Has anyone changed from a Honda Click 125 to the Honda Click 160?

8 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

Went on Sukhumvit Pattaya now. Lane change for right turn is critical. Probably best as a beginner to wait on the left bank for a red light, a few hundred meters before the turn and then quickly rush over to right lane when clear, was my first conclusion.

That is one way to do it but you have to wait for the red light, not that practical. Some u turns are far worse than others such as Sukhumvit Pattaya Tai or Thepprasit junction

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

That is one way to do it but you have to wait for the red light, not that practical. Some u turns are far worse than others such as Sukhumvit Pattaya Tai or Thepprasit junction

I agree, I have tried both places the last couple of days. You wrote you drive 80-85 on the 125 cc. So far I am more like 60(-65) which is what is painted in the road,  but some come like bullets from behind. 

Well. It is a good way to see the country. Much respect for the situation will maybe help. And planning to minimize the number of right turns. Inside Pattaya it has not been as bad. The cars line up so the small bikes can trickle in position in front and rush to the left lane when green. (Advantage of small bike.) Cars also keep more reasonable speed inside Pattaya so you can keep up with it.  Just my impression.

Edited by thailandsgreat

15 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

I haven't tried them. PCX and ADV look similar to me. But I see a lot of pcx and few adv. So adv is  better built?

Both store 30 l

Yes, it is a more stable platform, has better suspension, and will support a heavier driver, with a passenger better. It is an advance from the PCX.

I had a click 125, rode the 160 and wasn’t impressed. GF suggested wave 125 and I resisted. I rented one for a couple weeks and after getting used to it I actually liked it, nimble easy to maneuver through traffic and can climb any hill with the two of us. I have no problem 80- 90

32 minutes ago, 0james0 said:

I had a click 125, rode the 160 and wasn’t impressed. GF suggested wave 125 and I resisted. I rented one for a couple weeks and after getting used to it I actually liked it, nimble easy to maneuver through traffic and can climb any hill with the two of us. I have no problem 80- 90

Why not impressed with the 160? easily faster

On 8/17/2023 at 8:33 PM, thailandsgreat said:

Lane change for right turn is critical. Probably best as a beginner to wait on the left bank for a red light, a few hundred meters before the turn and then quickly rush over to right lane when clear, was my first conclusion.

Or do what the locals do turn left and immediately do a U turn, come back to the lights and turn left. ????

32 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Why not impressed with the 160? easily faster

Yes it is definitely faster and has more kick from the start. It felt awkward and the seat is quite uncomfortable. I was strongly considering the pcx because it’s more comfortable riding but not nearly as nimble as the wave. Still considering purchasing the pcx or something larger and comfortable. The wave is just plain easy in the city where 90% of my driving and parking occurs. Another deciding factor is the fuel consumption, caltex 95 benzene I’m getting 64-73km/L, I think that’s pretty impressive, if I had a 350 or 500 I’m sure it would be parked most of the time. Everyone has their personal preferences so I have no idea what is best for someone else. 

Edited by 0james0
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, 0james0 said:

Yes it is definitely faster and has more kick from the start. It felt awkward and the seat is quite uncomfortable

Fair enough, for me the seat felt similar to the 125, didn't notice any difference, certainly not awkward, but as you say we are all different i guess

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/17/2023 at 6:02 PM, thailandsgreat said:

Interesting how you and others go against the 160. I am a novice, just renting sometimes and maybe buying now. I just thought a few extra cc could be helpful if I loaded the bike with top box and maybe saddle packs for a week trip or so 

See if you can rent the model you are thinking of buying for a week or so.  That should give you enough clues whether or not it's right for you.   I rent a 10 year old Fino for around Jomtien.  Never a long ride on a highway, just around town.  It has a 34 liter top box which holds a surprisingly large load of groceries.  Doesn't seem to effect handling at the under 60 kph speeds though I try to be aware that it's top heavy when loaded.  Only one major hill in Jomtien and it's ok as I don't drive 2-up.

