Is this being racist?

5 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I did not say it was , I asked if it was ,  the clue would be the question mark,     So you are certainly not qualified to teach me or anybody else  English,

What makes you think you are qualified to teach me anything  else      "sir" 

The clue would be in what I said to you. “I am not here to teach you” nor would I want to.

50 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

What about Ginger Haired people? No body picked on worse than them. The butt of many a joke and picked on at school because they are/were different.

The wokies haven't got round to taking offence on behalf of gingers yet,  have you thought of calling yourself "strawberry blonde"   There was a couple of gingers at school with me they had ferocious tempers and rarely got picked on more than once 

5 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

The wokies haven't got round to taking offence on behalf of gingers yet,  have you thought of calling yourself "strawberry blonde"   There was a couple of gingers at school with me they had ferocious tempers and rarely got picked on more than once 

The deplorables will accuse the Wokies of taking offense to that soon no doubt

35 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

My apologies, I did misinterpret your post. No, not ginger hair. Ginger is most definitely reddish while Auburn is darker and more toward Brown.

I never heard of a kid being picked on for having Auburn hair,  are you sure there was no other reason?

40 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

A perfect example of people being able to laugh at them selves and inviting others to do the same   what's the problem?

No one has a problem with it .

They were all on National television and are also on Youtube 

You seem to be on a quest to find people who are upset and offended by things , rather similar to the people who try to find racists and offense in any particular subject .

Like the minority far Left and far Right fighting each other , whilst the majority in the middle are not bothered by it at all 

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I never heard of a kid being picked on for having Auburn hair,  are you sure there was no other reason?

As I mentioned, my hair was thick and curly and that was probably part of the reason. I didn't suffer with a white freckled skin that many ginger haired people have (but have other similar skin traits such as easy to skin burn etc.)

2 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

As I mentioned, my hair was thick and curly and that was probably part of the reason. I didn't suffer with a white freckled skin that many ginger haired people have (but have other similar skin traits such as easy to skin burn etc.)

Seems a bit unusual to be picked on for that reason, mind you kids will be kids and anybody is fair game  ,Were you the only curly haired kid at you school?   I'm not in favour of anybody being picked on for any reason

6 hours ago, ozimoron said:

A racist joke is a racism, wherever it is and no company will tolerate it on their premises or by anyone representing them.

Yes…a racist joke is racism, who would have guessed,

However the joke/comment said was not racist. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No one has a problem with it .

They were all on National television and are also on Youtube 

You seem to be on a quest to find people who are upset and offended by things , rather similar to the people who try to find racists and offense in any particular subject .

Like the minority far Left and far Right fighting each other , whilst the majority in the middle are not bothered by it at all 

Contrary to what you may think I am not on a quest to find anybody, there is no need to search  they tend to appear uninvited normally screaming outrage or accusations .

i freely admit i do despise these people who claim to be offended at the slightest thing  and normally on behalf of others , I also despise the pedantic people who would dictate what can and cannot be said, where does their self appointed authority come from ?   Why would they argue for example that this week "coloured" is ok  but then next week it has to be "people of colour"  and the following week it has to be "black" and any body who doesn't agree (or keep up) is a racist ? who decides which word is in fashion and which is unacceptable, what gives them the right to micro manage the behaviour of others ?  the arrogance is actually unbelievable.

Plenty of things offend me, but I have never called for anything to be banned. Do I consider my self a racist ? of course not Do any of my black and asian friends think I am ?  I don't think so  Do any of the woke think I am racist ? Of course they all do for their own twisted reasons, Including me enjoying a sit-com on Tv when I was 12 years old 

Do I have a right to express my "outrage" at that kind of rubbish ?  if not why not?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TKDfella said:

Seems a strange reason to be picked on however kids will be kids and can often be very unpleasant in some respects. I am not in favour of anybody being picked on for any reason. One of my kids got beat up for wearing the wrong sort of trainers   I could not understand that at all ? 

4 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I have no idea about the Thai language , that's why I didn't answer the first time you asked 

Don't you live here?

I assumed you did, and knew this common word. 

As common as the the 'housebook' that farang call tabien bahn! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Like most people I was brought up a product of my peers and their prejudices. By age 17 I was decidedly anti-racist. Where I came from has the highest indigenous population in Australia and the white population was and still is quite racist. I started travelling at an early age and can honestly say I have never had a shred of a racist attitude toward any race or nationality. I briefly studied sociology and anthropology at uni because I was interested in the curriculum until I realised there was no money in it as a career. Am I prejudiced against far right wingers, you bet, like all extremists. That said, there are far more right wing extremists than left. The domestic terrorism stats in any country support this conclusion in my mind. I'm very much a data driven type of person.

I am anti racist .. but still a little bit racist from time to time. I mean in thought not in deed. 

