Has anyone changed from a Honda Click 125 to the Honda Click 160?

I made the mistake of changing from a Honda Click 125 up to the 160. My wife can no longer drive the bike because it is too heavy for her to handle. I can drive it, but find it a strain. What I cannot get used to is the initial very rapid acceleration which I think is dangerous. The one click did us for 125000 kms over 15 years. The new one is 6 months old and has about 1000km on the clock because it is so unpleasant to drive.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The 160 is noticeably more powerful, I'm now doing 100 on Sukhumvit when i used to do 80s on 125, you just end up going faster

70 is plenty for me on a scooter. My first vehicle in Thailand was a Kawasaki 175 Boss (single cylinder) which I bought new in 2006. After breaking it in, it would do 127 kph downhill on the road to Pattaya - before they built the Chonbury highway. In fact, I once missed the turnoff for Pattaya and ended up having to cut back to Jomtien on the Sattahip road.

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe, you should head to Wat Yan area (khao chee chan), nice ride there, usually quiet areas so you can practice, better than Sattahip

That sounds good. I have been to Kao Chi Chan. You know the road so you can drive faster. Recently on a rainy day I took the left before Lotus Sattahip and ended up in water covering about half the front wheel!

Edited by thailandsgreat
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 10:02 AM, Pla Simon said:

Click ABS is not available

I've got one. A  Click 160 "special edition" bought on Valentine's Day this year.  The front and rear discs are better than drum brakes on long hills where brake fade can be a problem. I tour on the Click, so I know of what I speak. 

On 9/25/2023 at 3:21 PM, thailandsgreat said:

Thanks for info on oil pump

That was recalled and dealt with months ago, as was explained to me at the Honda shop in Phuket.  I've done over 9k km on my Click in just over 4 months and there have been zero problems. 

A couple of things of note. For anyone who does long days on a Click the seat is uncomfortable after an hour, painful after two hours, and torture if you're doing 6-9 hour days.  I've asked at 3 different shops and all of them told me there is no aftermarket seat to remedy the problem.  I'll keep searching. 

Second is the woefully inadequate suspension, especially the front.  Thai highways are strange; they can be amazingly smooth for a distance then suddenly potholed, leaving a scooter rider desperately grasping for the brakes.  The front suspension won't handle potholes at 80 to 100km/hr, so yesterday I took the plunge and had a YSS front and rear suspension installed for an upcoming ride, perhaps to CM.  Thus far I've been unable to bottom out either of the shocks. 

I'm based in Pattaya and have ridden to Hua Hin a few times and twice to Phuket + Krabi and back.  The speed limit is 90 and the Click 160 will do 100 comfortably (aside from the seat) all day long. 

Why not get a bigger bike? I love small displacement motorcycles.  Riding on the shoulder for most of the day is a different experience than sitting on the road with the cars.  Being stopped at a red light on a Click, surrounded by  Thai people on similar bikes is different than being there on a big bike, decked out like a stormtrooper replete with body armour and a full faced helmet (ie, more sensible riders).  Who knows, maybe I'll move up to a bigger bike one day. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

I've got one. A  Click 160 "special edition" bought on Valentine's Day this year

That's nice.

They're not available right now, though, which is what I presume was meant by the poster that you quoted.

Edited by JayClay
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

I've got one. A  Click 160 "special edition" bought on Valentine's Day this year.  The front and rear discs are better than drum brakes on long hills where brake fade can be a problem. I tour on the Click, so I know of what I speak. 

That was recalled and dealt with months ago, as was explained to me at the Honda shop in Phuket.  I've done over 9k km on my Click in just over 4 months and there have been zero problems. 

A couple of things of note. For anyone who does long days on a Click the seat is uncomfortable after an hour, painful after two hours, and torture if you're doing 6-9 hour days.  I've asked at 3 different shops and all of them told me there is no aftermarket seat to remedy the problem.  I'll keep searching. 

