Parents left heartbroken after daughter, 7, found dead in van at private school - mother suspects foul play

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Parents heartbroken

A mother suspects foul play after her daughter was found dead at the end of a school day in a van that had been parked since morning. 

She has told police that she thinks her daughter may have been attacked and made to look as though she had spent all day in the van. 

Earlier Phan Thong, Chonburi, police major Prasert Kulabutradee had been alerted about the death of a child at a well known private school in the area.

Along with rescue services they found the dead body of "A" aged just 7 on the seat behind the driver.

She was face down, pale, with blood coming out of her mouth. 

Next to the child - in primary class 2/2 - was a school bag and a water cup, reported Daily News (the story was also widely reported across Thai television). 

Police interviewed teachers and the driver who gave evidence that the van had picked up children from home and it was believed they had all alighted on arrival at school. 

After that the driver went to park in another area ahead of the home run later in the day.

At 4 pm the driver went back to the vehicle, found the unresponsive and clearly dead child and alerted the head teacher and the authorities. 

Later the mother of the girl filed a report with the Phan Thong police against the school and those responsible.

She told investigators that following the incident three teachers had come to her house but would not reveal precisely what had happened. 

One asked callously: "Does she have an underlying medical condition?"

When pressed about what had happened it was admitted that "your child is not breathing now".

The mother said this sent her into shock but still the teachers would not give more details.

The mother said that this was far more than a child suffocating in a van after being forgotten, as bad as that is.

She said her child is quite large and would have been easily seen.

She wants to know if her child was attacked then put in the van to make it appear she had died there.

She said she had paid good money for a private education for her child and expected a far greater duty of care than this for her only daughter.

She said that she would take the case to the limit of the law. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-08-31

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 10

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A student is missing in class - the parents should be contacted immediately ask asked where the child is. IF the child was sent to school but never arrived in class then search protocol commences immediately. 

This has been affected by the current era of covidnoia.  When a student is coughing, sneezing, has a sore throat, or a slight fever, the school personnel prefer if that student stays home.  To help pave the way for this to happen, no consequences for truancy are likely, and the rate of absenteeism has skyrocketed.  For the most part, this is a satisfactory arrangement on all sides--the parents are not pestered over the whys and wherefores that they have not elected to send their children on a particular day, and the school does not need to put up with the fears of other students or their parents should one student arrive with the sniffles.

Obviously, in this 7-year-old girl's case, the paranoid system has failed her.  It really is a tragedy--but the tragedy starts with the fear and medical/scientific ignorance that induces it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Amazing that the driver can miss noticing a kid left behind. Fully understand the mom is suspicious of foul play.

Glad my son goes to a school where I am contacted if he is late and I have not noticed them beforehand. 

Poor girl!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I cant say for others but I am a creature of habit.  If I was one of these van drivers, and particularly considering the number of deaths like this over the years, I would make it a simple routine to go through my van at the end of each run.  I really find it hard to believe that any adult would not do the same considering what you are carrying.

RIP poor child and condolences to the parents.

• Like 1

Don't understand how this can happen.. Why not checked if everybody left the van  and even check for things kids have forgotten.. Why not call the parents if the student is not in the class or school without notice.. RIP to kid..

Edited by ikke1959
  • Like 1

Thai schools take roll about 1000000 times an hour.   Everybody knew she wasn't at school.

Not one person in the van said anything?  Not one teacher asked the driver, or any kid in her classroom, or in the van if she was in the van?

This is pretty typical.   If it's not 100% your problem, it's 0% your problem.   Everyone probably thinking someone else will take care of it.

complete failure on every level, happens every day on a much smaller scale.  

Edited by Iamfalang

6 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

^ This.

It's unbelievable that no effort is made to verify the wherebouts of a child missing from the classroom.  Yet it's a common factor in every one of these tragedies.

While it perhaps should be as you suggest, the fact is that it is totally believable that no one would make an effort to locate a missing student.  Here are the reasons:

1) Many students stay home these days to avoid being stigmatized for having symptoms of illness.  People are deathly afraid of covid, and some students are even sent home if symptomatic.  Absenteeism, for this reason, has never been more commonplace.

2) Teachers are over-burdened and over-worked.  A local private school where I am has 56 students in one classroom, with one teacher, and the school has refused to split it into two classes (probably for economic reasons).  Any teacher taking the time to look up the parents' contact information and make phone calls would be, at the same time, sacrificing time and attention that needs to be devoted to those present.  And imagine the scenario with a dozen or more students absent from a class that size (sometimes nearly half the class can be absent on a given day).  The teacher simply cannot follow up on all of those who are absent--at least, not right then, during teaching hours.

This is Thailand.  But even in America, some teachers wear adult diapers because they don't have time enough to go to the restroom owing to the requirement to be present with the students full-time throughout the day.  Laws forbid leaving students unsupervised, even for a few minutes.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

three teachers had come to her house but would not reveal precisely what had happened. 

One asked callously: "Does she have an underlying medical condition?"

Where's that Koh Tao policeman with his 'You're young enough to make another one.' when you need him. 

15 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What did she die of ?

I don't think that sitting on a bus for eight hours would kill the girl

Heatstroke?

“In the confined space of a car, temperatures can climb so rapidly that they overwhelm a child’s ability to regulate his or her internal temperature. The body, especially a small body, can go into shock quickly, and circulation to vital organs can fail.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/2142475/heres-what-happens-to-your-body-when-youre-left-in-a-hot-car/

Edited by chickenslegs
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

This has been affected by the current era of covidnoia.  When a student is coughing, sneezing, has a sore throat, or a slight fever, the school personnel prefer if that student stays home.  To help pave the way for this to happen, no consequences for truancy are likely, and the rate of absenteeism has skyrocketed.  For the most part, this is a satisfactory arrangement on all sides--the parents are not pestered over the whys and wherefores that they have not elected to send their children on a particular day, and the school does not need to put up with the fears of other students or their parents should one student arrive with the sniffles.

Obviously, in this 7-year-old girl's case, the paranoid system has failed her.  It really is a tragedy--but the tragedy starts with the fear and medical/scientific ignorance that induces it.

... but the tragedy starts with the fear and medical/scientific ignorance that induces it.

Children were dying in school minivans in Thailand well before covid.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

... but the tragedy starts with the fear and medical/scientific ignorance that induces it.

Children were dying in school minivans in Thailand well before covid.

You are undoubtedly correct; but I hope you will read my post again and note that I was not applying my use of the word "tragedy" directly to this particular case, but rather to the broader tragedy of the systemic failure on account of paranoia which I feel may have contributed to this particular individual tragedy.

12 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

tend to agree with you that the driver should have the primary responsibility, if indeed the child had been neglected in the van.  The parents of this child question that scenario, and think something more nefarious may have been going on.  We just don't know yet what exactly happened--and if someone had placed the child on the van, as the mother suspects, then the driver should not be guilty.  Until the facts are known, we should be careful not to lay blame where it may not be due.

Perhaps the article is unclear, but wasn’t the child on the bus initially (i.e. transport to school), thus she never turned up in class ?

OR, as you suggest, could the child have been on a different bus, and somehow ‘intercepted’ and placed on this other bus later to mask the unthinkable ?

I agree with you... innocent until proven guilty, however the primary suspect and primary person accountable remains the driver and he needs to be questioned extremely firmly.