Is anti-virus software needed with Linux.

Deserted

6 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it is sort of on topic :

What computer security is now needed for Windows 10 ?

The inbuilt one "windows security" Don't visit any dodgy websites or open suspicious emails and attachments or install and use suspicious software's.

Edited by userabcd

19 hours ago, gargamon said:

I run Linux exclusively on my laptops and desktops for at least the last 10 years. I use no antivirus or firewall software on any of them and have had no problem.

You need to realize the virus cretators target the most prevalent systems which are obviously windows and apple. With linux being a comparably much smaller segment, they have little reason to target it.

Your firewall has no reason to be in your laptop/desktop regardless of the OS. Much better to do that in your router.

Well that's what I thought, hence the reason that I asked. I just assmued Linux itself wasn't yet popular enough for anyone to bother making viruses. I don't know what percentage of computer users use Linux but I would expect it to be very low and less than 1%. If I were writing viruses, there would seem no point in targeting Linux because there is so little to gain.

Good to hear some Linux users don't use either. I think I would have already had a problem if I did need them and there has been no such things bad happen at all.  

In my 20+ years of using Linux I have never used a antivirus, and I have never had a virus..

Of course there are linux Vulnerabilities found once in a while, but they are not targeting the regular joe browsing the web at all! and they are patched fast in updates for your distro.

As already stated above, the bad guys only work where the money is, and when they have to choose where to spend there time earning money, linux is not worth it at all..

Your "antivirus" is keeping your distro updated.

• Like 1

I've been a Linux user for 12 years and have never had an issue, there is a basic firewall that comes with most distros, I'm currently using Linux Mint, this I have enabled, but I don't have any antivirus/malware software. It's not easy for malware to thrive in the Linux environment, nothing is going to run unless you're prone to typing in your sudo password without thinking, most people don't.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 4:15 PM, gargamon said:

I run Linux exclusively on my laptops and desktops for at least the last 10 years. I use no antivirus or firewall software on any of them and have had no problem.

You need to realize the virus cretators target the most prevalent systems which are obviously windows and apple. With linux being a comparably much smaller segment, they have little reason to target it.

Your firewall has no reason to be in your laptop/desktop regardless of the OS. Much better to do that in your router.

spot on.

as a private linux user you have little to worry about indiscriminate random viruses/attacks.

things are different when you make yourself a valuable target, for example when you are an organization or using specialized software targeted by hackers.
linux is as vulnerable as other OS, it's just seldom the target of viruses.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, tgw said:

spot on.

as a private linux user you have little to worry about indiscriminate random viruses/attacks.

things are different when you make yourself a valuable target, for example when you are an organization or using specialized software targeted by hackers.
linux is as vulnerable as other OS, it's just seldom the target of viruses.

That's not true. The permissions setup is completely different where linux will not allow ordinary users to install software without a password and that includes malware. Linux is less vulnerable than windows and about the same as mac OS which is also a debian linux.

7 hours ago, Deserted said:

But correct me if I am wrong, viruses and all things with malicious script are written for windows systems, and it's a very high percentage. Like 99% or something. Windows is the target almost always?

That's half the story. The bulk of desktop and laptop systems are Windows while servers are almost all linux. The main purpose of viruses is ultimately to steal passwords etc so as to steal money so they tend to target the local machines operated by an idiot person rather than a server which is usually locked down tightly.

Viruses require admin access or a password to install on linux but Windows leaves this barrier open so viruses can self install easily.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2022 at 2:15 AM, ozimoron said:

That's not true. The permissions setup is completely different where linux will not allow ordinary users to install software without a password and that includes malware.

On 8/5/2022 at 9:25 PM, ozimoron said:

Viruses require admin access or a password to install on linux

please stop spreading misinformation.

a malware for Linux runs perfectly fine with user privileges and does not need to "install" itself with root privileges.

Linux is less vulnerable than windows

linux is same vulnerable as windows and in some aspects it is even more vulnerable.

and about the same as mac OS which is also a debian linux.

lol

On 8/5/2022 at 1:57 PM, Deserted said:

But correct me if I am wrong, viruses and all things with malicious script are written for windows systems, and it's a very high percentage. Like 99% or something. Windows is the target almost always?

it was like that 20-something years ago, and about 5 years ago Linux became the primary target already.

45 minutes ago, fdsa said:

please stop spreading misinformation.

a malware for Linux runs perfectly fine with user privileges and does not need to "install" itself with root privileges.

linux is same vulnerable as windows and in some aspects it is even more vulnerable.

lol

show me a malware that has ever run on a linux machine in the wild, with user privileges.

On 8/16/2022 at 4:17 PM, fdsa said:

google:// "hand of thief"

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/hand-of-thief-malware-could-be-dangerous-if-you-install-it/

"The good news is that Hand of Thief must have the root (or sudo) password in order to install. If you don’t enter the password, it can’t add itself to your machine."

• Like 1

We live in such interesting times with the internet! I could be an astronaut or a nuclear physicist.. even an linux expert! and no would know if I just googled the "know how" and pretended that I knew it all ????

6 minutes ago, John8 said:

We live in such interesting times with the internet! I could be an astronaut or a nuclear physicist.. even an linux expert! and no would know if I just googled the "know how" and pretended that I knew it all ????

Apart from the sheer complexity of Windows and the dozens of mouse clicks required to get anything done in the operating system, I have just spent 12 years not even thinking about antivirus or malware software, let alone install and maintain them, or heaven forbid, actually have to deal with a virus or ransomware. Imagine how much productivity that has earned me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Apart from the sheer complexity of Windows and the dozens of mouse clicks required to get anything done in the operating system, I have just spent 12 years not even thinking about antivirus or malware software, let alone install and maintain them, or heaven forbid, actually have to deal with a virus or ransomware. Imagine how much productivity that has earned me.

That is true, I have never worried about viruses or malware in all the years I have been using linux, but windows! I still remember my first virus in windows 98se haha! the one that made fireworks on the screen and the one that keept rebooting my pc in Win XP ????

There have been lots of vulnerabilities in linux in the years, but thats it.. vulnerabilities! and very very rarely viruses or malware.. I am pretty sure you can google the famous few viruses made for linux.

Viruses and malware is not that big a thing anymore in any OS, you should worry more about scams and phishing or getting your account passwords stolen.

antiviruses today focus more on blocking access to malicious websites and child safety.. etc.

the closest thing to viruses today are ransomware, but they generaly have to hack your pc and get control of it to plant the malware.

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2022 at 3:59 PM, Stocky said:

"The good news is that Hand of Thief must have the root (or sudo) password in order to install. If you don’t enter the password, it can’t add itself to your machine."

I've mistaken it with some other malware, "hand of thief" is just the first name that I've recalled.

Still there is plenty of userland malware that does not require root privileges.

• Haha 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Firewall:
Open a terminal window:  Type:
sudo ufw enable 

That should enable your firewall if it isn't already.

I'm a Linux Mint guy, but it's based on Ubuntu so you should be able to do the same.

Look online how to install clamav on your version of Ubuntu.
Then install the Graphical User Interface clamtk.

Clamtk is intuitive enough to figure out without burning too many braincells.

Most version of Linux are pretty resilient.  Make sure you have a user account and a super-user account and only use the latter when you need to do maintenance on your system.

• Thumbs Up 2