Four takeaways from Prime Minister Prayut’s suspension by the Constitutional Court

webfact

image.jpeg

By Ken Mathis Lohatepanont

In probably the biggest political news in Thailand in a long time, 2014 coup leader and incumbent Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha was suspended by the Constitutional Court to undertake duties as Premier until the court delivers a ruling on his 8-year tenure.

Although the final decision is set to come sometimes in September or possibly in October here are some key takeaways from this.

1. What does the court decision portend for its final ruling?

It is not surprising that the court decided to accept the opposition’s petition on whether General Prayut’s tenure has now breached the 8-year term limit imposed by the constitution. Although the Constitutional Court has not always accepted hot-potato political cases in the past, there was little justification for why the court would not accept a case so clearly under their jurisdiction, and many legal experts expected the court to take this on.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/43340/four-takeaways-from-prime-minister-prayuts-suspension-by-the-constitutional-court/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-08-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Always good reporting from the Thai Enquirer.

They are usually prepared to report the truth rather than the 'political' line. (Unlike many Thai papers.)

Thank you

If you go there this one also pulls no punches:

https://www.thaienquirer.com/43322/opinion-gen-prayut-should-take-the-moral-high-ground-and-step-out-of-politics/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The opposition parties petition was for the court to rule on the constitutionality of Prayut’s tenure. Court accepted the petition 9-0. The suspension was not part of the petition. Court went further to suspend him with 5-4 ruling. Perhaps to give him sufficient time to consider resignation. I think he is done. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

From my bar stool I will watch as some of the most powerful people in Thailand play their games....

Will this news help my finances, immigration experience, discount on Soi 87, or even give me a free 20 baht noodle soup?  no, no it won't.

my dream life remains the same.  Today, I'll walk to 7-11 as 100s of women scream at me for my 200 baht.   I have only 30, so I'll come back alone.  

so for that little money they won't call you "handsome farang"  555

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Always good reporting from the Thai Enquirer.

They are usually prepared to report the truth rather than the 'political' line. (Unlike many Thai papers.)

Thank you

So true....

Yet, you'll be reminded that the Thai Enquirer isn't a hardcopy broadsheet - where it would certainly be banned from existence if it attempted to exist in this form.

The TE, like dozens upon dozens [Thai/English languages] of Thai alternative sources, were born electronically - where it probably enjoys a wider market. 

I do have to wonder if any you folks follow any type of Thai news that's presented in English/European form. I might invite most to follow these developments from a Thai/Thai language perspective, of which there is tonnes of such available. 

Edited by zzaa09