Second is the woefully inadequate suspension, especially the front.  Thai highways are strange; they can be amazingly smooth for a distance then suddenly potholed, leaving a scooter rider desperately grasping for the brakes.  The front suspension won't handle potholes at 80 to 100km/hr, so yesterday I took the plunge and had a YSS front and rear suspension installed for an upcoming ride, perhaps to CM.  Thus far I've been unable to bottom out either of the shocks. 

I'm based in Pattaya and have ridden to Hua Hin a few times and twice to Phuket + Krabi and back.  The speed limit is 90 and the Click 160 will do 100 comfortably (aside from the seat) all day long. 

Why not get a bigger bike? I love small displacement motorcycles.  Riding on the shoulder for most of the day is a different experience than sitting on the road with the cars.  Being stopped at a red light on a Click, surrounded by  Thai people on similar bikes is different than being there on a big bike, decked out like a stormtrooper replete with body armour and a full faced helmet (ie, more sensible riders).  Who knows, maybe I'll move up to a bigger bike one day. 

That was interesting. I don't know much about bikes. You hotted up the suspension of the Click. It has monoshock rear.  That is obviously your premeditated move. It is a very nice feeling to ride what the Thais ride. (I would choose Filano. But 125 is on the low side for the sukumwit?) Or is it so that we fall in love with certain bikes and keep modifying them. (Far easier than the women we marry.)

How would you compare the original suspension of an ADV to what you got now?

Edited by thailandsgreat
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

How much? where fitted? i probably don't need but like to know what's available 

It was done at a shop on Pattaya Thai, just before Sukhumvit Road, at a cost of 8300 baht.  Not cheap, but far superior to what it came with.  I rode out to Jomtien this afternoon and have far more confidence in the scooter than with the old suspension where I braced myself at every bump in the road due to the front forks bottoming out.   The new suspension reminds me of that in a race car- very stiff with no bounce, almost jarring.  In other words, just what I was looking for 555.

4 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

How would you compare the original suspension of an ADV to what you got now

There was too long a wait for the ADV back in February and I couldn't even find somewhere to test ride one, so I really don't know.  The ADV suspension appears to be beefier, but so does the suspension on the CRF300L, and that's like a pogo stick. 

I really like the 300 Rally, or at least the idea of it, but it's too bouncy for me and I'd have no confidence going hard into a corner on it.  There are suspension upgrades for that one too, but they cost around 30k baht.  Still, if I do end up with a 300 Rally I'll pay for the upgrade, but that's beyond the scope of this thread. 

6 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

If there is no aftermarket seat for Click maybe try some silicone gel/air bubble add on seat on top, I read some good reviews...

Touring long distance on a Click and riding on side shoulder is one experience, but try renting an Xmax or Forza, and go on the road, you never go back..., speed limits on highways are 120kph, a Click is blown away by a bus or truck going 100kph...!

On other roads Thais never respect limits, again, they push small bikes off the road, a bigger bike gets ahead of them by a few kph, more safety... (I also do a lot of long distance touring, Phuket to Chiang Mai and the loop last time).

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Agusts said:

If there is no aftermarket seat for Click maybe try some silicone gel/air bubble add on seat on top, I read some good reviews...

Touring long distance on a Click and riding on side shoulder is one experience, but try renting an Xmax or Forza, and go on the road, you never go back..., speed limits on highways are 120kph, a Click is blown away by a bus or truck going 100kph...!

On other roads Thais never respect limits, again, they push small bikes off the road, a bigger bike gets ahead of them by a few kph, more safety... (I also do a lot of long distance touring, Phuket to Chiang Mai and the loop last time).

Most towns have a bloke who recovers bike seats, they can also raise or lower a seat for you. Had our bike seat lowered, different colour, a really professional job with piping, think she paid 200bht, done in no time.......????

