Scammed on Lazada. No refund.

LALes

15 hours ago, MikeyIdea said:
On 8/30/2022 at 10:50 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Based on my experience of a number of refund requests (all successful), problems with purchases on Lazada and requests to return for a refund are always dealt with without any issue.  What reason would there be for Lazada to act the way the OP claims if his refund request is legitimate or he's not providing the full story?  It does not make any sense.

Not all refund requests are accepted at all. My own personal experience. I provided clear undesputable evidence and lazada still rejected. 

So what evidence? Vendor advertised max lenght 195 cm for a rain suit, oh good, I order and get a rainsuit where the factory clearly state max size 190 cm (I'm over 190 cm). I scanned both of them side by side, vendor of course rejected, I appealed and lazada rejected. 

Yes, maybe I've been lucky on each occasion and you weren't on that one occasion.   

I've noticed that the description of sized items at the bottom of the page usually states that allowances should be made for possible measurement inaccuracy as measurements are approximate.  

18 hours ago, Venom said:
On 8/31/2022 at 10:54 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

"...check the contents of the package before paying". 

Cash On Delivery does not work like that, the clue is in the name, on delivery hand over the cash.  Then the item is yours and you can open it.

Lazada drivers are not permitted to hand over the package for opening before the payment is made.

Lazada's customer service is generally excellent.

Expand  

Lazada driver? Never seen one in our area, here they are mostly using flash or Kerry. So I can't comment.  

Why don't they allow you to inspect the goods before paying? 

Ok, "Lazada" driver, the bloke who's driving the vehicle that's delivering your Lazada order.

"Why don't they allow you to inspect the goods before paying?"

You need to ask Lazada that question, I don't make their rules but I'd guess that it could be because the delivery driver is a delivery driver. 

The driver's not there to hang around while you mess around with your parcel deciding whether you approve of the contents (the goods aren't sent "on approval", they have a returns service for that) and he's sure not there to take unwanted, opened packages back to the depot without the money that he was expected to collect when his day began.  

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 11:24 AM, Dmaxdan said:

You can even have a courier come to you home who will print a label and return the package free of charge,

No.

On 31-AUG-2022, I returned a damaged mop.

Printed the EMS return label myself, stuck it on the package and then had to ferry it to the nearest Thai post office.

However, I was not charged for the EMS.

52 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

No.

On 31-AUG-2022, I returned a damaged mop.

Printed the EMS return label myself, stuck it on the package and then had to ferry it to the nearest Thai post office.

However, I was not charged for the EMS.

I am not sure if the option always is offered but when I did a return I was able to choose home pickup. Maybe it depends on the courier company if that's available or not.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, maybe I've been lucky on each occasion and you weren't on that one occasion.   

I've noticed that the description of sized items at the bottom of the page usually states that allowances should be made for possible measurement inaccuracy as measurements are approximate.  

I thought that I was clear enough but obvoiusly not. 

Measurement inaccuracy means that you have a target size and actual size can vary a bit both both up and down. What I showed Lazada evidence of and they ignored was that the vendor changed the target size.

Factory target size was 190 cm and we could see 189 to 191 cm with +- 1 cm

The vendor takes the same product and advertise target size 195 cm. We can then see 194 to 196 cm with +- 1 cm. Simple enough

Sorry but what has measurement inaccuracy to do with deliberately changing the advertized size?

And I never said it was the only occasion I was unlucky with Lazada. I have 53 pages of completed purchases Lazada, there has of course been more, just less money so I didn't bother to mention them. I use Shopee now. They have been better this far but I'm pretty sure they will also show their true colours one day.   

Edited by MikeyIdea

16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Ok, "Lazada" driver, the bloke who's driving the vehicle that's delivering your Lazada order.

"Why don't they allow you to inspect the goods before paying?"

You need to ask Lazada that question, I don't make their rules but I'd guess that it could be because the delivery driver is a delivery driver. 

The driver's not there to hang around while you mess around with your parcel deciding whether you approve of the contents (the goods aren't sent "on approval", they have a returns service for that) and he's sure not there to take unwanted, opened packages back to the depot without the money that he was expected to collect when his day began.  

So they make the driver pay for the goods? ???? That's harsh dude. 

• Confused 1

On 9/1/2022 at 2:22 AM, eisfeld said:

Baffled why people recommend COD. What's the supposed advantage?

