Recreational use of pot to be recriminalised as Minister warns abuses are undermining his plan

webfact

4 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Actually I was just thinking back to my first acid  trip when I was 16 or 17. German  acid called Blue Cheer. What fun

Where to begin.....

Edited by starky
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, starky said:

So alcohol and yaba are not a problem in Thailand. ????????????????

https://www.journal.nu.ac.th/NUJST/article/view/Vol-30-No-3-2022-1-10/1993

Alcohol abuse and dependence are an increasing problem in Thailand and worldwide. In Thailand in 1985, 26% of the adult population drank alcohol and 60% of households had at least one member who drank (Institute of Population and Social Research, 1985). In 1991, 12.4 million people or 31.4% of the population aged over 14 years drank alcohol (Office of National Statistics, 1992). The majority started drinking between the ages of 15 and 19 years. Among emergency room patients of three regional hospitals in Thailand, the overall prevalence rate of alcohol problems, detected by the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT), adjusted for age and diagnostic classification, was 39% for males and 8% for females (Lapham et al., 1998).

I never said they were  not a problem. Please don't put words in my mouth or I will report you again.

I refuted the notion that ' most of the country are on lao kao and yah ba'

I am correct because that statement was a lie.  As for your cut and paste - I suggest you preach about the  problems in your own country or better still if you feel  unhappy  here in Thailand return  to middle America  to which ever  ministry sent you  here.

• Like 1

That has led to an explosion in its recreational use, something that government officials - concerned about negative effects on health and productivity often linked to uncontrolled use of the drug - have retropectively tried to discourage.

In Thailand????????? ????

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/thailand-cannabis-cafes-tourism/index.html

• Like 1

Bickering and other off topic, personal comments have been removed, along with some replies.

When you see trolling, please report it, not respond to it.

Otherwise please stick to the topic and members input, without getting stuck into their intellectual capacity, for therein lies warnings and unwanted suspensions.

More of the above may yet be removed for the reasons already stated.

• Like 1

How about starting with actually enforcing current laws? Smoking weed in public is already illegal - but you can't go two meters in any nightlife venue without getting some stink in your face. And while they're at it they should enforce the shisha law too - it's a huge nuisance and makes any venue that allows it like being inside a chimney. It's illegal but they're openly selling it.

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's true. Teenagers experiment with drugs. It's a fact.

AND It is non your business to sit in judgement over them or anybody  else until we can sit in judgement  over you. I know plenty of articulate, intelligent Teenagers who would mock the idea of your moral and ethical  superiority based on your age or your  nationality. You must come from  a very sheltered background - please  don't impose your limited experience onto other people. Young people have enough  problems with nosy adults interfering in their  lives. The two young people in this instance were smoking pot, not crack, not smack, not meth, not tobacco! Nor were they drinking alcohol! 

Who insinuated teens do not experiment with drugs? 

Where did I say I was judging them? 

Yes the two teens were smoking pot but you decided to come out with this corker: "Teenagers smoke dope, take acid, Es etc. And it's not your business." 

My response to the poster who saw this happen was:

"There's one of the main worries with such easy access now to teens buying joints from unlicensed stalls that are dotted everywhere. Lets hope this mess somehow gets sorted out."

My concerns are with the laws that are lacking at the moment for unlicensed shops and stalls, along with online purchasing. Which you may notice is what this thread is about:

"Recreational use of pot to be recriminalised as Minister warns abuses are undermining his plan

The decriminalisation of marijuana is turning into a major problem for the government with chaos in ministries and agencies responsible including an anxious request to police for enforcement of an older law."

I am echoing that sentiment and will continue to do so until the appropriate laws are in place.

Now if you want to get back to me then do so with a reply to my two questions or come back with something that's on topic to my post.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's true. Teenagers experiment with drugs. It's a fact.

AND It is non your business to sit in judgement over them or anybody  else until we can sit in judgement  over you. I know plenty of articulate, intelligent Teenagers who would mock the idea of your moral and ethical  superiority based on your age or your  nationality. You must come from  a very sheltered background - please  don't impose your limited experience onto other people. Young people have enough  problems with nosy adults interfering in their  lives. The two young people in this instance were smoking pot, not crack, not smack, not meth, not tobacco! Nor were they drinking alcohol! 

Didn't see him sit in judgment over anyone. I've not read one post yet with anyone complaining about the behaviour of young people. I have noted concern regarding the easy access they have now that was not there before and how that's the fault of the chaotic roll out though. Could they get it before, yes of course but now access is far easier and more opportunity to buy it which as demonstrated in Canada increases the use in teenagers. Does that mean we are complaining about their behaviour, hardly it's the fault of the adults in charge.

