How to get Thai Drivers licence

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

You need an IDP going what you say about your Canadian DL you certainly would in our province or the alternative is doing the Thai DL test. 

ok well that totally destroys that plan lol, where do I get the IDP, in my home country or this is something I get in Thailand?

On 7/25/2022 at 12:46 PM, Kwasaki said:

Go to the local DLT office in your area and ask them what they want.

Take passport, proof of address of stay, medical certificate may be needed, your Driving license from your home country, if your home country Driving license is not in English you will need a IDP. 

Medical certificate is needed now but it isnt a really thorough examination.

15 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

ok well that totally destroys that plan lol, where do I get the IDP, in my home country or this is something I get in Thailand?

You can only get an IDP (international driving permit) in your home country if you contact your country DL issue dept I guess they could help you. 

A Canadian friend of mine drove in Thailand on his home DL with an IDP he never stayed move than 3 months at a time so never bothered getting a Thai DL. 

Don't know how long you intend to stay but you also do the motorcycle Thai DL test it's kids stuff. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Medical certificate is needed now but it isnt a really thorough examination.

Yeah things have changed over the years. 

When I went for 5 year DL renewal I got a medical certificate in case they wanted but they didn't ask for it just did colour chart thing and they took photo paid money 15 mins got my renewed DL's. ????

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

You can only get an IDP (international driving permit) in your home country if you contact your country DL issue dept I guess they could help you. 

A Canadian friend of mine drove in Thailand on his home DL with an IDP he never stayed move than 3 months at a time so never bothered getting a Thai DL. 

Don't know how long you intend to stay but you also do the motorcycle Thai DL test it's kids stuff. 

Ok so ran out and got my IDP, kinda disappointed as it does not have a picture of a motorcycle and car, it just has very tiny print of motorcycle and motor vehicle in english...... it does have translations for 8 languages though but not for Thai.  Now that I have it I realise its kinda important for my situation as I am about to embark on a bit of a world tour so this should come in handy for more than just Thailand.  So thankyou to those that helped me decide to go get this. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheLaughingMan said:

Ok so ran out and got my IDP, kinda disappointed as it does not have a picture of a motorcycle and car, it just has very tiny print of motorcycle and motor vehicle in english...... it does have translations for 8 languages though but not for Thai.  Now that I have it I realise its kinda important for my situation as I am about to embark on a bit of a world tour so this should come in handy for more than just Thailand.  So thankyou to those that helped me decide to go get this. 

The thing is your IDP has written in English car and motorcycle which is what Thai DLT offices want if it is not written in English on your Canadian DL.