With COD:

1. You can't inspect the product before handing over the cash and accepting delivery

2. It's really hard to know that you are paying the right company

3. Money might go to seller instantly

4. You can't get cash back as a refund and makes the process more complicated and slower

While with a card (doesn't have to be credit, debit is ok too):

1. Money gues to Lazada directly

2. They keep the funds and release it to a seller with a delay exactly for fraud prevention reasons

3. Refunds are as easy as releasing funds to your card

4. Even if Lazada doesn't play ball you can go to your bank and ask for a chargeback. Merchants *really* don't like these.

5. With USA credit cards, one gets cashback.

Depending on card, can also get Price Protection, Extended Warranty, Purchase Protection.

A few cards still give Return Protection.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

"You may not even have ordered anything."

Several times after I got scammed by a Lazada seller outside the system, I received "COD" deliveries which I knew I hadn't ordered.  They were mostly for small "COD" amounts, usually under B200.  Just out of curiosity, I paid for a B60 COD.  It was 5 rolls of the thinnest imaginable plastic garbage bags, totally useless.  

Curiosity fulfilled, all hence rejected.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/30/2022 at 2:34 PM, LALes said:

I took a chance on a new seller because he had the item I wanted at a good price.  Last year's models are hard to find.  At 9,600 baht for an M52, it was a good deal for a hard-to-find phone but not enough to set off a red flag.  I still say the ultimate responsibility rests with the website for hosting scam sellers.  

Most likely a case of "if it'ss too good to be true, then......"

• Like 1

Have dealt with LAZADA over 6 years. Refunds IF you use credit / debit card are between 2 hours and 6 to 10 days, depending on problem and vendor.

ALSO with a credit / debit card you have ANOTHER venue to challenge the charge, the card issuer.

One time I used COD, I had a problem getting my money back, NEVER COD AGAIN.  600+ purchases, ( 1 ) one gone bad - I think a good record. ( 1/6 of 1% of purchased items )

I have had a vendor call me to ask if I wanted to cancell OR accept another item ( 100bt more costly ) for same price since the item I ordered just went out of stock due to many orders - I buy from them when possible.

USE A CARD, NOT COD.

• Thanks 1

I stopped using Lazada a couple of years ago. Prior to that, I had no problems. I stopped when I ordered a new phone and a new notebook in a short period of time. When they arrived I discovered that both were 2nd hand. After starting a complaint and return process, I gave up

I've bought around 250 items off Lazada and have needed to do around a half dozen refunds---all refunds were without incident...and all refunds occurred over the last year or so.

For the first 50  or so of those 250 total orders I played the COD game, but that can get painful in needing to be around to receive/pay at our house.  Heck, for around 20 or those 50 COD orders (each less than a Bt1,000) I started leaving the money in an envelope just inside the gate where the delivery guy could reach and get it....we (the wife or I) would tell the delivery man this when he called in advance about the delivery sometime during the day.

But for the last 200 or so orders they have all been paid in advance from my Lazada Wallet or bank transfer at time of order.  

As it turns out the half dozen or so refunds have all been within the last year and everything went smoothly.  I used the Lazada refund system...none of this playing ping-pong via chat with the seller....all refunds processed efficiently, zero return shipping fees, and all refund received within approx one week of shipping the item back to the seller.  The Lazada return/refund process is pretty efficient and you are kept well informed of the return/refund status which usually takes about 5 to7 days with the great majority of that time being the return shipping time and seller review time. 

And for one refund just a few weeks ago for a Bt500 pair of jeans as soon as I dropped it off at Kerry (I choose Kerry for the return shipment) I got my refund "immediately" after drop off with Kerry...refund immediately to my Lazada Wallet....didn't have to wait until it got back to the Seller for review...the Lazada SMS called it an Early Refund.   I figure this was authorized by the Seller....a good Seller.

I've also had a few cases of an order for multiple different items where one item may be completely missing.  I apply for a refund....simply say it was not in the package received....upload a picture showing what "was" in the package making it clear in the words an item was completely missing....and Lazada refunded the amount within about 3 days.  All of these cases was for small items only costing around Bt100.

Yea, knock on wood (my head)....the Lazada refund process has worked well for me...and playing the COD can be a pain and offer less scam protection....paying Lazada in advance is a better way I think for both ease of delivery/receipt and refund purposes.

2 hours ago, redinvestor said:

As I understand it you are saying that the following happened:

1. You placed an order for the product on Lazada

2. Lazada seller never shipped the item

3. Third party (or the Lazada seller) used your information from Lazada to send a fake item outside of the platform

4. You paid for this scam item under the pretense that it was lazada which shipped it

If correct I would take another route, as this would likely constitute a major issue for Lazada if it is a PDPA data breach

Contact Lazada DPO directly here (per their privacy policy page):

Thailand 

Lazada Ltd. 

