A father in tears: 14 year old motorcyclist dies in NE in head on collision with pick-up - she was on the phone

webfact

7 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

No I have not had my daily blunt yet, can you not see what I'm up to from your ivory tower?

I've no idea what you are on about. I was making a joke. Get that blunt down you! 

And they say weed isn't addictive! 

Tragic.   And preventable.   I try to be a good example for my own kids by making it a point to give them my cell phone and having them read texts to me (and send texts for me) and NOT text while driving, even when there is time-sensitive chatter related to school pickups.   Hopefully when they are old enough to drive they'll adopt the same habit of not fiddling with a cell phone while driving. 

And on a motorbike?  No way. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AussieinThaiJim said:

90% of children on motorcycles have a phone in the left hand! No helmet and no licence. It’s time that the police got serious and started a campaign to teach the kids and parents the risks. They also hoon and ride their modified bikes to fast! 
Get serious please Thai Police!

It starts much earlier than this. Thai people do not recognise dangerous situations, nor do they teach this to their children. It's not just the 14 year old who ride without helmet, it's everyone. It's Easy Rider times, just that this was 52 years ago in our countries. Way to go Thailand, don't blame it all to the police.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

"braking", not breaking. You don't know how fast the motorbike was going, do you? A modern vehicle is built so flimsily using mostly plastic, this sheet metal,  and very little reinforcement that a front end of a car just about explodes upon any serious impact. At the posted speed limit a motorbike is heavy enough to become a deadly projectile if it hits head on. This is not a fender bender event. Why would you want to shift blame to the driver? 

I thought the same when I read this post. I've seen many vehicles in Thailand damaged like that after a motorcycle ran into a car. And even if the guy hadn't come to a complete stop, if she veered into his lane and hit him, what can he do? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AussieinThaiJim said:

90% of children on motorcycles have a phone in the left hand! No helmet and no licence. It’s time that the police got serious and started a campaign to teach the kids and parents the risks. They also hoon and ride their modified bikes to fast! 

many times more than 3 on the bike passing the phone back and forth

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I can't be the only one who was riding a mini bike on country roads age 10 or 11. Had a 90cc Honda age 13. Was driving our farm truck about 5 km to work age 14. Bought my first car a 56 chevy at age 15 before I had a license, my own money from working.

I get these parents letting their kids ride MB's at early age. But it's the forking cell phone pandemic that caused this carnage

I think cell phone are becoming the number one cause for vehicle accidents not alcohol. Alcohol maybe number one for deaths. The combinations of the two is certain death. Cell phones should be locked away in a glove box. If caught with the phone in hand you must pay a heavy fined or impounded leaving the parent of or that person to come to the police station to recover their phone.

13 hours ago, Formaleins said:

She was 14, legal age is 15. I'm not splitting hairs over a few months. More than likely due to messing on with those damn phones! Terrible shame at the end of the day.

The same could have happened if she were on a bicycle I suppose. 

23 hours ago, webfact said:

The driver of the Nissan Navaro said he saw her on the phone coming towards him. He braked coming to a halt but she rode into his lane on the two lane road and collided head on,

Looking at the damage what speed was she doing Mach1?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AussieinThaiJim said:

90%? Are you sure it's not 90.37%. Ridiculous generalisations, but a typical comment from an old codger.

16 hours ago, Neeranam said:

You have no idea how it is to raise a kid in Isarn on a low salary. 

Please don't try to enforce your Western ideals here.

I raised three UK kids + 3 Issarn step daughters + 1 niece here. I taught them a proper work ethic; safety first when they were learning to drive; gave them an education. All have survived this experience.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I can't be the only one who was riding a mini bike on country roads age 10 or 11. Had a 90cc Honda age 13. Was driving our farm truck about 5 km to work age 14. Bought my first car a 56 chevy at age 15 before I had a license, my own money from working.

I get these parents letting their kids ride MB's at early age. But it's the forking cel phone pandemic that caused this carnage

Got my first bike when I was 7, it was a yamaha yz80.

Used to ride it on main roads into town to buy mum and dad smokes and beer !!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Got my first bike when I was 7, it was a yamaha yz80.

Used to ride it on main roads into town to buy mum and dad smokes and beer !!

At the mere age of 7 years old, as a child, you were sent off on the main roads an a motorbike to buy beer and cigarettes for adults ??????????????????????????

Are you from the Southern States?

Edited by Bert got kinky

"Police are investigating the cause of the accident."

Education springs to mind as well as the possible fact, that a 14-year old might be able to reach her 15th year WITHOUT looking at the phone while driving .......

I see this each and every day but then, what to expect in a country, where motorbike drivers where the perpetual coronaphobia mask but no helmets? Go figure!

26 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

At the mere age of 7 years old, as a child, you were sent off on the main roads an a motorbike to buy beer and cigarettes for adults ??????????????????????????

Calling his mom....mum should be a clue.

On 8/29/2022 at 7:07 AM, webfact said:

A public health volunteer said this showed the danger of looking at phones while on motorcycles.

I wonder why nobody mentions that the minimum age for driving motorbikes is 16 years old.
So, she obviously didn't have a driver license. Probably not a helmet either.
Papa will have a hard time with his conscious to forgive himself to let his daughter use a motorbike.
The rest is history. 
RIP

• Like 1

"A public health volunteer said this showed the danger of looking at phones while on motorcycles."

I wouldn't have thought that it needed a public health volunteer to point this out. It's like saying that it is a good idea to look at the road when you are driving or riding a motorbike!

However, it does sound like something that Anutin would say to make it sound like a "pearl of wisdom" in order to justify his position.

If anything good can come out of this tragedy it could be that it serves as a warning that EVERYBODY should be aware that this foolish behaviour is not "cool" - it can have fatal consequences - even more so than drunk driving, and the RTP should treat it as such.

R.I.P young lady. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kcpattaya said:

I wonder why nobody mentions that the minimum age for driving motorbikes is 16 years old.
So, she obviously didn't have a driver license. Probably not a helmet either.
Papa will have a hard time with his conscious to forgive himself to let his daughter use a motorbike.
The rest is history. 
RIP

That's because the legal age for driving motorbikes is 15 and not 16 years old and it has been mentioned and proved many times on this thread.

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

Normal back in those days.

On 8/29/2022 at 7:21 AM, AhFarangJa said:

Therein lies the problem here, absolutely no mention of the fact she was underage, no licence, possibly no helmet(Not stated in the article).

R.I.P. to another young lady let down by the system.

see it every day kifs on motorcycle phone in hand chatting away..Never going to stop it till the Cops get tough confiscation of bike or phone could be a start. RIP  young lady

• Like 1