Ten convenience stores, gas station in Thailand’s Deep South fire-bombed

webfact

On 8/17/2022 at 1:40 PM, AhFarangJa said:

Build a 30 metre high wall across the country with no gates. topped with electrified barbed wire. Then let them regress back to the middle ages where they belong.

good idea or get the army off its ass and go get rid of the problem Permanently..Stoke up the fires at the temples

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 8/17/2022 at 3:24 PM, dpcjsr said:

From his comments it is clear that MarcelV has no problem with violence which is typical of muslims in general. This kind of thing needs to be totally squashed. The Thai military is too kind with these terrorist. Take them down now before they spread even more. 

Absolutely correct

On 8/17/2022 at 1:49 PM, MarcelV said:

Better: give them the autonomy they desire.

On one condition, all followers of the cult move there from other areas of Thailand, rather like when Pakistan was formed, only without the death toll! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Stocky said:

Well that's because it is an insurgency, an armed rebellion against an occupying force, no one has declared a jihad. This is a dispute about recognition, recognition that the Pattani States have their own history, culture, language and religion. A recognition that the land was carved up and apportioned between British Malaya and Siam with no reference or asking the people that live there and a rejection of the policy of 'Thaification'.

Before anyone suggests I condone the violence, no I don't, but I at least understand why the people are angry.

you "understand" that a very small minority are angry , having been whipped up into a frenzy by a handful of violent extremists , very thinly  disguised  as men of "god"   

• Like 2

On 8/17/2022 at 1:49 PM, MarcelV said:

Better: give them the autonomy they desire.

And prove to the rest of them worldwide  that terrorism is the way forward ! oh yes, that would be brilliant idea 

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Part of the problem in the South of Thailand is that the military don't want the violence to end as they will have nothing to do.

Another part of the problem is that the Thai government seems to talk at, rather than talk to, the extremists.

Another part of the problem is that there are a number of groups down there that don't even talk to each other.

I don't think the military wants the conflict to continue for its own sake, or to have something to do.

There are a lot of criminal elements in the region that thrive on unrest and an ungovernable state. They for sure don't want to see their supply lines of narcotics, weapons, people, gasoline etc. being disrupted by Thai law enforcers.

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Strange post.

From your comments it is clear to me that you have little idea of what is going on or even the history behind it.

A small history lesson for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patani_Kingdom

Patani, or the Sultanate of Patani (Jawi: كسلطانن ڤطاني) was a Malay sultanate in the historical Pattani Region. It covered approximately the area of the modern Thai provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and part of the northern modern-day Malaysia it is Kelantan. The 2nd–15th century state of Langkasuka and 6–7th century state of Pan Pan may or may not have been related.

The golden age of Patani started during the reign of the first of its four successive queens, Raja Hijau (The Green Queen), who came to the throne in 1584 and was followed by Raja Biru (The Blue Queen), Raja Ungu (The Purple Queen) and Raja Kuning (The Yellow Queen). During this period the kingdom's economic and military strength was greatly increased to the point that it was able to fight off four major Siamese invasions. It had declined by the late 17th century and it was invaded by Siam in 1786, which eventually absorbed the state after its last raja was deposed in 1902.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patani

The Patani region has historical affinities with the Singgora (Songkhla), Ligor (Nakhon Si Thammarat), Lingga (near Surat Thani) and Kelantan sultanates dating back to the time when the Patani Kingdom was a semi-independent Malay sultanate paying tribute to the Siamese kingdoms of Sukhothai and Ayutthaya. After Ayutthaya fell to the Burmese in 1767, the Sultanate of Patani gained full independence, but under King Rama I, it again came under Siam's control.

In recent years a secessionist movement has sought the establishment of a Malay Islamic state, Patani Darussalam, encompassing the three southern Thai provinces. This campaign has taken a particularly violent turn after 2001, resulting in an intractable insurgency across southern Thailand and the imposition of martial law.

I had no problems with the Muslims that I worked with in Qatar, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, Egypt, Kuwait, Sri Lanka, Pakistan or Bangladesh.

Typically I found them friendly and helpful as most of the people that I have met and worked with around the world.

Yes there are a minority who are violent, but that can be said of most people in most countries around the work.