851 Leading academics & doctors, Thailand’s Pharmacy Council, 83.5 percent of the Thai public all said recreational use is wrong with lack of laws for your people one of the concerns, are you saying they should all keep their noses out of it?, you know, the Thai's in their own country, nothing to do with so called old people on here. Along with Anutin doing his usual backflips as demonstrated in the OP and saying that new legislation before parliament will outlaw the now widespread recreational use of the drug in the country.

As far as I'm concerned let adults smoke it at home if they want, they are old enough to make their own decisions. Bring on Medical cannabis as far and wide as possible but controls for children and young people are important. The diversionary tactic of saying well they can get it anyway so why have laws then? No country has tried that before ever.

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well you could always go to the source and discover why?

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/cv.action?pid=2010000801

Since it doesn't break it out by age what point do you think you are are making exactly?  In your rush to try find reasons to disagree you apparently didn't realize you don't have one.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Since it doesn't break it out by age what point are you trying to make exactly?  In your rush to try find reasons to disagree you apparently forgot that part.

Well you actually had to look for the sublink from that page but guess you didn't manage that:

(NCS) every three months (quarterly)among Canadians who are 15 years old or older.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/13-610-x/cannabis-eng.htm

You may also have missed these I posted before:

A new study has found that Ontario saw nine times more emergency department visits per month for cannabis poisonings in young children after Canada legalized recreational cannabis.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/cannabis-poisoning-in-ont-kids-more-frequent-and-severe-since-legalization-study-1.5730591

Trends in youth cannabis use across cannabis legalization: Data from the COMPASS prospective cohort study

Examination of pre-post cannabis use trends in large cross-sectional and multi-cohort samples.

Youth cannabis use remains common with ever use increasing to 32.4% in 2018/19.

Cross-sectional odds of ever use were significantly higher post-legalization.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211335521000425

Edited by Bkk Brian

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well you actually had to look for the sublink from that page but guess you didn't manage that:

(NCS) every three months (quarterly)among Canadians who are 15 years old or older.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/13-610-x/cannabis-eng.htm

Apparently, in your continued enthusiasm to try win silly internet arguments you still are not looking at the data very closely.  ????

I guess that's why they call it dope.

Edited by shdmn
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Apparently, in your continued enthusiasm to try win silly internet arguments you still are not looking at the data very closely.  ????

I guess that's why they call it dope.

You missed the other links, yes your haste seems to reflect your remark, there is no evidence that youth cannabis has decreased as you claim

A new study has found that Ontario saw nine times more emergency department visits per month for cannabis poisonings in young children after Canada legalized recreational cannabis.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/cannabis-poisoning-in-ont-kids-more-frequent-and-severe-since-legalization-study-1.5730591

Trends in youth cannabis use across cannabis legalization: Data from the COMPASS prospective cohort study

Examination of pre-post cannabis use trends in large cross-sectional and multi-cohort samples.

Youth cannabis use remains common with ever use increasing to 32.4% in 2018/19.

Cross-sectional odds of ever use were significantly higher post-legalization.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211335521000425

(These data suggest that the Cannabis Act has not yet led to the reduction in youth cannabis use envisioned in its public health approach.)

Edited by Bkk Brian

Pushback from the franchisees was to be expected. They are being denied billions in revenue. The extent to which they hassled and extorted the public before was shameful. Now, they are feeling denied. 

Someone in a position of authority has to say No, to the creeps in brown. 

20 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just so you have a point of reference, but then what does this have to do with Thailand and the OP

https://cannigma.com/regulation/cannabis-laws-china/

In China, cannabis is largely viewed negatively and recreational use is completely banned. Under the PRC Criminal Law, cannabis is legally classified as being equivalent to heroin, opium, morphine and cocaine.

Did you bother reading the thread? He claimed that Thailand had no history of cannabis use until the US came during the Vietnam War and asked for proof otherwise. I posted that there was a long history of recreational use in China so it is doubtful that Thailand did not have similar considering the geographic and cultural similarities. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

Did you bother reading the thread? He claimed that Thailand had no history of cannabis use until the US came during the Vietnam War and asked for proof otherwise. I posted that there was a long history of recreational use in China so it is doubtful that Thailand did not have similar considering the geographic and cultural similarities. 

I never saw a link to prove what you posted, If I missed it my apololgies.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

Wrong, I never claimed that, hook up my posts and you'll see what I actually said

52 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I never saw a link to prove what you posted, If I missed it my apololgies.

No problem. I was questioning this post on p3 or 4. 

it was only in the late 60’s when the US army was over here during the Vietnam war that recreational use became a thing and Thai’s started supplying this to the troops, there are no records of how widespread it was in Thai’s though.

