f6be9633a13b6847dfc01f70ff9983d3.png

Wheel bearings and transmission don't need lubricant maintenance? Brake linings and tires never need to be changed?

Edited by Lacessit

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I base that on extreme negative projection.  1000 cycles of 300 kms per.  300k kms, which I doubt I'll do 20k a year for first 10 yrs.  So 200k, and if I c r a p out, highly unlikely she'll put 10k a year on afterwards.   So yes, 20 yrs/300k, and the battery should simply start to degrade, at worst, 20%.  

Most batteries are good for 1500-2000 cycles, and if driving conservative, 350-400kms per full charge.  So a potential of 600-800 kms, before degrading 20%.  My #s based on half that.

After 20 yrs, the book value will be c r a p anyway, but battery still good enough for around town, which is all she'd use it for anyway..  Or pop it out, tweak it, and use on the house or farm plot for solar back up.  Should be plenty of 3rd part battery shops by then.

Yes, I think everything through.

Chevy had an electric car a fews years ago and stopped production.

Now folks batteries are wearing out and there are NO replacements.

You can't predict everything!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KIngsofisaan said:

Chevy had an electric car a fews years ago and stopped production.

Now folks batteries are wearing out and there are NO replacements.

You can't predict everything!

Chevy ... yikes.  That or any American car, especially an EV ... no thanks.

EV - China, they got it down to a science.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pomchop said:

A Team

15 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Who goes to bars or for a massage every day? Is that common in Australia? With such a lifestyle, yes, 50k will be spent after less than half a month. As for go-go-bars, it depends where you are, e.g. here in Bangkok I rarely go, cause there's 'not much to see' anyway.

Massage is $60 in Oz. $10 in Thailand. Could get 3 a week in Thailand not cost much.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wrwest said:

I can no longer respond as a single male and I am not Australian. My U.S. Social Security is $1385 USD per month. Certainly not enough to live on the USA nor Thailand. But I currently do live on the required imported funds of 65,000 baht a month … for a family of three so do think, if I were single 50K baht a month would be fine … for me alone.

You should be ok...tell your wife or gf to get a job.

6 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

I live in oz. 48 000 baht a month roughly.

If i was living in cm or udon id be having more fun.

That sounds like Logan, Ipswich or any other wasteland west of Gold Coast. 48k baht would be pretty much only the rent in Gold coast or good Brisbane suburb.

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Chevy ... yikes.  That or any American car, especially an EV ... no thanks.

EV - China, they got it down to a science.

China has no track record in terms of after-sales service, spares availability, and honoring warranty claims.

It's great to buy a new vehicle that is priced competitively, and that's why the Chinese products are selling well in Thailand. The acid test will come when the vehicles are out of warranty. If something goes wrong and the brand decides to throw their customers under a bus to save money or make more, there is not much buyers can do.

• Like 1