Woman, 54, gets locked in her bathroom for three days - writes farewell message on the wall before rescue

webfact

I had something similar happen in a high rise building (12th floor).  Wind closed a bedroom door and I was locked inside without my cell phone.  I lived alone.  Something was wrong with the lock and I had to break the doorknob and use it to break the door material/surface around the lock to open the door.  Unfortunately the door was good quality.

Took me about an hour and a half to do this and my hands were in tatters after.  I thought that I may have needed to throw things out a window onto cars below to attract attention to my situation, but it didn't come to that. 555

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

This happened because the lock on the door had been installed the wrong way round. When the door locked she was unable to get out.

So that's why some people always bring their mobile phone with them to the bahtroom, makes good sense now...:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

Yes it’s always a good idea to install locks the proper way.  I have to remember that.. Yeah. 

I do feel bad for the woman though.  Glad she is ok,  I’m wondering if anyone actually did hear her screams and did nothing 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

When the door locked she was unable to get out.

No problem for me as I have a simple latch device fitted to the inside of my 2 bathroom doors with just a handle on the outside. However (and I hope it never happens), should anyone become ill or unconscious inside the bathroom, then force would be needed to gain entry.

Alise 304 Stainless Steel Flip Latch Gate Latches Door Latch Barrel Bolt  with Screws for Doors Buckle Bolt Sliding Lock Hardware|Door Hasps| -  AliExpress

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

If it was a plastic door, why would the cops need bolt cutters to get in?

To get in through the steel roller shutters at the front of the house, as in the picture below.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai woman stuck in bathroom for 3 days rescued by police

image.jpeg

After being reported as a missing person by her sister, a 54-year-old Thai woman has been rescued from her bathroom by Phra Khanong police in Bangkok.

She had been stuck in the room for 3 days, due to a faulty door knob. Once free, the woman said she had even written a goodbye note to her friends and family. She is now safe.

When police arrived, they found the house locked from the inside and had to force their way in. They heard banging emanating from the third floor and found a female inside the bathroom.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-woman-stuck-in-bathroom-for-3-days-rescued-by-police/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-08-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

9 hours ago, connda said:

Humans can go upwards of a month without food.  If she had a water source then she was at no risk of dying of anything but fear.  Scary?  Yeah.  Deadly?  No.

If she had been taking medication, it might have been.

• Like 1

It is ñot the lock but a thinned metal connecting between handle and tapered flange that fit in door jambe. 

This break and you are locked in.

Seen 3 cases  in past 14 years.

Only way to free is to force and prise from door jambe.

Have written to company (no name) that lock should be fitted from outside using key they provide. So can be disassembled from outside.

No response from company.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Funny thing is she lived alone, the poor darling, why would she need a lock on her bathroom door.

I live in a house with 6 family members, when I use the bathroom, I lock the bedroom door, and leave the bathroom door open.

I don't even close the door!

6 hours ago, Dustdevil said:
6 hours ago, Almer said:

It is the lack of common sence regarding who fitted it.

Assuming it was a plastic door I would have thought a bit of kicking and pulling if she was strong eneough would have got a positive result, anyway she is out but  will she get the lock changed!!!!!

Expand  

If it was a plastic door, why would the cops need bolt cutters to get in?

They didn't.  They needed the bolt cutters to get into the house, not into the bathroom.

• Like 1