Medical tourism? Right, double-charging foreigners!

8 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Stop complain. You get nice weather for free. Of course they will over charge. We are seen as easy targets. Just ask the bar girls.

Hahah nice weather if by that you mean HOT ok

But nice weather does not happen in a place with Thailand's air quality (yes partly due to its neighbors too)

• Like 1

I smell a lot of apologists replying here. Sure, medical care is cheaper in Thailand than in the West. That a corrupt court or tourism promoter says it's 'legal', that's much different than 'fair'. Human bodies are all warm whether Thai or foreign & must be treated the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Dentists are cheap

Soon after I arrived to live in Thailand I had to consult a dentist, who told me I had to have three teeth extracted. I thought not, left, and 30 years later I still have those teeth. Dentists might be cheap, but they can scam the same as anyone else here if there's money to be made.

Closer related to hospitals, a friend of mine was feeling very sorry for himself and felt in need of some TLC, and he made up a story that he had suffered whiplash in a taxi accident and was taken to a hospital. They not only confirmed a non-existent neck injury but produced an x-ray of it and said he needed to stay in overnight for observation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, unblocktheplanet said:

No, both are two hours.

so still yanhee is 11k cheaper.

You can approach somdech for thai price, arguing that you are resident in thailand, that you pay cash and that insurance doesn't cover it. Go with a thai person, wife. Possible with somebody from medical profession, even nurse. Or a military, even marine officer - active or retired. I have a retired marine officer brother in law, who served in bangkok on chao phraya base, lives next to me in Thonburi.

Show them yanhee quotation, which is 550b cheaper for foreigners, than this 4k in somdech.

if they refuse thai price give them offer for 3450b, same as charged at yanhee. 

As chamber requires a group of patients offer them time flexibility and notice of appointment at short time. When they have any cancellation from patients you jump in their place.

If you can explain me why do you think this treatment might work. What is diagnosis or what is your suspicion. Why an ordinary portable oxygen generator can't be tried first, which is much cheaper to use and can treat yourself at home (I have such generator at home). Thanx 

Edited by internationalism

11 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

but, at the end of my treatment, Commander-in-Chief Admiral Somprasong Nilsamai, the Minister of Defence & his Permanent Secretary (could change any minute), the Chief Medical Officer of the Royal Thai Navy, the Naval Secewtariat & Inspector General and the hospital's medical director will be advised by my lawyers they are in violation of Section 27 of the Thai Constitution 2560:

Yeah, that'll show 'em!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

That was quick. Only third post of the thread to get a smug, patronising "If you don't like it here you should leave" post.

I see it as a self respect thing. If you don’t have any you’ll happily pay more and justify it by telling yourself all Thai people are poor.

Edited by Fairynuff
Typo
  • Haha 1

Yo, Plane T - sorry for your condition. 

There is so much over charging, double charging, discriminate charging in my home country that I would not expect any different in a foreign country.. it is just a matter of being accustomed to the different ways of charging that are particular to my homeland that makes it seemingly unjust when you are faced with different pricing policies here. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

overcharged in comparison to what - foreigners are not entitled to Thai 30 baht medical care... why should they be... the medical tourists come here because care is usually both cheaper and better than back home. 

This is their choice... 

you know exactly what I mean, or at least you should, so your comment is pointless.

11 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Go elsewhere to a cheaper  place.

BINGO, the hospital i use in Korat is a public university hospital and it charges me a pittance compared to the private hospitals here.

I know as i've paid bills in both hospital networks.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have an idea. Go to Australia (without eligible to claim this condition under any insurance) and see what such treatment would cost you there? Oh, and you'll get far les genteel, kind, sweet, and attentive care in Australia too by the way.

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd been coming to LOS since 2009 (specifically came for medical dental tourism) and every year since.

I live here now as a retiree with great international health insurance.

I've had 4 colonoscopies in that time, dozens of dental procedures (some quite large and complex), medical check-ups etc, and was always charged very reasonably and given the very, very best of care compared to Australia.

This 13 years of care always, by far, exceeded the care I have had in my home nation of Oz and experienced anywhere else in the world. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

Why an ordinary portable oxygen generator can't be tried first, which is much cheaper to use and can treat yourself at home (I have such generator at home). Thanx 

Hyperbaric O2 treatment is vastly different from a portable oxygen generator.

For 1 unless you are rather less intelligent than you seem you will not be using 100% O2 without medical supervision as 100% O2 is an extremely corrosive gas that without intervals of air breathing will leave permanent scaring. 

So no reputable O2 supplementation will use more than 30%

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

I’ve never been overcharged by a bar girl……..

Easy easy! Overcharge, is connected to the medical tourism. Easy targets, is connected to the bar girls. I beg you to excuse my earlier poor explanation. ????

4 hours ago, mania said:

Hahah nice weather if by that you mean HOT ok

But nice weather does not happen in a place with Thailand's air quality (yes partly due to its neighbors too)

complaining, complaining, complaining. I could be worse..... ???? 

57 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Hyperbaric O2 treatment is vastly different from a portable oxygen generator.

For 1 unless you are rather less intelligent than you seem you will not be using 100% O2 without medical supervision as 100% O2 is an extremely corrosive gas that without intervals of air breathing will leave permanent scaring. 

So no reputable O2 supplementation will use more than 30%

looks, like he has no tumor diagnosis or any other illness. Trying first a cheaper option, readily available, to check what effect it will have, than getting one with potential serious side effects, should be a better option.

No home oxygen generator makes 100% o2, no need for it. I think max is 93% and at low volume around 1 litre per minute (that can be stored in a special plastic/balloon coming with the compressor). 

I have briefly checked on HBO and oxygen therapy for cancer, and looks like it's not used on it's own - rather supportive to chemo and radio. Also HBO can used after radio to lessen side effects

Edited by internationalism