10 minutes ago, Agusts said:

push small bikes off the road

This is what will put me onto a bigger bike. I've been forced off of almost empty highways by angry Thai drivers who cross two lanes to run me off the road, then return to the fast lane and go back up to 120 km/hr.  This was on highways with a 90 speed limit and I was doing 100.  It happened an average of once every three hours on rides between Pattaya and Phuket. 

They sure as hell didn't do it to the Thai guys on Wave 125s though, because they knew what would happen at the next red light. 

I'll probably do one more tour on the 160, then get a bigger bike for touring. I love riding a lot more than booze and even loose women these days. Must be getting old. 

• Thumbs Up 1

One must be careful, especially on the Sukumvit. Maybe I get a bigger bike one day, but not for racing the Sukhumvit, I have too little experience for that. Buy a top box and side boxes might be nice.

I can just say that Cambodia, 10-20 years ago, was worse. Even the experienced bikers had problems with the Lexus who braked for no one.

I am no biker so I shouldnt say so much. But safety videos I listen to often talk about cars not seeing the bikes, not expecting them. But Thai are so used to bikes and "eveyone" probably grew up on a bike, so they are aware of bikes. But of course, it will suffice that one car fails and you are done.

Edited by thailandsgreat
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 9:12 AM, Pla Simon said:

Congrats on your click.

1>. The 160 combi brake has a front disc and rear drum.

The abs model is not being produced anymore, apparently.

2>. That was not recalled and dealt with Months ago.

Honda Thailand reluctantly admitted an oil pump fault after the issue blew up online, and multiple Thai's suffered engine damage.

The issue is still very much ongoing, and although Honda Thailand has allowed a claim, the onus is on the customer to make the claim and have the bike inspected themselves.

Any 160 model, beit ADV / CLICK / PCX produced before April 26th is prone to the problem, depending on which gearing was used in the oil pump - there is either a black gear or a yellow gear - the yellow gear is substandard, prone to movement and vibration, subequently failure.

Saying that, the substandard gearing may very well last for a fair while - it seems to be potluck.

My click forward, purchased in 2008 still has the original oil pump working, after many tens of thousands of km racked up.

Unless you have a motorbike produced after April, you are advised to go to a legitimate dealer and have the oil pump checked, and a pertinent claim made, should needs be.

I certainly wouldn't rely on a dealer just telling me the issue has been dealt with - you need to see the engine opened, and the gearing on the oil pump with your own eyes.

If you can understand the lingo, the internet, particularly Youtube, is full of Thai videos about this issue - it's still very much a current issue, and has certainly not been dealt with. 

There are hundreds of Thai's still being fobbed off by bogus, lazy dealers and mechanics whitewashing the issue, as it's a free service - some Thais have resorted to paying to rectify the issue themselves, others have made claims both before and after failure, and been kept waiting for Months for repairs / spares.

If you've had your click for 4 Months, it might very well have been manufactured after April.

Best to have it checked properly - a legit dealer cannot refuse to do so.

Enjoy and ride safe

Hua Hin Honda gave me a hard time until the owner came in and told me that my bike was manufactured with the correct metal part, not the yellow one in the recall notice (which he said was a service bulletin).  I confirmed that info with Phuket Honda and Mityon Pattaya, where the bike was purchased.   Hua Hin did the 1k service but didn't want to. Phuket was excellent, and I've got nothing but praise for Mityon who have been a pleasure to deal with. 

The Hua Hin service writer had the attitude you described, so I went back every morning and on the third day the owner was present to deal with me.

On 9/27/2023 at 5:40 PM, retarius said:

I made the mistake of changing from a Honda Click 125 up to the 160. My wife can no longer drive the bike because it is too heavy for her to handle. I can drive it, but find it a strain. What I cannot get used to is the initial very rapid acceleration which I think is dangerous. The one click did us for 125000 kms over 15 years. The new one is 6 months old and has about 1000km on the clock because it is so unpleasant to drive.

