Thai govt reaffirms ban on e-cigarettes, vaping

webfact

image.jpeg

File photo

By Online Reporter 

Thailand’s government has no plan to overturn its ban on e-cigarettes and vaping, according to comments made by the country’s public health minister.

Speaking on Monday, (Aug 29), Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul reaffirmed the ban on the import and use of e-cigarettes.

Mr Anutin said that e-cigarettes pose significant health risks to users and that vaping was helping to create new smokers particularly among young people in Thailand.

According to a survey conducted by the National Statistical Office in 2021, more than half of the 80,000 e-cigarette smokers in Thailand were found to be aged between 15 and 24 years old.

Full story: https://www.huahintoday.com/thailand-news/thai-govt-reaffirms-ban-on-e-cigarettes-vaping/

huahintoday-logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2022-08-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, transam said:

But vaping is a nuisance, clouds of cr@p smelling stuff annoying others. 

Plus, users look tools.....????

More mind numbing fashionable than not. Less, the concerns of the proven to be toxic chemicals. 

In the long of it, smoking is less harmful. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

More mind numbing fashionable than not. Less, the concerns of the proven to be toxic chemicals. 

In the long of it, smoking is less harmful. 

There's a fat Chinese looking bloke turns up at my watering hole, sits down, orders a beer, gets a bag of food out.

He sits there with a vape in one hand and a spoon in the other, mixes all three. I look in disbelief through the clouds of cr@p, and wonder why the boss lady does sod all about it. I normally have to move....???? 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

There's a fat Chinese looking bloke turns up at my watering hole, sits down, orders a beer, gets a bag of food out.

He sits there with a vape in one hand and a spoon in the other, mixes all three. I look in disbelief through the clouds of cr@p, and wonder why the boss lady does sod all about it. I normally have to move....???? 

Chinese looking...?? 

Hmmm.....????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, proton said:

Went to a concert on Sunday off Rama 2 Bangkok, quite a few Thais smoking these things, like being next to a bonfire.

The way things are vaping is ok for Thais but farang get fined for vaping....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, smedly said:

as usual the current government well behind the curve, they are widely on sale everywhere and masses are doing it, so you carry on with your ban - nobody else is lol :cheesy: 

Exactly. Every law in Thailand is ignored and rarely enforced, so why should the e-cig law be any different? I've watched many videos on YouTube centred around Thai nightspots, and countless people are vaping - strangely, only women, although maybe the person filming only concentrates on them ???? and the men do it too.

10 hours ago, Tim207 said:

It saddens me that so many of the commenters here want to ban other peoples freedom of choice when it has little to no effect on them. Offended by the sight of someone doing something they dont want to do, or god forbid, smelling a fruity sent as you walk past someone is hardly an imposition on your delicate lives.

Perhaps you should reflect on what activities you enjoy that others might find offensive and want banned. personally I hate seeing people walking around the city in beach attire or having to smell stale beer or seeing guys holding hands with some girl outside the bar areas that is clearly a rented date. I accept these as other peoples right to choose. If you are so worried about what other people do, maybe you need a hobby. The world has too many petty tyrants already.

I was eating inside an open-fronted restaurant recently when someone sitting at a table just outside lit up a tobacco cigarette. The breeze was blowing the smoke to my table and it sent me into a coughing fit. The rest of my meal was wasted. I'd have had no problem with someone vaping. They ought to be thinking not just of the smokers, but those who are getting their smoke involuntarily.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Sir if you don't like E-cigs fair enough....But the vape clouds give off virtually zero smell......E-cigs are 1000 times cleaner than tobacco cigs.......I know I have used both plenty...

Don't be silly, there is a selection of girly and naff smells, think the last one was like burning strawberry's.

In Thailand it is illegal to use them, illegal to smoke anywhere near an establishment, think 5 metres away.

You probably can't smell them because you are using them, so pleeeeease don't give me all that cr@p....????

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Don't be silly, there is a selection of girly and naff smells, think the last one was like burning strawberry's.

In Thailand it is illegal to use them, illegal to smoke anywhere near an establishment, think 5 metres away.

You probably can't smell them because you are using them, so pleeeeease don't give me all that cr@p....????

I used to vape with odorless E-liquid before I quit.
You can get Tobacco flavor but that tastes like <deleted> like cigs.

• Like 1