60 years ago Protestants will killing Catholics in Northern Ireland. Would you have had them taken down as well? How about Muslims and Hindus in India ,or Hindus/ Buddhists and Tamils in Sri Lanka. or Chinese and Malays in Malaysia?

Part of the problem in the South of Thailand is that the military don't want the violence to end as they will have nothing to do.

Another part of the problem is that the Thai government seems to talk at, rather than talk to, the extremists.

Another part of the problem is that there are a number of groups down there that don't even talk to each other.

' had no problems with the Muslims that I worked with in Qatar, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, Egypt, Kuwait, Sri Lanka, Pakistan or Bangladesh.'

You could say the same about working with communists, fascists or scientologists. It's not the people which is the problem it's the ideology, and no amount of nice followers or moderates change the nature of the creed they live by to a greater or lesser extent. In the case of Islam that is an intolerant, supremacist one spread by conquest which believes the whole world should ultimately return to islam. They follow a founder whose example was so appalling and whose influence so detrimental that no amount of people having 'no problem' with muslims can alter

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Strange post.

From your comments it is clear to me that you have little idea of what is going on or even the history behind it.

A small history lesson for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patani_Kingdom

Patani, or the Sultanate of Patani (Jawi: كسلطانن ڤطاني) was a Malay sultanate in the historical Pattani Region. It covered approximately the area of the modern Thai provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and part of the northern modern-day Malaysia it is Kelantan. The 2nd–15th century state of Langkasuka and 6–7th century state of Pan Pan may or may not have been related.

The golden age of Patani started during the reign of the first of its four successive queens, Raja Hijau (The Green Queen), who came to the throne in 1584 and was followed by Raja Biru (The Blue Queen), Raja Ungu (The Purple Queen) and Raja Kuning (The Yellow Queen). During this period the kingdom's economic and military strength was greatly increased to the point that it was able to fight off four major Siamese invasions. It had declined by the late 17th century and it was invaded by Siam in 1786, which eventually absorbed the state after its last raja was deposed in 1902.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patani

The Patani region has historical affinities with the Singgora (Songkhla), Ligor (Nakhon Si Thammarat), Lingga (near Surat Thani) and Kelantan sultanates dating back to the time when the Patani Kingdom was a semi-independent Malay sultanate paying tribute to the Siamese kingdoms of Sukhothai and Ayutthaya. After Ayutthaya fell to the Burmese in 1767, the Sultanate of Patani gained full independence, but under King Rama I, it again came under Siam's control.

In recent years a secessionist movement has sought the establishment of a Malay Islamic state, Patani Darussalam, encompassing the three southern Thai provinces. This campaign has taken a particularly violent turn after 2001, resulting in an intractable insurgency across southern Thailand and the imposition of martial law.

I had no problems with the Muslims that I worked with in Qatar, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, Egypt, Kuwait, Sri Lanka, Pakistan or Bangladesh.

Typically I found them friendly and helpful as most of the people that I have met and worked with around the world.

Yes there are a minority who are violent, but that can be said of most people in most countries around the work.

60 years ago Protestants will killing Catholics in Northern Ireland. Would you have had them taken down as well? How about Muslims and Hindus in India ,or Hindus/ Buddhists and Tamils in Sri Lanka. or Chinese and Malays in Malaysia?

History lesson part 2

60 years ago in Ireland both sides were killing each other it was never just protestants killing catholics,  as for the rest of your examples  of conflict   the "religion of peace"  seems to be disproportionally represented (as usual.)   I see little to be gained by talking to or attempting to negotiate with extremists.   The fact that some of these extremist groups don't talk to each other is a positive thing divide and rule being a common military / political tactic.  If they all joined forces it would be a lot worse. To suggest that the Thai military purposely encourage terrorist activity as a form of job creation is beyond incredible  

20 minutes ago, MarcelV said:

I don't think the military wants the conflict to continue for its own sake, or to have something to do.

There are a lot of criminal elements in the region that thrive on unrest and an ungovernable state. They for sure don't want to see their supply lines of narcotics, weapons, people, gasoline etc. being disrupted by Thai law enforcers.