Tel: 02 018 0000 

Email: [email protected] 

Address:
Unit 2901, 29th floor Bhiraj Tower, 689
Sukhumvit Road, North Klongton Subdistrict, Vadhana District, Bangkok 10110

Advise them of the situation and that you expect them to review your case and compensation and that you plan to proceed with a PDPA complaint as well as to take them them before the consumer protection board (the assumption is your loss arose from thier inability to maintain your data)

I assume they will roll over, but if not then proceed here:

PDPA: https://www.mdes.go.th/service?a=28 

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pdpc.th

Office of Consumer Protection (OCPB): They will take the company to court mediation on your behalf:

https://www.ocpb.go.th/

You can actually sumbit the complaint online for this one but may need a Thai friend to do on your behalf as it sometimes has issues registering as a foreigner, make sure you clearly outline what happened as well as what you expect from Lazada

I believe both are at Chaengwattana if you want to go do in person, make sure you present a clear case and provide any related documentation and correspondance you have from the delivery carrier/Lazada/etc

Let us know how it goes

At last, someone who gets it!! 

Excellent comprehension, Redinvestor, and thanks for the tips.  After 10 days of runaround from Lazada, I have moved past this affair.  Bought a new phone at Banana and resigned myself to the loss.  If I want to peel off the scab and get back into this mess, I will follow your suggestions but honestly, I can do without the aggravation.  I will go back to the Police and see if they will do a further investigation with Best, Inc. but beyond that, I'm not eager.

1 minute ago, Road Warrior said:

i had   a similar situation with Lazada with faulty item  just told me to contact THE SELLER  direct 

i told them YOU ARE THE SELLER  !!!!!!!!  several e m to Lazada but all fruitless, in the end  gave up !!!!  

LAZADA are not the seller.

There is a fairly robust refund system which you clearly did not follow.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Road Warrior said:

i had   a similar situation with Lazada with faulty item  just told me to contact THE SELLER  direct 

i told them YOU ARE THE SELLER  !!!!!!!!  several e m to Lazada but all fruitless, in the end  gave up !!!!  

You will notice a "chat" thingy on the order page, unfortunately, few read English, but can get round it...

18 hours ago, redinvestor said:

As I understand it you are saying that the following happened:

1. You placed an order for the product on Lazada

2. Lazada seller never shipped the item

3. Third party (or the Lazada seller) used your information from Lazada to send a fake item outside of the platform

4. You paid for this scam item under the pretense that it was lazada which shipped it

If correct I would take another route, as this would likely constitute a major issue for Lazada if it is a PDPA data breach

Contact Lazada DPO directly here (per their privacy policy page):

Thailand 

Lazada Ltd. 

Tel: 02 018 0000 

Email: [email protected] 

Address:
Unit 2901, 29th floor Bhiraj Tower, 689
Sukhumvit Road, North Klongton Subdistrict, Vadhana District, Bangkok 10110

Advise them of the situation and that you expect them to review your case and compensation and that you plan to proceed with a PDPA complaint as well as to take them them before the consumer protection board (the assumption is your loss arose from thier inability to maintain your data)

I assume they will roll over, but if not then proceed here:

PDPA: https://www.mdes.go.th/service?a=28 

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pdpc.th

Office of Consumer Protection (OCPB): They will take the company to court mediation on your behalf:

https://www.ocpb.go.th/

You can actually sumbit the complaint online for this one but may need a Thai friend to do on your behalf as it sometimes has issues registering as a foreigner, make sure you clearly outline what happened as well as what you expect from Lazada

I believe both are at Chaengwattana if you want to go do in person, make sure you present a clear case and provide any related documentation and correspondance you have from the delivery carrier/Lazada/etc

Let us know how it goes

By using the Lazada platform the buyer accepts the T&Cs.

The conditions state that the user acknowledges that third party sellers use the platform.

When ourchasing items from a third party seller the contract is between the seller and buyer only. Lazada can act as an ageny to collect the monies.

Lazada would haveto pass the buyers details onto the seller for the platform to function.

The seller would have a contract with Lazada when they regisrered as a seller.

Given that Lazada suspended the seller for breaching that contract is not an admission of liability. It is only recognizing that the seller breached their obligations to Lazada. 

On 8/30/2022 at 1:02 PM, jaywalker2 said:

The OP didn't buy the goods from Lazada. He ordered it from a Lazada vendor but the vendor, instead of sending the goods, conveyed the purchase information to a third party who then sent the fradulent goods.  The OP wants Lazada to take responsbility because their vendor was party to the fraud. Lazada is apparently refusing because the original order was never sent (and finally canceled).

