Fixed bank deposit pattaya

Good morning

Im up for my renewed extension of stay based on marriage to a thai national on the 26 th septrmber. I deposited 400k in a fixed deposit account for 12 months due in October 2022. Prior to my renewal i asked t he immigration in pattaya what documents I would require. The immigration officer insisted i would need a bank Statement and bank book update. I dont understand for a fixed deposit does not bear any update and a bank Statement. ? 

Wbr

Roobaa01

Bank Statement is AFAIK a Bank Letter (Just tell the Bank, letter for Immigration)

Re: Update. What I did was on the day I went to Immigration, I transferred Money (1000 THB orso) into the Fixed Account via Online Banking. Then went into the Bank got the letter and they updated the Bank Book which had the updated balance of that day

This was with Bangkok Bank, but YMMV

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

You are wrong, @roobaa01, the only "fixed" thing about your account is the interest rate you get, if you don't touch the money before the end of the term. 

You could however withdraw anytime (loosing interest) and therefore going under the required 400K.

Your fixed deposit account will therefore be treated by immigration as a standard deposit account, so you need an updated bank book (best with an additional deposit of 1K at the day of getting the update), and the letter from your bank stating that the money was always there.

26 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Bank Statement is AFAIK a Bank Letter (Just tell the Bank, letter for Immigration)

Re: Update. What I did was on the day I went to Immigration, I transferred Money (1000 THB orso) into the Fixed Account via Online Banking. Then went into the Bank got the letter and they updated the Bank Book which had the updated balance of that day

This was with Bangkok Bank, but YMMV

A 'Fixed Deposit' is just that..a fixed amount for a fixed period.

I believe it is not possible to add during the fixed period, unless cancelling the old deposit and renewing. I know this is true at Bangkok bank.

So please explain how you can add to your Fixed Deposit.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

I believe it is not possible to add during the fixed period, unless cancelling the old deposit and renewing. I know this is true at Bangkok bank.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Fixed-Deposit-Account

Note: Deposits into a Fixed Deposit account or Sinmathaya Subthawee account via Bualuang ATMs, Cash Deposit Machines, Bualuang Phone, Bualuang iBanking and Bualuang mBanking can be made between 6:00a.m.-11:00p.m.

After you deposit, the date it matures is then the following year.

If I get home I will upload a picture of the Fixed Deposit I have at BBL, I have been doing this for as many years I was on Extension based on marriage

Edited by MJCM

26 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Here you go, I had a copy on my Phone.

Look at 6-1-2022 Transfer IN 2000 THB

And 6 January was the day I got my Bank Letter and went to Immigration with the updated Balance

fd.JPG

Edit: This is my Bangkok Fixed Deposit account. (orange coloured Bank Book)

Edited by MJCM

23 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Here the one for SCB

https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/deposits/fixed-deposit-account/fixed-deposit-account.html

Fixed deposit offers you the option to make a deposit at any time you want, whether it is short-term deposits, long-term deposits, low-risk deposits, and credit facilities.

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

No idea how they handle the update on request.

I asked them about that and they said it will take a couple of hours for it to update (I am Confused about that as transferring money over with Internet Banking immediately updates the balance on the FD as well, but so be it).

So what I do, on the day of going to the Bank and Immigration, early morning transfer money into the FD, go to the bank (opens at 10:30) have them make the bank letter and update the bank book, and then at 13:00 go to immigration.

At Bangkok Bank no need to add anything to fixed account,

just tell the cashier to update the book , up here in Chiang Mai

Immigration require a years bank statement , which at Bangkok

Banks takes up to 7 days , I say up to, usually faster.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

What I have done is put 800k in my Bank account ( I don't mess about with marriage visa takes to long) I have put it in for a 3 year fixed term. You get more interest that way. Go into the bank on the day I'm doing my visa and they for 200bht do a letter, update the bank book and do a copy of B/B. All are presented to the visa office with the usual copies and photos sorted in around 30 Min: I like to make life easy. N/B Of cause you can do the same with 400k saves all the messing about updating you deposit monies every year. Every 3 years I just renew for another 3 years. You can do that weeks after your 3 year term runs out as they will carry it forward till you go in.    

Edited by fredob43

15 hours ago, worgeordie said:

At Bangkok Bank no need to add anything to fixed account,

just tell the cashier to update the book , up here in Chiang Mai

Immigration require a years bank statement , which at Bangkok

Banks takes up to 7 days , I say up to, usually faster.

regards worgeordie

Also BKB in CM, the now extinct Kad Suan Kaeo Branch. Every year I would go in, ask "Letter for Immigration please", present orange (fixed deposit) passbook and passport, pay 100 B, and off with the letter within a few minutes. I hope it will be the same at the new Chang Pueak branch.

Edited by arithai12
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, The Theory said:

Immigration (CW , CM) never asked me for any "statement" of my fixed deposit account. 

Bank letter, updated book and copies only. 

Likewise at CW for retirement.  Most recent bankbook entry is always an interest payment 2+ months prior to  visit (although one year the IO had to ask her boss what to do).  Otherwise, practice == The Theory:  bank letter, book, and copies only. 

-- Retiree 

10 minutes ago, The Theory said:

I update my bank book almost every month. It shows that the fund is in there all months of year, help IO trace the fund by dates. 

I use CW have fixed bank account.

Stay  in draw all year and I deposit 1000b on day of obtaining bank letter and copy of bank book pages. 

Another question please?

It has been 3 months since my last extension (retirement).

I am currently with the BKK Bank.

I am considering opening a separate SCB account, putting 800k in it and forgetting about it. Only to be used for extensions.

In 9 months time when I come to do the next extension and if they ask for 12 months bank statements  it will only be able to show the money has been in for 9 months and not for 3 months at the start, after my current extension.

Hope that makes sense?

Will this be a problem?

2 minutes ago, OnTheLash said:

In 9 months time when I come to do the next extension and if they ask for 12 months bank statements  it will only be able to show the money has been in for 9 months and not for 3 months at the start, after my current extension.

Show both bank books when you apply to show you maintained the 800k baht. Just be sure there is only a short period of time while the funds are being transferred.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Show both bank books when you apply to show you maintained the 800k baht. Just be sure there is only a short period of time while the funds are being transferred.

Thanks Joe,

What about the bank statements for the first 3 months? Are they required?

19 minutes ago, OnTheLash said:

What about the bank statements for the first 3 months? Are they required?

If your bank book has been updated it should not be needed. You could also get a 3 month statement before you close the account.

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I was informed many years ago that the monies cannot be in a fixed term account. The IO want to see movement in your account. If not, what are you living on? 

It is possible, in fact quite common, to have a fixed account of 800k where you never touch the money (well you can transfer away the accrued interest if you want), and in parallel a normal checking account. The "living expenses" would be on the latter. Sometimes the IO asks to see that also, not always.

The other configuration is to have a single checking account, where you have to show with a yearly statement that you respected the rules (800k for some months, at least 400k in the rest, speaking for retirement). This is what you have probably chosen, to each their own.

I have always used the marriage 400k option and i am looking at maybe changing to the retirement 800k option

Do i need the extra 400k in the bank 3 months in advance or would i be able to do it now as my visa is ready to renew in around  2 months time.

I expect its much easier doing a retirement visa .

Is it just a case of showing 800k or is there more bs that is needed?

Edited by kwak250

On 8/22/2022 at 10:46 AM, couchpotato said:

Potato, Thai Banks allow this. ????

I understand that in western world, does not work like that.

• Thanks 1