I did rent a Click 125 in Phuket once and it had a hard time with some of the steep hills there.  Downhill could be scary as well as very little engine breaking assistance.

On 8/18/2023 at 4:55 AM, scubascuba3 said:

They certainly have made Thepprasit Rd a hairier place to ride.  That new center divider is going to kill a lot more people than it saves.  Almost no gaps for U-turns which means bikes and cars  bunch up at the few available.  Soi 17 used to be a great back route from Jomtien to Pattaya, quick right onto Thepprasit then left at that tall, empty condo.  Now, must turn left on Thepprasit, only U-Turn opportunity is a pedestrian gap almost all the way to Trapphaya.  Two years of construction for what? 

8 hours ago, dddave said:

Soi 17 used to be a great back route from Jomtien to Pattaya, quick right onto Thepprasit then left at that tall, empty condo.  Now, must turn left on Thepprasit, only U-Turn opportunity is a pedestrian gap almost all the way to Trapphaya.  Two years of construction for what? 

There is also a larger U turn a couple hundred metres past the pedestrian gap

On 8/18/2023 at 8:43 AM, spidermike007 said:

Yes, it is a more stable platform, has better suspension, and will support a heavier driver, with a passenger better. It is an advance from the PCX.

Let's see if I can rent one. I have been three days on a 2022 pcx 155 which feels good with my limited experience. Nmax another alternative. Both single channel abs I believe

Many use pcx which is an advantage for repairs and resell.

155 felt steadier than the click 125 going to Satahip. Slowly learning traffic rules. There was a red light and traffic coming on from the right so I stopped. But a guy pointed at me and said "You, go". Fortunately I was in the chicken lane to the left and blocked no one.

Edited by thailandsgreat
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 8:25 PM, dddave said:

They certainly have made Thepprasit Rd a hairier place to ride.  That new center divider is going to kill a lot more people than it saves.  Almost no gaps for U-turns which means bikes and cars  bunch up at the few available.  Soi 17 used to be a great back route from Jomtien to Pattaya, quick right onto Thepprasit then left at that tall, empty condo.  Now, must turn left on Thepprasit, only U-Turn opportunity is a pedestrian gap almost all the way to Trapphaya.  Two years of construction for what? 

Yes. I don't think Google maps has got it. Ended up on Sukhumvit going from soi 17 to Lotus, anyway.  ????

Edited by thailandsgreat

On 8/20/2023 at 7:43 PM, VocalNeal said:

Or do what the locals do turn left and immediately do a U turn, come back to the lights and turn left. ????

That is a good idea. And repeat until street is suitable for U turn.  ???? But I am slowly getting into it. Most drivers are alert and aware of motorbikes. Using blinkers, they leave a small gap for you but you must trust them and grab the slot immediately. U-turns on Sukumvit are when concentration must be on top. If only one other guy messes up, that is enough.

Can't make multiquote work.

But occasional guys overspeed and lane shift so it's not enough to know the lane you're going into is clear. You must preferably know all what is behind you.

Edited by thailandsgreat

6 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

Let's see if I can rent one. I have been three days on a 2022 pcx 155 which feels good with my limited experience. Nmax another alternative. Both single channel abs I believe

Many use pcx which is an advantage for repairs and resell.

155 felt steadier than the click 125 going to Satahip. Slowly learning traffic rules. There was a red light and traffic coming on from the right so I stopped. But a guy pointed at me and said "You, go". Fortunately I was in the chicken lane to the left and blocked no one.

Nmax has dual channel ABS, disk and ABS on both front and back, this was an advantage over PCX before, which had drum at the back, but I think newer PCX also has disk at the back, not sure about ABS, it might have CBS, combined breaking system, which is different, I'm sure the guys will clarify this in a minute... 

7 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

BTW, is there some empty parking lot where you can get the feel of the bike at low speed, do figure eights etc. ?  I tried some shopping centers. I didn't disturb anyone, but it slowly attracted the locals' attention. ????

