Prominent Thai doctors against extended nightlife closing times, claim tourists don’t come to Thailand to party but for beaches and temples

webfact

1 hour ago, kevc said:

He must be a friend of the copper that said people go to Pattaya for the nature not for the bars.

Pattaya, phuket and Bkk are also heavily dependent on a vibrant nightlife with established businesses to cater for those needs longer opening dosent always mean more drinking

hardened drinkers do it all day long and are unlikely to be around at 4am

A hint of nimbyism has crept into covid reopening

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, portlandtree said:

who cares if they are dumb enough to get that drunk only ones that will die is them and other drunks as there isn't nobody out there but drunk dummies

There seem to be many on here who "care"  a little too much, about the leisure activities of others. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

Personally I came to Thailand through a deep desire to be lectured by a small group of excessively puritanical senior members of the medical profession.

Not to mention a few members of this forum who seem obsessed about placing restrictions on other peoples activities, 

• Like 1

Tell those medical clowns at they might vouch for one price policies on temples, natural parks etc. plus their ever-so-almighty government to teach the kiddies to learn basic English. 

Until then, the dirty farang and alien prefer to get laid in the houses of ill repute by the fairies against much more cash which seems to be only a problem for the medici thailandesi! 

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Be honest, these days I visit a temple more than a bar, but then again I visit maybe 1 temple a year. Bars were great 20 years ago when I was single and before my wife, I feel going to a bar without being able to take a women home with you, is like going to see a movie without the film after the national anthem 

Feeling that way when leaving a bar alone could be symptoms of sex addiction, maybe one of those "doctors" could help you

Edited by Bday Prang

These "prominent" doctors no doubt also agree with charging tourists a premium for the second rate medical treatment they may require. They were probably involved in the proposals, Another "great" idea that may not guarantee "the boosting of the economy" or indeed further their desire to become a medical hub

• Like 1

I like a couple of wines per day but i think it would be a mistake for bars to stay open until 4AM. It will lead to drunken violence, road accidents, etc. and tourists will spend their money anyhow, whether it's at 4AM this morning or 6PM the next day. I think I good compromise would be 1AM or 2AM.

Researchers should ask all the farang boozers in the bars how many temples they have visited.

31 minutes ago, Millcx said:

Nobody comes for Temples .. Let’s be honest and cut the rubbish statements … “;0)

Yes, the crowds (in no Covid times) at temples, museums and monuments are all illusions of Samsara. But what are you saying? Plenty of Asians, some Indians, Arabs don't have time to go there so busy between malls and luxury hotels, and then there are many Westerners who don't feel like dying idiots. 

Edited by martand
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, WinterGael said:

Well, right off the start I have to comment on where tourists go.  From my experience, you want to be around Westerners,  go to the bars and party roads.  You want to be around non Westerners,  go to wats and cultural venues.  Even at high tourist times, when my wife and I go to a wat, oft times I am the only Westerner there, even at some of the most famous ways.

That said, I am in 100% agreement with maintaining at a minimum the present rules governing the sale of alcohol.  They are already more lenient than in my home country, so why should Thailand want tourists to act differently here than they would at home? I find the concept that Thailand must sell its soul for the pleasure of tourist dollars (which really do not affect the majority) to be deeply disturbing.  And so do Thais.

Over the past few years, due to COVID, my friends and family have been enjoying the beaches and recreational attractions around Thailand.  For almost all of them, it is a first. This surprised me, but then they tell me that before there were too many tourists and they did not feel comfortable going with all the "farangs" there.  I know many really dislike places like Pataya and Phuket where it seems being Thai is being second class.

I find the concept that you "don't understand " why tourists wish to behave any differently on holiday  than they would at home to be  deeply disturbing too , especially the fact that you would seek to limit their activities and  bring them into line with restrictions in your home country, Where ever that might be

Would you agree if a Saudi Arabian made such a statement ?  

To suggest that allowing night clubs to open to 4am is akin to  Thailand "selling its soul" is indicative of your ignorance of Thailand and nearly as laughable as your assertion that the revenue from tourism benefits only a minority  <deleted>. ?

Obviously you would prefer that Covid restrictions are reintroduced and that "other" people should generally be discouraged from visiting in order that your "friends and family " may feel less uncomfortable,  MIght I suggest, that rather than allowing or hoping for  the continuing decimation of the tourist industry here,  your friends and family might like to consider visiting another  country more appropriate for their sensitivities North Korea springs to mind, not to many farangs there I would imagine 

How on earth is being Thai in either Pattaya or Phuket equivalent  to being "second class" (whatever that actually means)

5 hours ago, ronster said:

Simple solution , just ban tourists from coming !

Makes out like they are all here to drink drive and cause mayhem . ????????

Just ban alcoholics and you would do both Thailand and the people a favour. Why the people you ask? Well if they didn't come here they would not have to pay for a hotel or flight and they could get really smashed with that extra money back home.

8 hours ago, mania said:

555 no actually most do come for bars & girls BUT...I agree opening till 4am is a recipe for even more road deaths

Folks can get plenty drunk enough by 12 or 1 

Edited by PETERTHEEATER
Incorrect post deleted