Cardless ATM at Siam Commercial Bank

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

About 30 seconds in the app, if that. You get your one time code instantly in the app, and once you have the code you can use it instantly. You do have to input a few numbers into the ATM (phone number and one time code) but it's a quick process.

I would imagine it's going to also be a good option for guys that send their other half to get some cash from the ATM. This way you don't have to give them your card or PIN number.

But it must only your  bank atm not any cards free atm

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, blackcab said:

You will then be asked for the one time numbered code.

Is this one time numbered code set up when you download the app or do they send you one when you put in your mobile number.

I ask because I never have Wi-Fi when I leave home, and this system sounds better than using the card.

Thx in advance.

10 hours ago, noserious said:

I like cardless withdrawal because I don't need to pay the yearly ATM card fee (200 baht?) at Kasikorn Bank.
Has anyone tried cardless withdrawal using a Thai bank app outside of the kingdom?

Won't work outside of Thailand as the ATMs won't be able to display the correct QR code.

I use Kasikorn and can only use Kasikorn ATMs for the cardless withdrawals.  All other ATMs I have to use the physical card.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, blackcab said:

You need to have the SCB Easy App installed on your telephone.

Open the app, and click Banking Services > Cardless ATM. Select which account you want to withdraw the money from, enter the amount and confirm your mobile number.

The app will then display a one time numbered code.

Immediately you can go to any SCB ATM and press the Cardless ATM button. You will be asked to enter your phone number (the number you previously confirmed in the app). You will then be asked for the one time numbered code.

Once you correctly enter the code the amount of money you requested in the app will be dispensed by the ATM.

It's a good system as it is impossible to clone your plastic card, as your plastic card is never used. It is also convenient if you want to immediately give a family member some cash in an emergency (perhaps night time and they have lost their own card).

Very easy to use if you have the SCB Easy app.

What could happen if your phone is stolen? Think about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why? How?

I lost 2 bank cards in ATMs, for my stupidity (forgot to withdraw them, I wish BKB ATM had a sound alarm or something to remind you to take the card back). The second time I realized it within a few seconds, ran to the branch which was 100m away in the shopping mall to open the ATM and give it to me, the answer was the classical "cannot".

Since then, I am happily converted to the cardless withdrawal. I save the yearly card fee, and have peace of mind with one card less to carry around. You could say it's a complication to need a smartphone and access wifi, compared to inserting a plastic card.

But in fact, I use the BKB banking app for many other things, in primis to pay with Prompt Pay which beats both credit card and cash (IMO). It also gives you an immediate feedback after each payment and withdrawal, so you know what'g going on. So the cardless withdrawal is no extra complication.

Note I am not a big fan of  smart phones, and I try to use it as little as possible.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Seems Bangkok Bank works a bit different.

In the end I use the app to scan a QR code that is displayed on the ATM screen.

After that the money is spit out. Can't remember having entered a number on the ATM.

Maybe there is alternative similar to the above described SCB but I haven't checked.

I use it occasionally because there is no fee nationwide.

As I am always online since a while I should consider using it regularly?

Correct, but you need your personal code for the App after you select "Withdraw ATM".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, blackcab said:

Even if I have my debit card with me I use the cardless option. No chance of getting your card skimmed or cloned if you don't use it.

but one needs to be on line or not

• Like 1

Krungsri uses the app plus 6 digit OTP like SCB
Kasikorn uses the QR code method same as Bangkok Bank 

Anyone know if the phone's location is used as extra security to confirm you're at the ATM?

Edited by Stocky
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It is amazing how much we complicate things in the name of 'progress'.

Modern method: As above. Takes two minutes.

Sensible method: Insert card, key in code, receive money. Takes 20 seconds.

Same with Self Check-In that last week I discovered Air Asia (probably others too) are using. Needs a QR code, which requires using an internet connection and phone (as with ATMs above). Sensible method, seemingly no longer available: Touch screen, key in booking code, receive boarding pass. Takes 20 seconds.

And, with little else available, I had breakfast at McDonalds at Don Muang. Modern way: Go to a screen, scroll through the menus, select item(s), confirm, choose whether to collect from counter or have delivered to your table, choose method of payment. Time, two minutes. Sensible method: Go to counter, give order, pay. Time 20 seconds.

The world is going backwards in the name of 'progress'.

In some ways you're right, except that modern technology offers choice for those who wish for it.

Example...in UK I have one of my MasterCards linked to Google Wallet (formerly Pay) with the App on my phone. When I go to my regular supermarket my loyalty card is also on my phone, ergo my wallet never comes out of my pocket and I self-scan everything. THAT saves me time but I still have the choice to use my loyalty  / credit cards or cash if I choose.

The trick is to make the technology work for you, not the other way around.

• Thanks 1

To add to what Blackcab said,

you need to have mobile internet service on your phone before using cardless ATM. 

So if you do not have internet on your phone, you cannot use cardless ATM but must use your ATM card to withdraw like in the old days.

Edited by EricTh
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1