I’ve seen a few tiny women riding Frorza 350’s around, just take it slow and adapt…ride easy.

On 9/29/2023 at 9:12 AM, Pla Simon said:

Congrats on your click.

1>. The 160 combi brake has a front disc and rear drum.

The abs model is not being produced anymore, apparently.

2>. That was not recalled and dealt with Months ago.

Honda Thailand reluctantly admitted an oil pump fault after the issue blew up online, and multiple Thai's suffered engine damage.

The issue is still very much ongoing, and although Honda Thailand has allowed a claim, the onus is on the customer to make the claim and have the bike inspected themselves.

Any 160 model, beit ADV / CLICK / PCX produced before April 26th is prone to the problem, depending on which gearing was used in the oil pump - there is either a black gear or a yellow gear - the yellow gear is substandard, prone to movement and vibration, subequently failure.

Saying that, the substandard gearing may very well last for a fair while - it seems to be potluck.

My click forward, purchased in 2008 still has the original oil pump working, after many tens of thousands of km racked up.

Unless you have a motorbike produced after April, you are advised to go to a legitimate dealer and have the oil pump checked, and a pertinent claim made, should needs be.

I certainly wouldn't rely on a dealer just telling me the issue has been dealt with - you need to see the engine opened, and the gearing on the oil pump with your own eyes.

If you can understand the lingo, the internet, particularly Youtube, is full of Thai videos about this issue - it's still very much a current issue, and has certainly not been dealt with. 

There are hundreds of Thai's still being fobbed off by bogus, lazy dealers and mechanics whitewashing the issue, as it's a free service - some Thais have resorted to paying to rectify the issue themselves, others have made claims both before and after failure, and been kept waiting for Months for repairs / spares.

If you've had your click for 4 Months, it might very well have been manufactured after April.

Best to have it checked properly - a legit dealer cannot refuse to do so.

Enjoy and ride safe

The faulty gear, is it a plastic cog? i just went to an independent garage i go to, they understood the issue, showed me the replacement black cog and said it would cost 200-300, so I've booked it in for tomorrow. My Honda garage said to bring it in but it's a fair distance away

18 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The faulty gear, is it a plastic cog? i just went to an independent garage i go to, they understood the issue, showed me the replacement black cog and said it would cost 200-300, so I've booked it in for tomorrow. My Honda garage said to bring it in but it's a fair distance away

Yes man - it's slightly more involved.

Genuine honda part ?

I would be inclined to goto Honda, then you're covered by warranty.

If you understand Thai, then here is a good explanation.

It's worth noting that it's potluck what gearing you'll have in your bike - it might be ok.

Goodluck.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Just seen a few photos, so change the yellow to black it seems

Screenshot_2023-10-03-14-19-54-866_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Screenshot_2023-10-03-14-19-03-079_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Screenshot_2023-10-03-14-15-46-599_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Just seen a few photos, so change the yellow to black it seems

Screenshot_2023-10-03-14-19-54-866_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Screenshot_2023-10-03-14-19-03-079_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Screenshot_2023-10-03-14-15-46-599_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Honda can actually tell you the date your bike was made.

Here the guy says the PCX and CLICK oil pump issue was addressed first by Honda - after 26th April, but the ADV was about a week later, as it's a slower seller.

Interestingly - the Thai guy in the video also said, if he encountered a customer who's bike was made before 26th April, he would change both the cog and the pump for them, to be satisfied.

I would probably want both changed under warranty, but obviously upto you.

1 hour ago, Pla Simon said:

Yes man - it's slightly more involved.

Genuine honda part ?

I would be inclined to goto Honda, then you're covered by warranty.

If you understand Thai, then here is a good explanation.

It's worth noting that it's potluck what gearing you'll have in your bike - it might be ok.

Goodluck.

It's a good garage, think I'd trust them more than local Honda

• Thumbs Up 1