40 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Wrong, I never claimed that, hook up my posts and you'll see what I actually said

I was questioning this post

it was only in the late 60’s when the US army was over here during the Vietnam war that recreational use became a thing and Thai’s started supplying this to the troops, there are no records of how widespread it was in Thai’s though.

52 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

I was questioning this post

Ok not my post however you said that "He claimed that Thailand had no history of cannabis use until the US came during the Vietnam War"

Yet when you provided the post you edited it and its clear he is not dismissing earlier use and actually mentions it in food and medical use.

"Ok so ignoring the fictional writings of Daniel Defoe with Robinson Crusoe the earliest documented accounts of cannabis in Thailand or ganga as known here was as a condiment in food and for medical use. it was only in the late 60’s when the US army was over here during the Vietnam war that recreational use became a thing and Thai’s started supplying this to the troops, there are no records of how widespread it was in Thai’s though."

He then refers to recreational use becoming a thing in the late 60's, to me that means more popular and does not rule out previous recreational use.

So your just being a bit pedantic imo. Its actually since been discovered in a post that's that the word Bong actually comes from an old Thai word dating back god knows how long ago so it has been smoked for a very long time.

Here's a link:

Cannabis has historically been used in Southeast Asia as: an ingredient, a condiment in foods, a medicine and a source of fiber. The most well known historical example of Cannabis being used as a spice in Thailand is boat noodle soup (kway teeow rua - น้ำซุปก๋วยเตี๋ยวเรือ). Thailand’s association with the recreational use of Cannabis first sprang into the international public spotlight during the late 60s. The 1960’s was marked by social upheaval in the U.S.

http://thailawforum.com/history-of-marijuana-cannabis-thailand.html

Edited by Bkk Brian

18 hours ago, peter zwart said:

That has led to an explosion in its recreational use, something that government officials - concerned about negative effects on health and productivity often linked to uncontrolled use of the drug - have retropectively tried to discourage.

In Thailand????????? ????

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/thailand-cannabis-cafes-tourism/index.html

Good link and back on topic. This could provide a hint for one of the new regs that will be published:

A parliamentary committee is now debating a bill to regulate cannabis use that is expected to finalize in September and could impact the cannabis cafes. Akira Wongwan, a medical cannabis entrepreneur and one of the committee's advisers, said she expected recreational use to be subject to zoning laws.

So one of the business owners is on the committee........lol I wonder how many others. Looks like zoning may be one of the regs they are looking at so no doubt they'll be sorting their properties out before its all published.

Zoning could mean for both growing and selling, away from schools etc, have to wait and see.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Ok not my post however you said that "He claimed that Thailand had no history of cannabis use until the US came during the Vietnam War"

Yet when you provided the post you edited it and its clear he is not dismissing earlier use and actually mentions it in food and medical use.

"Ok so ignoring the fictional writings of Daniel Defoe with Robinson Crusoe the earliest documented accounts of cannabis in Thailand or ganga as known here was as a condiment in food and for medical use. it was only in the late 60’s when the US army was over here during the Vietnam war that recreational use became a thing and Thai’s started supplying this to the troops, there are no records of how widespread it was in Thai’s though."

He then refers to recreational use becoming a thing in the late 60's, to me that means more popular and does not rule out previous recreational use.

So your just being a bit pedantic imo. Its actually since been discovered in a post that's that the word Bong actually comes from an old Thai word dating back god knows how long ago so it has been smoked for a very long time.

Here's a link:

Cannabis has historically been used in Southeast Asia as: an ingredient, a condiment in foods, a medicine and a source of fiber. The most well known historical example of Cannabis being used as a spice in Thailand is boat noodle soup (kway teeow rua - น้ำซุปก๋วยเตี๋ยวเรือ). Thailand’s association with the recreational use of Cannabis first sprang into the international public spotlight during the late 60s. The 1960’s was marked by social upheaval in the U.S.

http://thailawforum.com/history-of-marijuana-cannabis-thailand.html

I dont understand why you say I am being pedantic. The initial post was that Thais have been smoking it for centuries for which Coolcarer requested proof. I posted about 17th century Crusoe which he replied  with the post you quoted claiming historical use in Thailand was only for food and medicine.  I replied that in Chinese 3rd century AD it was written that the Daoists put cannabis in a burner and inhaled the smoke to enjoy the psychoactive properties. I would describe that as recreational use and could not be classed as medicinal or food. He replied that Thailand was not China. My reply that you objected to alluded to the great cultural impact China has had on Thailand which is obvious in the widespread celebration of Chinese New Year. To think that recreational use of cannabis stopped at the Chinese border and was not popular in Thailand till the 1960's, nearly 1700 years later to me is hard to believe. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1