Bali Hai on blue area, or road leading to lighthouse and up hill 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Henryford said:
On 7/29/2022 at 2:36 AM, Wavel said:

If you’re going for an upgrade PCX wins on every spec over the Click 

Except price, it's in a different price range altogether. Unfair to compare them. Like comparing the PCX to a Forza.

Don't forget step-thru, which is really handy for us old farts who didn't ride growing up.

On 8/20/2023 at 8:25 PM, dddave said:

The last U-turn before Sukhumvit is about 20-30 m before the Outlet/Lotus access road. Today I saw someone heading into the oncoming traffic to reach the access road. I am no expert but I don't think you should U-turn in the junction, so you will have to make a detour on Sukhumvit either South or North. Or maybe you can enter after the night market. Coming on Thepprasit  from Jomtien going to Lotus is not well planned?

Edited by thailandsgreat
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 8:43 AM, spidermike007 said:

Rented an ADV 150 today. Front wheel abs. This rental said I should use the fob when I lock it. The other said never use it because it hangs up.

I have little experience but the suspension and also transmission feels firmer and more distinct The 150 has 10% less storage than the corresponding pcx, the 160 has the same (30 l).

Edited by thailandsgreat

3 minutes ago, thailandsgreat said:

Rented an ADV 150 today. Front wheel abs. This rental said I should use the fob when I lock it. The other said never use it because it hangs up.

I have little experience but the suspension and also transmission feels firmer and more distinct The 150 has slighly less storage than the corresponding pcx, the 160 has the same (30 l).

Thais often don't understand the fob including Honda staff, read the manual will be same\similar for all Hondas

6 minutes ago, thailandsgreat said:

The last U-turn before Sukhumvit is about 20-30 m before the Outlet/Lotus access road. Today I saw someone heading into the oncoming traffic to reach the access road. I am no expert but I don't think you should U-turn in the junction, so you will have to make a detour on Sukhumvit either South or North. Or maybe you can enter after the night market. Coming on Thepprasit  from Jomtien going to Lotus is not well planned?

Yes they've screwed up that U turn it's too early so you have to go in the wrong lane for 30 metres or so, the alternative is a U-turn at Sukhumvit which may be blocked

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Thais often don't understand the fob including Honda staff, read the manual will be same\similar for all Hondas

I think the round button just breaks the connection so if the bike is parked beside where I sit,  noone can ride it. The other two arms the alarm and activate blinkers/horn so you find it in the parking lot.

Was lucky and rented well maintained bikes. Like you wrote. ADV gives a solid feel.

Edited by thailandsgreat

10 minutes ago, thailandsgreat said:

I think the round button just breaks the connection so if the bike is parked beside where I sit,  noone can ride it. The other two arms the alarm and activate blinkers/horn so you find it in the parking lot.

Was lucky and rented well maintained bikes. Like you wrote. ADV gives a solid feel.

fyi you shouldn't need to touch the button if set up correctly, renter probably doesn't understand it

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

fyi you shouldn't need to touch the button if set up correctly, renter probably doesn't understand it

I read that from the manual. I agree. You don't have to touch it. But if you park just outside your room where you keep the fob you should deactivate it, according to the manual.

Edited by thailandsgreat

4 minutes ago, thailandsgreat said:

I read that from the manual. I agree. You don't have to touch it. But if you park just outside your room where you keep the fob you should deactivate it, according to the manual.

I know the part you refer to but it has a range of 0.5-1m max, so certainly no worries if in your room.

Try it and you will see, move the fob away and try to start it

Edited by scubascuba3

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I know the part you refer to but it has a range of 0.5-1m max, so certainly no worries if in your room.

Try it and you will see, move the fob away snd try to start it

I am sure you are right. I just quote what the manual says ("on the other side of a wall"). It feels good to know what the button does. And for this bike I follow the renter's instructions. Pretty new and well maintained bike. Unfortunately they didn't want me to ride as far as Sattahip or similar. But I can still try it on Sukhumvit.

I can't go so far with it. So if it jams I just call them ????

Edited by thailandsgreat