Is that so hard to understand?

No but you cannot prove that the information came from the seller. It could also be a trick on the OP's side or even him talking to friends who got wind of it and scammed him. He can refuse that this is true but the seller also can claim he did not pass on his data. Maybe the seller did not even know it and it was an employee..

Its just too hard to prove and this goes outside of lazada.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cleopatra2 said:

By using the Lazada platform the buyer accepts the T&Cs.

The conditions state that the user acknowledges that third party sellers use the platform.

When ourchasing items from a third party seller the contract is between the seller and buyer only. Lazada can act as an ageny to collect the monies.

Lazada would haveto pass the buyers details onto the seller for the platform to function.

The seller would have a contract with Lazada when they regisrered as a seller.

Given that Lazada suspended the seller for breaching that contract is not an admission of liability. It is only recognizing that the seller breached their obligations to Lazada. 

All data handlers and processors has specific obligations in regards to handling customer data, this is not just covered under some T&C as being ok  if there is a suspected data breach this would need to be recognised, further, marketplace platforms are responsible for ensuring the legitimacy of their sellers its not the wild west, this is why in most circumstances you will find the customer service very effective in solving issues.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

No but you cannot prove that the information came from the seller. It could also be a trick on the OP's side or even him talking to friends who got wind of it and scammed him. He can refuse that this is true but the seller also can claim he did not pass on his data. Maybe the seller did not even know it and it was an employee..

Its just too hard to prove and this goes outside of lazada.

Of course this would all be measured on the balanace of probabilities, but if an item was shipped to the user with the users specific details within a certain timeline of them ordering it would be very suspect and then that seller is shutdown soon after for not following platform T&Cs? He could have also had his account hacked but that assumes he ordered from a specific fake seller at the same time that his account was hacked - seems quite improbable. FYI my understanding is all this data transfer is tracked internally anyway so they will know when user details are passed to vendor or delivery carrier or even accessed by internal staff so this is something the DPO could address. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lesson learnt.

Don't accept a package till you have inspected the contents. If the courier  refuses then refuse the package. Keep a recording of the refusal as a video.

Don't use COD

If Lazanda refuses to cooperate then send a legal letter in the country where they have their HQ

Always video the opening of the package with the courier present

Check the detailed feedback of the supplier and make sure they are established for a few years and have feedback that does not look too good.

Don't use Lazanda and give them and the seller negative feedback,

I had the same problem with a package from Ali Express with a broken boot zip. I filmed the whole process of opening with my mobile phone and raised the complaint within 10 minutes of receipt.

Ali express found in my favour but the problem was I had to either send the boots back at my own expense and then get only the boot costs refunded or accept 50% of the costs refunded without having to return the boots.

In my case the boots were kept with 50% back and then  I managed to fix the broken zip with help from Youtube.

If you choose to use a supplier who is not in your own country and use COD then your recourse is limited. Sometimes it's better to pay a few buck more to work with a reputable supplier.

Farangs will always be seen as scam targets so follow these rules and you will limit your exposure to this.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, redinvestor said:

All data handlers and processors has specific obligations in regards to handling customer data, this is not just covered under some T&C as being ok  if there is a suspected data breach this would need to be recognised, further, marketplace platforms are responsible for ensuring the legitimacy of their sellers its not the wild west, this is why in most circumstances you will find the customer service very effective in solving issues.

Of course this would all be measured on the balanace of probabilities, but if an item was shipped to the user with the users specific details within a certain timeline of them ordering it would be very suspect and then that seller is shutdown soon after for not following platform T&Cs? He could have also had his account hacked but that assumes he ordered from a specific fake seller at the same time that his account was hacked - seems quite improbable. FYI my understanding is all this data transfer is tracked internally anyway so they will know when user details are passed to vendor or delivery carrier or even accessed by internal staff so this is something the DPO could address. 

There is no evidence that Lazada have leaked the buyers details.

The OP stated it was the buyer who passed his details on , only then to make a tenuous connection because the buyer was found on the Lazada  platform they are responsible.

Although the OP claims the package was sent by an unknown party  they have not stated how this was arrived at.  It is possible the seller actually sent the package.

The claim of data breach is at this point unsupported.

The original post timeline is incorrect, claiming he bought the item last week ( from the posting date ), but from the  the activities described this cannot be possible. At one point he is claiming a week of communication with Lazada, in addition to waiting 2 days after making a report to the police. 

The OP responses are vague ,lack specifics and contradictory.

Originally claiming the details were passed on by the seller. Later changing to His details passed on by Lazada.

Edited by cleopatra2