News Flash: People can often be annoying and I might generalise when I shouldn't. Happy to here you don't.

Having said that, probably all cultures have certain common, but not all encompassing, annoying characteristics. I think you like Bill Maher - he's got his controversial views on aspects of Muslim culture but not Muslims themselves. The line between racism and cultural or religious profiling on the one hand, and making realistic observations about characteristics held by a higher percentage of people within a particular culture compared to a different culture, is problematic and fraught with difficulties. 

You say you are prejudiced against right wingers - don't you mean you disagree with their ideas and the application of the ideas. That's not prejudice unless you are making unfair generalisations. I think it tends to become prejudice when it gets personal, and you sense it can  affect your way of life, making you defensive and more likely to make assumptions about many when the problem may be with the few. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

so what do we call a spade in your woke world? a shovel?

No, the word  spade can be used when talking about gardening tools  .

But the word spade shouldn't be used when talking about Black people 

Spade > Gardening tool = Not offensive 

Spade > Black person = Offensive 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Don't you live here?

I assumed you did, and knew this common word. 

As common as the the 'housebook' that farang call tabien bahn! 

I did live in Thailand , but my Thai language skills and usage of the language are not to a degree where I can comment on word usage or the context words are used in 

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, the word  spade can be used when talking about gardening tools  .

But the word spade shouldn't be used when talking about Black people 

Spade > Gardening tool = Not offensive 

Spade > Black person = Offensive 

I wasn't using it referring to black people.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Why would they argue for example that this week "coloured" is ok  but then next week it has to be "people of colour"  and the following week it has to be "black" and any body who doesn't agree (or keep up) is a racist ?

There seems to be a small minority of vocal people who try to impose themselves as leaders of any given group and what words should be used to describe them .

I, just like most other people don't take much notice of them and just let them get on with it .

Its just a few activists telling anyone who wants to listen .

I just let them get on with it and take no notice of them 

6 hours ago, BonMot said:

It does not. The only Thais that are woke are the lost younger generation largely homosexual and a bunch of girls that think it's cool and enlightened. Meanwhile, they cannot even navigate their own political system and most don't even know what a constitution is.

Woke people are not smart. This is empirical truth. They are also extremely unproductive members of society. Pretty much .... vampires

So let me get this straight.

So. according to you, gay people who are "woke" which is an attack word that can't really be defined because it isn't a real thing, just a cynical political tactic by far right wing people trying to rationalize bigotry and discrimination, aren't actually even human beings. No, they are vampires.

It doesn't surprise any more the extremely toxic and dangerous levels that the global far right wing goes to demonize and dehumanize gay people. First, it's they're "groomers" which is basically a Putin fascist tactic, and  has now graduated to vampires?

The danger in all this is not so called "woke" people. The actual target is the group of racial and sexual minorities that the far right wingers hate so very much and insist on keeping as oppressed underlings (as they are of course in their eyes of superior supremacist value). We have seen this kind of scapegoating in history and now we see it yet again and we know where it leads. The vampire thing, sucking blood indeed mirrors classic European blood libel tropes. People, don't be fooled. This isn't really about woke / anti-woke. 

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I wasn't using it referring to black people.

Oh OK, must have just been a coincidence then .

In a discussion about language that may be considered to be racist , you just coincidently just used the term "Spade" .

What an uncanny coincidence that is 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Have you ever seen half felang kids in Thai schools getting abused because they are different ?

I am talking about village schools where there's just one half felang kid in the whole School .

Where the kid refuses to speak English because the other kids ridicule him for it .

well out in the sticks where I live my "look kreung",  the only one at that school , is actually forbidden to speak english by the "teachers" wonder why that is   lol    and sorry to disappoint you but he has never been picked on except perhaps by "teachers" He was even told in class that I should attend a lesson or two as my English is less than perfect. I went to see the teacher concerned and he refused to discuss the matter in Thai, then  when I tried to discuss the matter in simple English he literally did not have a clue what I was talking about 

20 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

Really can you explain how that sentence proves you are spot on?

I am not qualified to teach you the subtleties of the English language you are the "teacher" work it out for your self , if you can

25 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Oh OK, must have just been a coincidence then .

In a discussion about language that may be considered to be racist , you just coincidently just used the term "Spade" .

What an uncanny coincidence that is 

Do you think I have the unconscious racism the wokes talk about?

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

well out in the sticks where I live my "look kreung",  the only one at that school , is actually forbidden to speak english by the "teachers" wonder why that is   lol    and sorry to disappoint you but he has never been picked on except perhaps by "teachers" He was even told in class that I should attend a lesson or two as my English is less than perfect. I went to see the teacher concerned and he refused to discuss the matter in Thai, then  when I tried to discuss the matter in simple English he literally did not have a clue what I was talking about 

Thanks , but I wasn't talking specifically about your kid