You could equally say the same thing about people in brown or green uniforms.

Extremists who will be happy when they are living in their "free state " under their merciful sharia law  soon enough it will be akin to  Afghanistan. I doubt the general population are really looking forward to that  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Extremists who will be happy when they are living in their "free state " under their merciful sharia law  soon enough it will be akin to  Afghanistan. I doubt the general population are really looking forward to that  

Most Patani Malay Muslims are perfectly happy to live in a conservative Islamic society.

Maybe not as harsh as Afghanistan, but still in line with the original Melayu culture of the region, which is as conservative as it goes in Thailand.

FYI, I am a farang teacher living in the region and I don't care either way. I didn't come here to change the people's way of life, and I respect all cultures and all religions.

If I didn't like it, I wouldn't be here, now would I?

39 minutes ago, MarcelV said:

Most Patani Malay Muslims are perfectly happy to live in a conservative Islamic society.

Maybe not as harsh as Afghanistan, but still in line with the original Melayu culture of the region, which is as conservative as it goes in Thailand.

FYI, I am a farang teacher living in the region and I don't care either way. I didn't come here to change the people's way of life, and I respect all cultures and all religions.

well good for you, but i don't care whether you like it or not,  why would I?   But if you are so comfortable in a conservative muslim society then there are other places you may feel even more at home

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

Especially the gays, trans and women!

54 minutes ago, MarcelV said:

I think a person has to be either naive or ignorant to respect all cultures and all religions, they are not all equal, and some are downright evil. Why respect a religion/culture which practices female genital mutilation, forced marriage, sometimes of children, hatred and killing of homosexuals and in which followers of other religions are described as pigs and monkeys in their 'holy' book?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, proton said:

I think a person has to be either naive or ignorant to respect all cultures and all religions, they are not all equal, and some are downright evil. Why respect a religion/culture which practices female genital mutilation, forced marriage, sometimes of children, hatred and killing of homosexuals and in which followers of other religions are described as pigs and monkeys in their 'holy' book?

The Bible isn't exactly discrete in its graphic descriptions and verses either.

It's not about religion. It's about the followers.

Some Christians are misled, just like some Muslims. That doesn't take away from the fact that most people of faith are peaceful, tolerant and do not listen to extremist preachers or imams.

I can recommend you visit the beautiful provinces of the Deep South for a short holiday and see with your own eyes how the local people live here. Experience their hospitality.

Edited by MarcelV
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MarcelV said:

The Bible isn't exactly discrete in its graphic descriptions and verses either.

It's not about religion. It's about the followers.

Some Christians are misled, just like some Muslims. That doesn't take away from the fact that most people of faith are peaceful, tolerant and do not listen to extremist preachers or imams.

I can recommend you visit the beautiful provinces of the Deep South for a short holiday and see with your own eyes how the local people live here. Experience their hospitality.

Wondered how long it would be before the old testament got brought up as a deflection, actually it's not about the followers as they are just as much victims as the people being killed. It's always about the religious dogma, and in this case the life example of the prophet. Always interesting to compare his life with that of Jesus, as you brought the bible into it. One was a warlord, thief, polygamist who married a child, who had people put to death for offending him and who was a slave owner who preached retribution and violence and intolerance against unbelievers and apostates, the other was Jesus. I would say the people in the south are hospitable in spite of, not because of the nonsense they follow.

31 minutes ago, proton said:

not because of the nonsense they follow

All religion is nonsense.

Religion is only one facet of the issues in the South. The primary grievance is the issue of recognition. The 2006 report of the National Reconciliation Commission was accepted by the Thaksin government but rejected by the Privy Council, the stumbling block being the recognition of Pattani-Malay (Yawi) as a working language in the region, Prem Tinsulanonda stated "The country is Thai and the language is Thai" so an opportunity for peace was lost.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2022 at 3:58 PM, KhaoNiaw said:

That's a big part of the problem already. The army committing atrocities that keep things stirred up and alienate the local population. 

possible Correct but without the Correct..as in Correct use of troops a end is not insight..just to let them run riot and not be controlled is giving them carte blanch..

haven't we seen this in UK where the authorities have been afraid to address the problems of certain religions..there has to be a medium ..just saying